BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

I'm baacckk

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by bionicmedic, Jan 7, 2017.

1. bionicmedic

bionicmedic Member

United States United States
    Had total left hip November 7, 2013. Everything went amazingly. Returned to work as a critical care paramedic in 12 weeks. Tore my meniscus in my left knee in 2015 and had it repaired. It's never been the same.

I have compensated with my right leg for so long, now I'm going to have the right hip done. It is horrible!! I will post my X-rays when I get it loaded. The bone is basically pulverized and the pain is 10x worse than my left was when I had it done. I saw an OS who was ready to do the surgery. I am just going to see another OS February 2nd in Louisville. . Not as a second opinion but to see what his take on it is. Both doctors come highly recommended.

I saw Dr Kurtz in Nashville last time and he was amazing. I just can't do the 4 hour one way trip again this time. The Louisville doc has done 4,000+ The Lexington doctor has been practising since then 80's and did the hip and knee of a good friend and fellow medic. He said he was the best.

I'm caught in a cross road and I'm having commitment issues to just one doctor lol. With Kurtz I never sought another. I knew he was the one. Anyone else have this issue? I had bilateral SCFE at the ages of 10-11. Bone grafting then in which they do pinning in situ now. I had JRA at the age of 4 and stills disease. Just a hot mess right now. I'm still working 100 hours a week and feel like the bone is crumbling.

Glad to be back on the sight and looking for some insight on choosing the right Doctor.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Tags:
  2. Sunny girl

Sunny girl Senior

Australia Australia
    Shame you can't continue with your original OS @bionicmedic. With the two you're looking at, both OSs sound highly experienced. It's like choosing between gold and gold. Personal recommendation is always great, but just put the decision on hold until you see the Louisville doctor, then let the new info sink in for a day or so. Then you can make your choice. Which ever way you go, your pain will end with their capable hands. Which approach did you have last time and what are these two offering? With me, I had no choice re doctor as I was a public patient (Australian system) but landed lucky with an OA who performed the anterior approach. He was quite young but I saw it as a positive: trained up in the latest techniques (older surgeons may prefer to stick to what they know already works) fresh, strong, energetic and highly motivated.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @bionicmedic Welcome back to BoneSmart. So sorry you are suffering that horrid pre-op pain!

It a tough one - choosing a surgeon. For me it was finding someone who does high volume surgery. But the key is can you work with that surgeon. I didn't necessarily need the best "bed side manner". It was more can I ask my list of questions and have a discussion with the guy. I had a different surgeon for my second hip as well. And was delighted with the outcome.

Go with your gut feeling. Sounds like both surgeons are very experience. In the end it about who you can partner with through this journey.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. bionicmedic

bionicmedic Member

This is the beast that has to come out. Horrible pain!!!! auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170111_09de98209882f14b2cafc7bff753812c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

5. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

Oh! Ouch, ouch! It makes my hips hurt just to look at it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bionicmedic

bionicmedic Member

Oh Josephine, it is so much worse than my other one. At least from what I remember. Now that the left is fixed and that pain is gone I have put it out of my mind. Now the right is about to drive me out of my mind lol. It is horrendous.

I still work almost 100 a week on an ambulance too. I walk worse than some of my patients! I keep praying for a miracle that I would wake up and be healed. I just have to bite the bullet and realize that this is reality and I have to have surgery yet again.

I just want to exercise and lose weight and get back to me. I want to go back to work and finish my last 6-7 years for retirement. I know it can be done. I'm just dreading the surgery, the anesthesia sickness I get, and the worry of not going back to being a medic. Uugghhhh the struggle is real.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

That will happen when you get your new hip. I remember the surgeon who developed hip replacements (I worked with him back in the 1960s!) and he was a God fearing man who was convinced this was his calling to help people in pain. I see every successful joint replacement as a miracle.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bionicmedic

bionicmedic Member

Yes I remember the feeling well from my first hip replacement. It is amazing! Just wish we didn't have to go through so much to get that feeling!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Youch!

Youch! Junior Member

Bionicmedic,
    I certainly understand the fear of career loss, but don't get ahead of yourself. Stressful things are so much easier to handle if you break them into little bits. It may not happen! Maybe you cen set a little goal for yourself each day that is oriented to making you a mefic once again.

I hear the grief and loss of your healthy self in your words; aging does inevitably entail losses but also gains, and grieving those losses is completely natural. Just don't forget to welcome the gains! For me, for example, as someone who is struggling to heal from Core Decompression, I'm grateful for the quiet time away from work, traffic, and the washing to focus inward on healing. Who knows what it can be for you, but you will discover it.

You can celebrate that part of you that is in the rear view mirror now, and if you try to focus on the good stuff that Josephine points out-the good that comes from THR! That ought to give you a bit of a boost in spirits. Wonderful things can come of this for you, not least is ending your pain and frustration at work.
    Take good care and keep us posted.
    Youch!

10. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

I believe once you've met with both surgeons one will stand out as the better fit for you. They both sound like good choices, so you won't go wrong with either. Don't agonize too much over it. You'll feel better once the choice is made and surgery date is set. Being in that much pain and working those long hours will definitely impact your mental state. It's no wonder you feel a bit overwhelmed right now. Please don't hesitate to come here and post. We're here for you.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  11. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Are you not able to have a spinal and sedation? I get sick after GA as well but the recovery from spinal is SO much easier. You are awake and alert and eating a small meal shortly after your op!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bionicmedic

bionicmedic Member

Thank you. Yes it is troublesome but I have been through a THR in 2013 and went right back to the street. I'm praying that this one is just as amazing!! I'll keep ya posted

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2017
  13. bionicmedic

bionicmedic Member

Thank you!! Guess what everyone??!! I set a date with the doctor in Lexington ! March 9th!!! I'm scared as heck and excited as a kid at Christmas!!

14. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Good for you!!! I think this is you starting down that road to a wonderful new life with TWO good hips.

15. bionicmedic

bionicmedic Member

Thank you so much!!

16. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

My second THR was much easier than the first. Hoping you have the same experience. We are with you on this!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor

I had both THRs in 2016 - the latest in November. The feeling of relief after the first one made me anxious to get the other one sorted out. Many have commented on here that they would have clambered right back into the operating table and pleaded for the second surgery! I'm very well recovered and painfree and would say my second experience went even more smoothly than the first, partly because we know what to expect and are therefore able to anticipate and manage things all the better. Best of luck and hope you get this resolved really soon.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. bionicmedic

bionicmedic Member

Such a blessing to hear!! I'm so glad you are better!! I'm nervous but excited to feel better!!!

19. bionicmedic

bionicmedic Member

That is so good to hear!!

20. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor

It really is a blessing - try and replace those nerves with thoughts about all the wonderful doors this will re-open in your life. OK, a few weeks of inconvenience but a whole new world ahead after that!

• Agree Agree x 1