I'm allergic to the cement used in knee replacements!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KathyW

My doctor told me several years ago I would eventually need a knee replacement. However, I am highly allergic to methyl methacrylate, which I believe is use in most, if not ALL of the cements used in knee replacements. I don't know what to do. Has anyone had the same problem?? And what did you do - or can you do about it? I am new to the forum and am seeking some answers!!

I don't have any answers just want to say Welcome!

Josephine,

Thank you for the information. I talked to Zimmer Company today and they told me they thought all bone cement had menthl methacrylates in them, so when I have the knee replacement, I will definitely have to have the "cementless" kind - or an amputation!!!

It has been a frustrating day - Thanks, again for the help!!

Bone cement is methyl methacrylate. Same stuff the dentist uses to make false teeth which is where McKee got the idea from. Actually, theatre staff have been warned for years that using it can cause health and safety issues - contact dermatitis and asthma being the two principle ones. So upon reflection, suppose it's not that surprising there would be people who have sensitivity to it being implanted.

Actually, if all else fails, there is another option. One which was used a lot in 'my young day' but very rarely now and that is an arthrodesis or fused joint. It's not the easiest of options to live with - you'd effectively have no knee - but better than amputation! Just a thought. I'm sure it won't come to that.

I have an allergy to nickel. When I first saw my OS, I told him about my allergy. He sent me to a dermatologist, who did patch testing on patients who were considering TKR's. There were about 25 testing cups tapped to my back... lots of different cements and lots of different metals. It was left there for 36 hours. I have no idea if all the cements contained methyl methacrylate. You might want to ask your OS if it's worth testing you. On the basis of my results, the OS used a Smith & Nephew Oxinium component. Apparently, it contains only trace nickel. By the way, at a little over 3 months, my knee is doing great!
Sandy

Like I said ... bone cement is methyl methacrylate.

Sandy,

Thanks for the reminder!! I had the skin-patch allergy tests done about 4 years ago, and that's when I found out that I was allergic to any acrylate/methy methacrylate. I also showed some sensitivity to nickel so I will be sure and discuss that with the doctor. I'll admit the reaction I had to nickel crossed my mind when I first started seriously thinking about a TKR, but the acrylate allergy has consumed most of my research/thoughts/worry. I know the reaction to the nickle was not as severe as the reaction to the acrylates, but I picked out all of my favorite earrings (costume) and had the posts and backs replaced with gold. I was tested for, but did not react negatively to gold (yea!!). All of my more expensive earrings already had gold posts, and I have noticed I don't have anymore problems wearing the earrings on which I had the posts replaced. My dermatologist was pretty thorough in the skin-patch testing. (I have had the allergy skin testing for environmentals before - but no one ever tested for acrylates, gold, nickel, latex, - geeze, I dont' know how many things he tested me for!!)

Anyway, I was glad you mentioned the nickel allergy. I will be sure and look into that further.

Thanks, Sandy!!

Hi Kathy... glad I could help. I was concerned about having a TKR, but having a replacement I might be allergic to, was over-the-top scary! I heaved a sigh of relief when my OS had me patched tested and another big sigh when he discussed using the Smith & Nephew because it had only trace nickel. You really do have to cross all the T's and dot all the I's before doing a TKR!

I also have all my silver pierced earring posts and backs changed to gold. I tolerate bracelets and rings just fine.

Good luck... Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back