TKR I'm Baack (Again...)

Thank you for you new surgery date. I've changed your signature and added you name to the August Hotshots Team thread.

Okay, so I was supposed to have surgery originally back in April with an orthopedic surgeon that I had been referred to by my regular orthopedic doctor. I went to see this orthopedic surgeon and was told I had to quit smoking that very day and the surgery was to occur in 3 weeks, around April 20th of this year. But I ended up postponed until August 1st for a few reasons, one being the fact that I could not wrap my head around giving up cigarettes that very day and that, coupled with the fact that I needed to save money for the months I would be recovering and not able to work. I ended up finding one of the top three orthopedic surgeons in Charleston and have a surgical consult with him last Thursday, May 27th. I was a bit uncomfortable because he told me even though he would be happy to do the surgery that my prior surgical consult with the other orthopedic surgeon that I had would work out just as well. He said that a couple of times and wanted to know why I was waiting to have surgery so I told him. He made it very clear to me again that the other orthopedic surgeon and I had already seen was just as good although he would be happy to do the surgery if I wanted him to. But he also stressed that I needed to stop smoking 5 weeks before the surgery, no pain medication of any kind before the surgery and less over the counter-stuff like ibuprofen and acetaminophen. But because I'm taking higher doses of the ibuprofen and acetaminophen it's starting to really mess with my digestive system. And of course I will have to pass a blood test on the smoking prior to surgery... I felt uncomfortable because I felt like I was being interviewed for a pass into Studio 54 or something like that. Have reconsidered going back to the old orthopedic surgeon but this is all the old boys network here in the south and these doctors all know each other and I did not want to be perceived as a "problem".
So I've decided I'll just keep it simple and stick with this particular orthopedic surgeon because he is supposed to be so very good. No general anesthesia oh, just a spinal and a local, surgery should take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half and more than likely I am to go home the same day. I don't like the thought of not having any pain medication at all because I've got eight weeks to go before the surgery and is important to me that I stay in good physical shape for the surgery. Any thoughts? Just throwing it out there...

Did you tell the OS that you were taking pain medications and how much? I think that if he knew how much pain you're in that he might be willing to let you take some OTC (over the counter) medications at least at a lower level. Contact the OS.

@newlybionic
Yes, my GP has given me the limits and parameters on taking acetaminophen and ibuprofen in combination, every day for the knee. Unfortunately it is wreaking havoc on my digestive system and causes heartburn and I'm not even taking up to the limit that he advised I could. So, kind of stuck here... there are times oh, maybe two or three times a week, when I would give my right arm for one Percocet. Not sure what the big deal is as 10 milligrams of Percocet per day is so minimal... Feeling angry at all these restrictions. But thanks for asking newly Bionic... doing what I have to do.

It's most likely that the Ibuprofen is causing your heartburn. Try making sure you have something to eat when you take it. I hope that by doing that you will be able to make it to your surgery date.

@newlybionic
Well the proverbial hit the fan so to speak as I ended up having a severe reaction to all the ibuprofen and acetaminophen... I actually felt every symptom that is associated with covid oh, but I didn't have covid. Call my GP to first ask if he I would speak with my orthopedic surgeon and see if it was okay to have one Percocet a day up until two weeks before the surgery and my orthopedic surgeon said absolutely not. Still my GP ended up calling me in something called Mobic. We'll see how that works.
How are things with you?

I'm doing well. I'm back to work after my revision in January. I'm glad I had it done. I hope the mobile can help you until your surgery.

HUGE QUESTION:
I started taking meloxicam about 30 days ago. What a wonder drug this is been for me! I've had literally no pain, no discomfort, no nothing for 30 days now... I've also been back to the gym on a regular basis and have walked as many as 18,000 steps a day and I'm now actually reconsidering having surgery August 2nd... Will wait to make a final determination but wanted to get some feedback from anyone who might know something about this. Thanks so much.

I took meloxicam for about a year before deciding to have my surgery. It did nothing for me.

that drug helped me but I had terrible headaches, slight dizziness from it, and it said on the package insert to take it for as short a duration as possible, so it factored into my decision to move ahead with surgery.

@FourCats
Thanks for the insight, ForCats:
I've done some research on this anti-inflammatory and I know that it's not something that works for everyone or that there are people that have side effects, Etc. I think it's just been so amazing for me and I really don't want to go through another surgery if I don't have to. I'll be conferring with my cheapies this week. How long ago was your knee replacement?

@Jo Wo
Wow, that's a bummer if I can only take it for a short duration. I've had absolutely no side effects whatsoever and in fact oh, the knee that has to be replaced doesn't even get sore after exercise oh, something that my other knee which has already been replaced does get... I'll confer with my GP this week. I've been bone-on-bone for three years anyway and was totally asymptomatic until about six months ago... Thank you so much for your feedback. When was your surgery?

@ACIM My surgery is scheduled for 6/23.

I am overly concerned about taking any meds long term. my doc had me on the max dose.

HUGE QUESTION:
I started taking meloxicam about 30 days ago. What a wonder drug this is been for me! I've had literally no pain, no discomfort, no nothing for 30 days now... I've also been back to the gym on a regular basis and have walked as many as 18,000 steps a day and I'm now actually reconsidering having surgery August 2nd... Will wait to make a final determination but wanted to get some feedback from anyone who might know something about this. Thanks so much.
I had to stop Meloxicam or any type of NSAID long before my TKR due to exacerbation of GI issues

@Jewlz1
@Jo Wo
I've had no side effects whatsoever from the meloxicam oh, maybe some slight heartburn now and again but not often. If I have the surgery it will be my fifth joint surgery and I'm just over it! I know you all understand and if my GP advises me to go ahead with the surgery I probably will. No promises, maybe I'm just looking for the easy way out but I'm so weary of the surgeries, pain, rehab...

@ACIM everything is a personal choice, personal risk assessment, and we can make different choices about treatments.

@ACIM Long term use of anti-inflammatories is no recommended. All sorts of issues including GI problems and, in some cases, heart issues. Get that knee done and say goodbye to the medication.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back