THR If Your Surgery Is Postponed.....

BoneSmart

Administrative Staff
Country
United States United States
As a result of the coronavirus, many hospitals around the globe are canceling or postponing "elective" surgeries such as joint replacements. While it's understood this needs to be done to free up resources in case they are needed for the virus, it leaves some of us in limbo and suffering terrific pain.

Unfortunately, there is no really good treatment for arthritis pain once you are bone-on-bone. It's going to hurt. But here are some things you can try to maybe lessen that discomfort a little.

- Stay off your feet as much as possible.
- Use an assistive device such as a cane, crutches, walker, wheel chair to take your weight off your joint.
- Ice as much as you can (use a towel between you and the ice source to prevent skin damage).
- Elevate your leg so that toes are above your nose when you are off your feet.
- Use a TENs machine.
- Practice gentle movements and gentle stretching exercises throughout the day.
- Ask your surgeon about injections, such as hyaluronic acid or steroids.
- Ask your surgeon about medications to help with pain.
- Try Tylenol on a schedule of 1000mg every 6 hours.

If you have other things you've tried that work for you, please post them here.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, heat worked. I put a heating pad around my hip joint and down the thigh and past my knee since before surgery the whole leg would just hurt all the way to the ankle. I would do this in the evening and it seemed to relax the tired muscles some from the day.

Additionally I used a sock aid to help put socks on since with my pain I could not bend over and also used reachers to pick things up but also to help get dressed and undressed so I would not have to bend. The sock aid was a godsend. Long shoehorns might also be handy at this stage and not only post surgery.

I too found comfort through the use of a large heating pad over the last few weeks before my surgery. Most often at night in bed before falling asleep. While it didn‘t take away the pain, it was relaxing enough that I could comfortably fall asleep.

I was in the ice corner.. When driving- I iced.. When sitting- ice Sleep- ice. :ice:

there were days when I would question if the THR was really needed because the ice reduced so much of thee swelling and inflammation. But then I would increase activity and knew I did. But the relief that I could occasionally get was so helpful.

At times, I would place a heating pad down at my feet while I iced and the combination felt sooo good.

I also talked to my OS and said if I was going to need to wait 3 months for my turn on his surgery table then I needed help! His office was very kind in giving me a prescription to use on the really bad days.

Temporary handicapped placard.. this was key! Your OS office can send you a prescription for it and it will save you many steps. I think the BMV offices are closed but I imagine you could mail it in directly?

In my town the village clerk distributes the handicap placards.The doctor completes a simple form. Unfortunately the town hall is closed during this time. Perhaps there is a way to go online and get one, if your town hall is closed?

I was going to physio, but since covid19 they closed. Still doing stretches and thing that I was doing at physio. Heat seems to be my thing takes about 30 minutes to ease the pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Temporary handicapped placard.. this was key! Your OS office can send you a prescription for it and it will save you many steps.
Sadly this only applies to members located in the US. In the UK a member can not get a blue badge if they are waiting for joint replacement as it is considered a temporary disability.

I found in bed at night, a soft pillow between the knees, invaluable for helping to keep the hip in a better position and helping to find a more tolerable position for sleeping.

Agree with the handicap placard. If your vehicle department is close, print one on your colored printer and attach your Doctors form next to it on your dash. There’s not a law enforcement officer in the world that would ticket you if it’s clear to them.

A long soak in a hot bath was my go to and I was lucky enough to be able to use a hot jacuzzi. Could do gentle exercise in there much easier . :bath:

Handicapped placard: my OS office took care of everything and I received both permit wallet card and temporary (6 month) placard in mail within a week of request. Gentle stretching everyday helped me as well as heat or ice, depending on the day. My OS prescribed Tramadol and my PCP had additional suggestions. Don’t forget your PCP is there to help in all this, too. My heart goes out to all of you who are suffering and have had your surgeries postponed. Prayers for comfort, patience, and staying healthy until it can happen for real. ❤️

My doc thought that 1000mg tylenol every 6 hours was a lot, and that I should alternate between the NSAIDs and the Tylenol. IIRC from that discussion, Tylenol is cleared by the liver and the NSAIDs by the kidneys, so some of each spreads out the burden. Of course I am not a doctor and everyone should check with theirs. I think that folks with high blood pressure or kidney disease should not take NSAIDs.

I hate taking all of these things. Tylenol makes me sleepy so I take that at night.

Ice stopped working as well as heat a few months ago, so now I am also on Team Heating Pad and Team Crutches.

Surgery now postponed to 18 May ... y'all stay safe and well out there.

-neli

@cstinchcomb - I'm sorry your surgery had to be postponed. Thank you for the new date.

My doc thought that 1000mg tylenol every 6 hours was a lot, and that I should alternate between the NSAIDs and the Tylenol. IIRC from that discussion, Tylenol is cleared by the liver and the NSAIDs by the kidneys
1,000 mg of Tylenol 6-hourly is a safe amount - a total of 4,000 mg in 24 hours. That is the recommended safe daily amount in countries other than the US and it requires people to take into account any Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol in any other medications they may be taking.
The US FDA recommends a safe daily total of only 3,000 mg, because it is being cautious and is afraid the people will not realise that there is Tylenol/Acetaminophne/Paracetamol in other drugs they may be taking, such as cold medications.
If you check all your other medications and there is no Tylenol (or one of its other names) in any of your meds, it is safe to take up to 4,000 mg in 24 hours.

I'm afraid you have the wrong impression about how drugs are cleared.
They are all broken down by the liver and the broken-down components are then put into the blood stream. The broken-down products are then extracted from the blood stream by the kidneys and excreted in urine produced by the kidneys.

It is true, though, that too much Tylenol can have a bad effect on the liver, while the break-down products of NSAIDs can sometimes, although rarely, have an adverse effect on the kidneys.

NSAIDs are anti-inflammatories and they aren't as effective as Tylenol as pain relievers. They do have some dangers. They increase the tendency to bleed and should not be taken in conjunction with any other anticoagulants (blood thinners). In addition, they can cause severe bleeding from your stomach or intestines and you should stop taking them if you have any gastric symptoms. Never take them on an empty stomach.

You should read these articles about the side effects of NSAIDs
Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

My surgery was scheduled for June 17, 2020 but has, of course, been postponed. Prior to lockdown, I was getting cortizone shots every 3 months. They worked wonders, but cortizone has to be out of your system for 3 months before scheduled surgery. My last shot was in Jan and has since worn off. To relieve pain, I take tramadol and alleve, but they no longer do the trick and I would prefer not to have anything stronger. I have found a CBD cream that does help with my hip and back pains. With heat, ice and CBD, I hope to make it to surgery...whenever that may be!

My surgery has been postponed 2 x. I'm in NY and my surgeon has offices in NY and Connecticut. He is suggesting I go to Connecticut as they may open sooner.
I've been getting horrible pains in my legs and MRI just revealed I have severe stenosis in my spine which has been exasperated by my wonky walking. Nerve pain is horrible!
I recently tried heat instead of ice and the heat seems to work for me. I also am taking a CBD oil which seems to give me extra relief with the naproxen. Also Biofreeze gel helps ---

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom