THR I'm back after 6 years. Good to see so many kind helpful friends here.

@Granny Di - the leg lifts will make issues with the psoas worse. It's a bit early to worry about any long term issues with the psoas, but you definitely need to listen to your body. The psoas can take some time to settle because it's used in so much of our movement - especially since its located above and below the hip.

My PT told me not to do any leg lifts during the first few months. They hurt and, since I could do them before, there was no reason to believe it wouldn't come back on its own. His philosophy was that if something hurt while you were doing it, stop immediately. If something hurt that night or next day and didn't go away within a day, don't do it again for a while. For me, too much activity could be like a sunburn - it doesn't seem like much at the time but is exponentially worse later.

When I had a true psoas issue months later, my PT had me shut everything down except "essential walking" for a month to let it calm down. You're probably not in that boat yet, but do take a step back and let things settle. Then, if you want to exercise, add only one thing back at a time so that you can see how your body reacts to it.

Tag me if you have questions or want to talk!

Hi Granny Di

I have been suffering with psoas pain and swelling since my hip replacement. I finally have been diagnosed with a mal positioned acetabular cup from my hip replacement surgery done on 08/19/2020. My symptoms are very bad pain and swelling with inability to do straight leg raise while lying on my back. I can’t sleep very much due to the pain and physical therapy only makes everything worse. The final diagnostic test that erased all doubt as to what the problem is was an ultra sound guided injection right at the spot where the psoas crosses the edge of the acetabular cup. The pain killing medicine took all the pain away until it wore off proving that is the spot where my pain is coming from. They also found a large amount of fluid in that spot providing even more proof of the diagnosis. I am having a revision on 02/11/2022 (two weeks from now) to fix the problem. A revision is not always the only way to correct psoas problems caused by the acetabular cup overhanging and shredding the psoas they can also do a psoas release surgery to get the psoas off the acetabular cup. You might be able to save yourself all the pain and time trying to find out what is wrong by requesting that your doctor orders a diagnostic injection to the psoas to either rule the psoas out or in as your problem.

Hope this helps

Golfer67

While golfer67 is correct that a cup placement issue or (in my case) hip dysplasia that caused a mild overhang can cause psoas issues that require further intervention or surgery, you are far too early in recovery to even think about that. I had psoas tightness and pain and difficulty with leg lifts during the first few months with my first THR. As recovery continued, the issues went away and even during those early months were never severe as long as I didn't push it. The same for my second THR but, after initial recovery, it re-emerged and got increasingly worse. The two were very different experiences. You are still in the first category. As the expression goes "Don't borrow trouble.". This is nothing to worry about at this point - just listen to your body and adjust activities accordingly.

Hi @Granny Di,
I've read the beginning of your second recovery thread and wish you a very good recovery. - Minus 41 Wow! Here in the Frankfurt area, it's not even below freezing. However, we do have a lot of Covid (Omicron variant), and it's still going up. However, the German government decided not to have any lock-downs this time. Everything is open but you need to have 2 vaccinations plus a negative test or 2 vaccinations and one booster vaccination. You've got to prove that and show your ID card every time you want to get into a restaurant, a café, or a swimming-pool.

So I hope that you'll recover and will be able to walk painlessly and do your favourite kinds of exercise again when spring comes. I myself have still not had a second hip replacement. I was going to participate in Frankfurt Marathon last year, but it was cancelled because of Covid. So I did it virtually - even though I was very slow.

By the way - I'm a Granny now. I've got two grandchildren - they are cousins, a boy and a girl, both born last year.

Keep us up to date with your recovery and take care. Love from Constanze

How are you doing @Granny Di at this four month point in recovery? Please let us know next time you stop by. Hopefully your issues are resolving and you’re enjoying steady progress. Happy Four Month Anniversary! Hope to hear from you soon. :)

I'm feeling very positive! The pain in my groin has gone away and I have been walking 2 kms daily. Yesterday I Increased my kms to 5 and although I was tired after walking in soft snow I had no pain and I have not taken any pain meds for a few days. So things are looking up. It is almost 6 months since my operation and my dr said. it takes 6 months for the insert to settle. I am looking forward to summer hiking and biking.

Thanks for updating. It’s great to hear you’re progressing so nicely. May it long continue. Happy hiking and biking this Summer! :walking::bicycle1:
@Granny Di

@Granny Di - the leg lifts will make issues with the psoas worse. It's a bit early to worry about any long term issues with the psoas, but you definitely need to listen to your body. The psoas can take some time to settle because it's used in so much of our movement - especially since its located above and below the hip.

My PT told me not to do any leg lifts during the first few months. They hurt and, since I could do them before, there was no reason to believe it wouldn't come back on its own. His philosophy was that if something hurt while you were doing it, stop immediately. If something hurt that night or next day and didn't go away within a day, don't do it again for a while. For me, too much activity could be like a sunburn - it doesn't seem like much at the time but is exponentially worse later.

When I had a true psoas issue months later, my PT had me shut everything down except "essential walking" for a month to let it calm down. You're probably not in that boat yet, but do take a step back and let things settle. Then, if you want to exercise, add only one thing back at a time so that you can see how your body reacts to it.

Tag me if you have questions or want to talk!
Leg lifts question. My at home PT started me on these a few days ago. I’m doing 20 reps with 5 second hold for each rep, I’m lifting to maybe 40 degrees or so. I think I can go more but I’m listening to my body and this forum and not pushing. Doing them twice a day as part of the lying on bed exercises. No pain at all while doing them, I keep a small pillow below my calf while doing the lifts. Safe?

Hi @Granny Di ,
Nice to hear from you. Enjoy hiking and biking in summer. I really wish that for you, because you deserve it. You have such a positive attitude and I've always enjoyed reading your posts. I'm in Lincoln, England now. It's so beautiful in spring - everything is in blossom, and I can see lots of songbirds like goldfinches and chaffinches and hear them singing. My husband bought a house in Lincoln and maybe we will eventually move there. I've done a lot of gardening in Lincoln, cut the grass and trimmed a bush.

I did 2 virtual marathons during the pandemic, even though the last one took me almost 6 hours. I find it easier to run when there are people around than alone. Hopefully, I'll be able to participate in the real Frankfurt Marathon this coming October - for free, because I've already paid for it :). It was cancelled, i.e. went virtual, twice in a row because of Covid.

The countryside in Canada must be beautiful in spring.

Hi @Granny Di ,
How are you getting on? How are your hips and legs? I went to Lincoln in Northern England several times with my husband this year. He bought a house there and is renovating it. I's a lovely quiet place with a big garden. After 3 years, I am also planning on running a real (not virtual) marathon in Frankfurt - on October 30th. It had to go virtual twice in a row because of the dreaded pandemic. It was beginning to get on our nerves a bit. While it is still going on in Germany - we still have cases from time to time - it's not bad and everything is open. But our health minister, Lauterbach, is still very strict and seems to want to create a bit of a scare. I hope the situation is fine with COVID in Canada, now.

Hello Constanze!
Did you run the October marathon?
I am amazed and impressed that you would even attempt such a feat.

Covid-It seems like everyone we know has had covid , including my husband and I, but nobody was very sick because they are all vaccinated.

We were late getting snow this winter so just when skiing started to be good it got very cold. So I have not been doing much skiing but I usually do a daily walk -3 to 5 kms.
It is warming up so skiing will be fun again.
The cross country ski club my husband and I started from nothing is celebrating the 50 years anniversary.
porcupineskirunners.com
So I will ski the loppet to join in the celebrations. It won't be fast though! It seems like starting all over again after being off skis for so long. And getting older! I will be 77 in May and I am so afraid of falling now its ridiculous.

Your gardens sound wonderful!

Hi Granny Di,
So nice to receive a message from you. Yes, indeed, I ran the marathon in Frankfurt in October and finished it. And it was really warm then - summary temperatures - almost 30°C. I didn't quite reach my target, timewise - I did it in 5 1/2 hours, not 5 hours. But then again, I didn't train as hard as usual.

I'm spending less time training now, because we are spending a fair amount of time, about 50% of our time, in Lincoln, England, where my husband bought a house. We are currently renovating it. It's a lot of work, but it's a fun house, and Lincoln is a lovely place in summer.

I'm amazed and respect it, that you are still skiing. Keep up the good exercise. There's nothing like exercise to keep you fit. I have heard about this super severe winter in the US - it was probably very very cold in Canada as well, then. :happyfeet:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back