Hip Infection* I'm back home

Oh no! I’m so sorry. The fall must have frightened the daylights out of you. I too feel if you did any significant damage you’d be in severe pain. With any luck some generous rest and icing has helped a bit since yesterday, but wouldn’t be surprised if it hasn’t felt effective yet either. Hopefully the home health nurse is able to offer you reassurance tomorrow. I’d be cautious about engaging in any PT until you get over the hump from your accidental fall. Wishing you lots of comfort. :console2: Please stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.
@Linda1

Today I am a little sore, but just taking tylenol. I think I dodged a bullet! Today is the first time I put on shorts that aren't a stretchy fabric. Oh my, I didn't realize how swollen my hip is. I guess I need to ice and elevate more.

At nineteen days post op, you’re in the infancy of recovery, Linda. Swelling can last for months. Doesn’t mean it will, but it can. I’ve learned a few things during my time here and I’m sharing two below. One from Admin Jamie, the other from FA CricketHip -

Jamie has shared that it’s our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on it’s own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

CricketHip is involved in Therapeutic Massage and has often relayed this exercise to assist in manual lymph drainage. You may want to give it a try. I have, myself, and it’s very easy. CricketHip explains that this gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and pain -

While laying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval. Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.

ice, ice, and elevate...it’s still early days. :ice:
@Linda1

Layla is right, about the Lymphatic System.. It tends to go into shock after a surgery such as a joint replacement, especially since we have many lymph nodes clustered on each side of our groin.
I began my Manual Lymph Drainage as soon as I could, while still in the recovery room.
You are still going to swell but the more you do with your deep breathing and light strokes up towards your navel, the more you will be priming the area to heal and recover.
Lymphatic Drainage is also good for moving inflammation through the system and that's always a good thing.
You might be able to find someone to help you with it, also. It's a difficult time, due to the Covid restrictions, though. So that's why doing some simple MLD methods could be super beneficial for you now.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions... :SUNsmile:

Last edited:
Wanted to take a minute and thank everyone for the helpful suggestions.
I had a surprise today. Last Friday my staples were taken out and steri strips put on. Today the last of the strips fell off and I asked my husband to check incision. Guess what he found! A staple! I don't know how it got overlooked, but I went to my family doctor and had it removed. Glad it was seen as I'd hate for it to get any more embedded in the skin.

Well my 4th wasn't so great. I had a scare. Friday I started running a 101 temp. My hip was also sore. But I had my first outpatient PT the day before. Saturday still running high temp and only other symptoms was headache and sore hip. I decided to call the on call service and they said to give it another 48 hours. I was a little surprised with what they said. Well Saturday night I started with terrible stomach pain. Went to ER Sunday morning. My white blood count was high so had ct scan. Turns out I have a bad bacterial infection in my intestines. I was so relieved that the infection wasn't in my hip. Now to recover from this. The 2 antibiotics cause the same symptoms as the infection. I'm wiped out!

I’m so sorry @Linda1 :console2:
That must have been frightening and miserable not knowing what was happening. Thankfully you know what you’re dealing with and hopefully it’s under control soon.

Consider speaking with your physician about taking a pro-biotic, while on the antibiotics. I do know you’re not supposed to take them at the same time, but far removed from one another. It should be beneficial to your digestive tract also in replenishing the good fighting bacteria which is killed right along with the bad.
Following is an article from the BoneSmart Nutritional Library -

Feel better soon!

Oh, no! As if recovering from hip surgery wasn’t enough! What a scary thing to go through and miserable, too. I developed a UTI shortly after my surgery and I had to call my brother to take me in as I wasn’t driving yet and my husband was back at work. I think our immune systems are just depleted. I’m glad you got it sorted out and got the antibiotics going. I hope you feel better soon!

Gosh Linda, that's horrible! I can't imagine how frightening that must have been and on a holiday weekend, to boot.
I hope you have grand plans to rest, sleep and do nothing for a while.. ((hugs))

Healing hugs coming your way.:friends:

Thanks for all the good thoughts. I'm feeling a little bit better. Still having some nausea with the antibiotics. I have zofran and it helps. Question. I had my first out patient PT last Thursday. I was sore Friday and with high fever worried about hip. ER sorted out my problem. But my hip soreness is worse. I can barely move without pain. With being so sick I haven't been doing much of anything to agitate the hip. Can it just flare up for no reason? Last week I had 0 pain. Just had my limp which PT said was from weak muscles.

Question. I had my first out patient PT last Thursday. I was sore Friday
Can it just flare up for no reason? Last week I had 0 pain.

I think you’ve already provided the reason why you’re hip is hurting above. Please refrain from PT right now, it’s too early and it’s unnecessary. You have enough on your plate with your digestive issues and PT can wait for weeks. You may find you‘ll never need it. Concentrate on walking as your PT and ice any and all areas of discomfort as it explains in the article on ICE in the Recovery Guidelines in post No. 4. I hope the discomfort eases soon.

Best wishes for your comfort and healing.
@Linda1

I looked up bacterial infections of the intestine and it shows joint pain as one of the symptoms.. maybe it's just affecting the recently operated on joint the most?
But to repeat what Layla just posted, you really don't need PT at this stage of the game, especially this early.
I am so sorry you are sick on top of having your surgery. Please take care of yourself and try not to fret. :console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie