THR I'm Back, anyone else in their 80's?

Fearful

Country
United States United States
I've been gone for 8 years and now I'm back reading all I can find looking for help here again. I had my first hip replacement in August 2012 and will have my left hip replacement on August 26. I thought I would be braver this time around but find I'm more worried than last time. Maybe because I had a rough time last time and with the Covid 19 I feel alone.

I'm now 83 will be 84 in September and lost my husband four years ago. I'm now in MN living three miles from my daughter and family with my little dog Ethan. Was doing well except for the hip pain that finally got so bad that I knew I had to get it taken care of. My daughter will be staying with me for two weeks and then hopefully I'll be able to take care of myself. I keep ordering what I see recommended so at least I have that taken care of.

It it's a strange feeling with the virus. My daughter comes over once in a while wearing a mask and I don't get to see my grandchildren or for that matter anyone else. I order groceries online and anything else that I need. I'm so glad that you are still here. I remembered the website after all of these years. You have really changed and grown. Good for you!

I hope I've put this in the right place.

Hello @Fearful - and :welome: back.

Here is some reading, to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

@Fearful
Welcome Back to BoneSmart :welome:

Life with this virus is strange for all of us, visiting with friends and relatives wearing masks, staying 6 ft apart and so many changes to our daily lives.
Glad you are going to be able to have your THR at the end of the month, and your daughter will be able to spend the early days with you.

Every joint replacement is different even on the same person, hoping this one goes more smoothly for you.

Wow. So glad you’re back. I was just on a thread commenting about this surgery and how it can help no matter what your age is. I’ve had a few surgeries, two on my hip, and I can’t say it ever got easier with the nerves. Just a fewer things that were unknown. That’s why it’s so great to find a forum like this. Here they get it: no matter how nervous or cranky or giddy you get. Lol. Yes, we’ll be here for you, again, every step of the way. Hopefully, you got the rough one out of the way first. I’m sure it will be helpful to “catch up” on the latest. ❤️

Welcome back. We are very glad you looked for us again. I was glad to read that your daughter lives near by and that she will stay with you for a couple of weeks. This will give you a good start to recovery with support. It is hard these days with Covid and the adjustments to our daily life it has brought. I am very thankful that there are so many things we can get on line these days and magically appear on our door steps. . Due to my bad joints I was already ordering a lot on line so that I would not have to walk the parking lots and stores searching so I just expanded the items I order. As you know, there is lots of support here and much information. I hope you have a peaceful night.

Hi @Fearful
Certainly is a strange time and I'm sorry that you are having to do this amidst the current situation.
I have faith in our medical community and all of the world's keenest minds are working toward a vaccine to get this virus gone.
We are always reminding members not to compare recoveries, even on the same person so hopefully this one will be much easier on you.
Then you can be pain free and mobile again so when we can get back to normal...you'll be ready.
Your Bonesmart family will be here to cheer you on.:friends:

Thanks to everyone for your replies! So nice to hear from you. I have to admit that I'm worried about doing this at this age. Have you heard from anyone my age having this surgery?

Fearful,
We have many members 80 and over. Would you like me to change your title to something that includes your age to help bring those members to your thread?

@Fearful Welcome back - I'm still here after all these years! :heehee:

Yes, we have had many members who have had THR at your age or older. Assuming you pass all the pre-op checks you should be just fine. Things have changed over the years. New methods and approaches. Fewer restrictions.

We'll be with you all the way!

Hi @Fearful and welcome back! My first was 7 years ago so I would have missed you.

My very frail mother had a partial hip replacement at almost 92, with dementia complicating matters. Somehow she sailed through surgery with almost no lasting cognitive effects, and went home to her facility (and back on hospice) after 6 nights. Another week of recuperation, and our stupendous PT helped her to be up and walking again more quickly than expected. So, you are far from the oldest.

Nerves yep. But you have previous experience to draw on, so save the nerves for the Covid situation. I had a small outpatient surgery early June, at just the right time, but I was still quite nervous. All the procedures were well in place though, which helped calm me.

Keep posting-- get your nerves out that way! :yes: :flwrysmile:

Thanks for the encouraging words. Yes, Pumpkin I would love to change my title!

Fearful,
Changed your title to I'm Back, anyone else in their 80's?
If you would like something else let us know.

I have to admit that I'm worried about doing this at this age. Have you heard from anyone my age having this surgery?
Hello, @Fearful ,
My mother had a knee replacement when she was about 85 and she had an uneventful recovery. Knee replacements are said to be harder to recover from than hip replacements are, so I think you will be all right.

It's good that your daughter is coming to stay with you for a couple of weeks. That will set you off to a good start.
My mother came to stay with us after her surgery and she went back to her home again about 3 weeks post-op. I was able to visit her almost every day and I drove her to doctor appointments and PT.

Thanks Celle. I know that 84 is pretty old for this surgery. I put it off much too long looking for anyway I could find to not get the surgery. Just not sure about the recovery. A big part of this is that I have a little dog who is afraid of everyone and I don't have a fence. I'm going to have to be able to take him outside on a leash to potty and then to pick up the potty since I live in a condo. My daughter is taking two weeks off work so I'm going to have to be able to take this on myself after that. He would be traumatized if I boarded him. I know this sounds strange but he's all I have right now especially during the virus.

So just hoping this old body heals quickly or at least to this point. Otherwise, no hurry. I can just take my time to heal but have to be able to take care of my best friend.

Of course we understand that your little dog's welfare is important too. Our four-legged companions are just as much an essential part of our family as a human would be.

Here's something about how to bend down to pick things up from the floor after a hip replacement - it's in this article: Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule

"There is also this tip to pick things up from the floor - it's called the 'golfer's reach'!
Make sure you have one hand on something stable like a kitchen counter
Put your operated leg back as far as you can so it is in line with the straight of your back
Bend your good leg and reach down with your free hand

golfers reach 2-horz.jpg

As you can see, the operated leg is in a straight line with the body so not violating the rules. It's a very easy manoeuvre but do be careful the first few days and always hold on to something firm like the kitchen counter or an armchair until you are confident with it. "

What about a long handled scooper. I just saw this on Chewy.com but I am sure other places have something similar. This one they say is good for picking up from sidewalk. You might need to get one before surgery to practice and see what works best for you. There are a bunch of different ones.
Four Paws Allen's Spring Action Plain Scooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Otherwise, no hurry. I can just take my time to heal but have to be able to take care of my best friend.

Dogs are the best! I would consider getting a long handled pooper scooper. I don't want you to fall!

Hello, @Fearful
Welcome back to BoneSmart, thanks for rejoining us!
My 83 yr old mom had her second THR at 81 and did really well. My sisters and I took turns spending the overnights with her and after the 6th night she sent us on our way. At one week post op her pain was very manageable and amazingly by Day 9 she was no longer using an assistive device. She maintained she felt more sure footed without one.
In a nutshell, in those first couple weeks, she did better than I did at age 60 when I had my hip replaced. While I was hesitant to share this because all recoveries are different, even with the same person, recovery can be uneventful and done successfully after age 80!

We are navigating strange times indeed with Covid. My only concern is that since many are feeling isolated and lonely these days, through no choice of their own, that once your daughter leaves you’ll find it difficult initially. Do you have other family or small group of friends you could count on for daily communication in those early weeks? Either via the phone or internet if they fear face to face visits? I hope your living arrangements allow for you to sit outdoors somewhere and breathe in the fresh air and soak in some healing rays.

Just as important as the necessary recovery aids, I think given the pandemic you need to have plenty to do to occupy your mind, especially once your daughter leaves. I’m going to leave a few suggestions and if any interest you, you may want to plan ahead so your days don’t get too boring in those very early weeks of healing. You could purchase some Crossword Puzzles, Adult Coloring Books, search online for some new recipes if you enjoy cooking or baking, play online games, make a list of friends / family to call and catch up with, or email. Lately I’ve been pulling up and enjoying old shows from the 60’s and 70’s, taking me back to a simpler time. Then there’s always BoneSmart. Lights never go out here so you can check in day or night, we’ll be here. Also, not sure if the Social Room was here for your last surgery but that can provide hours of entertainment in itself. Heres a link

My wish for you in the coming days and weeks is comfort and peace of mind. You can do this, and rather than call you, Fearful, because I don’t like the connotation, going forward I will call you, Faithful! Shh, just our little secret. :wink:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562