I'm baaaack!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopefulm

Country
United States United States
Hello to all my Bonesmart Buddies! I had my RTHR in November 2014, and couldn't be happier with the results. Unfortunately, my initial xrays showed "end stage" arthritic changes on the right and "severe" disease in the left.
After the right was replaced, and I could walk straight without limping, I was pain free and active for about a year.
But now, somehow, the left side is hurting - I can't sleep at night without heavy sedation, walking is painful, and I know what I need to do - I'm not waiting so long this time! The only difficulty is that we are in our winter home in AZ, and my surgeon is in Oregon, where we plan to return in May. I'm hoping that I can survive on Meloxicam, ice packs, and gentle exercise til spring. . .and that the surgeon will give me a slot on his schedule in June.
I hate to think that my summer will be spent recovering from surgery rather than kayaking and hiking. . . And I'm SCARED, again !!

@hopefulm Welcome back to BoneSmart. Sorry your other hip is bothering you but I am not surprised. As you will see in my signature I went through the same thing last year. Excellent idea not waiting long. I found this really paid off. My recovery from RTHR was so much easier as I had not limped around for years.

And yes, I was more scared before the second one. Not sure why - but I am sure not regretting the op! Please keep us updated!

Thanks, @Jaycey! I had a miserable night with burning pin despite lots of med - put a call in to my surgeon this AM in hopes of getting on the schedule early June - hopefully I can manage til then. I had a great outcome with the first one, with an uncomplicated surgery and quick recovery - somehow I'm still terrified. . .

somehow I'm still terrified. . .
I hear you - I was a basket case waiting for my second surgery. Fear of the known!

Do call and get on that schedule! June is coming quickly and you don't want to wait much longer than that. Trying to correct the damage caused by waiting so long can be a real challenge.

This is my future! 1st hip in a few days, and I know that I will need the 2nd sooner rather than later. So glad to hear that the first surgery gave you a period of relief....

I had a dream (or premonition?) that this happened to me. I'm scheduled for R THR next month, and shortly after I booked the surgery I woke up in the morning with the terrible thought that my left hip is going to go bad right after I get the right one replaced. I was freaking myself out, thinking my left hip was starting to hurt. I kept moving it all around, trying to see if I could feel anything, but I think the pain was all just from moving the right hip around in the process. I guess I just had a nightmare that I would have no relief from my pain, it would just move on to another part of my body. Not a happy thought.

Good luck with everything; I hope you get your surgery booked!

My second hip replacement was in October just before your first . . . I did not wait for my second to get as painful as first. I did not want to waste any more of my life (or so I had hoped at the time!). With me, I could not be as frightened as before first . . . well, in some ways more, but differently. First surgery fears were fears of the unknown. Now, its very much fear of the known! :snork:

Since you know your surgeon and your surgeon knows you, is there any possibility of scheduling as asap, and then returning to winter home to recuperate? I'm now an "all season" recovery person, and I definitely 100% agree that summer is the ABSOLUTE WORST time to recover. Not only in adventuring that you miss out on but the heat makes it much less enjoyable to snuggle in, hibernate, and let body and mind recover. :sleep::sleeep:

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. It's now mid - May, we're back in Oregon, and I've seen my surgeon. Scheduled for the second go round for the LTHR July 5. I'm not as anxious this time - knowing what to expect helps, and having a really good outcome with the first one gives me hope. I'm not exercising as diligently as I should be, and - sigh - i've gained back the 20 lbs I worked so hard to lose before the first surgery. It was a hard decision to go forward again, since going back on Meloxicam keeps the pain mostly controlled. However, I notice a limp, and decreased range of motion, so, i'm on the schedule.
It's tough, as my husband is being worked up for possible celiac disease, or something even more ominous (he's a Stage IV cancer survivor of 9 years), & he has cataract surgery 2 weeks after my hip. Spent the day today trying to boost his spirits. He is a terrific care giver when I needed it, so it's tough to worry about whether we can juggle it all.
As they say, Aging isn't for sissies!
So, thanks again, it is so good to have this support!

@hopefulm - you have got a lot to juggle and I pray this final Op will give you back your mobility, and then your weight will be more controlled once you're moving around more easily. These cataract operations are a marvel and I'm so happy your husband will benefit, and that a celiac diet will also help his health. I know others who have modified theirs have noticed big improvements. Best wishes

It was a hard decision to go forward again, since going back on Meloxicam keeps the pain mostly controlled.
Hard decision yes, but who wants to stay on pain killers forever! You've got this @hopefulm !

@hopefulm hi there, I know how you feel as just had my second hip done, thankfully the folk on here got me through it again. I was even more scared this time round, as had it pretty rough on my first hip. This was a very different, more positive, less painful experience probably because as @Jaycey has said that our hips weren't so bad the second time around as we wanted to get back to our lives.

We're all here for you

Tan x

My husband is also my caregiver. 6 weeks ago he cut his hand on a table saw and it has been slow to recover. We joke that between us we have a whole person. I am having surgery May 25th, while he is still healing. We have managed to make it work. I'm confident that you can be strong for one another. Wishing you much luck.

Back again, now that the reality of my upcoming surgery is setting in. . .and the pain has gotten much worse lately. Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement. I am feeling much better prepared this time. It does help knowing what to expect. Spent the last two days filling the freezer with meals to help hubby the first couple of weeks. Still anxious about his colonoscopy & endoscopy scheduled the week before my surgery. His symptoms are improving, so, hopefully the results will be good. Onward we go. . .

Hi @hopefulm. Congratulations on getting your date set for the second hip. I have off and on pain in my remaining "original" hip and I have promised myself that as soon as it starts with the steady dull ache and giving out on me,,,, well, it's going bye bye!! about once a week it will catch in a funny way but after that there's nothing.. it's like having a sickle blade hanging over my head! I'm sorry to hear about your husbands health and will send up some prayers for you both.. p.s. I am 9 months post op and couldn't be happier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that it is possible my right hip will need to be replaced because it is already showing signs of arthritis. This time I am going to be more proactive about early treatment instead of just dealing with the pain until it becomes unbearable.

And I hope your husband receives good news on his tests and that you both heal together.

Awake again since 0230, icing and thinking about surgery in 2 more days. It really has been easier to prepare this time, knowing what to expect. I have meals in the freezer, house cleaned (vacuuming today is likely why I'm so miserable tonight!) and everything else organized. Still, I don't look forward to the 90 minute ride home from the hospital, and the first couple of weeks post-op. Trying to remind myself how great the right hip feels!

What a relic that hubby is okay!!!! I'm so happy you won't have a dark cloud hanging over you during this difficult time. After my second THR, the euphoria I felt knowing I was done was awesome! Best of luck tomorrow! :loveshwr:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker