IF YOUR SURGERY IS POSTPONED....

BoneSmart

Administrative Staff
Country
United States United States
As a result of the coronavirus, many hospitals around the globe are canceling or postponing "elective" surgeries such as joint replacements. While it's understood this needs to be done to free up resources in case they are needed for the virus, it leaves some of us in limbo and suffering terrific pain.

Unfortunately, there is no really good treatment for arthritis pain once you are bone-on-bone. It's going to hurt. But here are some things you can try to maybe lessen that discomfort a little.

- Stay off your feet as much as possible.
- Use an assistive device such as a cane, crutches, walker, wheel chair to take your weight off your joint.
- Ice as much as you can (use a towel between you and the ice source to prevent skin damage).
- Elevate your leg so that toes are above your nose when you are off your feet.
- Use a TENs machine.
- Practice gentle movements and gentle stretching exercises throughout the day.
- Ask your surgeon about injections, such as hyaluronic acid or steroids.
- Ask your surgeon about medications to help with pain.
- Try Tylenol on a schedule of 1000mg every 6 hours.
- Use a wrap or brace on an arthritic knee.

If you have other things you've tried that work for you, please post them here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before surgery, I always felt better with heat rather than ice on my joint. YMMV

There is an OTC product called Curamin by Terry Naturally that I bought through Amazon, though my neighbor got his at GNC in the US. It contains turmeric, a known food based antiinflammatory, and it contains DLPA which is an amino acid that in some people causes a reduced perception of pain. It won't work for everyone, but it worked very well for me.

I also got good relief from Cat'sClaw, which is an herb and has the advantage of being very inexpensive OTC.

Before surgery, I always felt better with heat rather than ice on my joint. YMMV

There is an OTC product called Curamin by Terry Naturally that I bought through Amazon, though my neighbor got his at GNC in the US. It contains turmeric, a known food based antiinflammatory, and it contains DLPA which is an amino acid that in some people causes a reduced perception of pain. It won't work for everyone, but it worked very well for me.

I also got good relief from Cat'sClaw, which is an herb and has the advantage of being very inexpensive OTC.

I also have used the Terry Naturally Extra Strength Curamin. At first when my Dr. Said to try it I thought he was a quack... but I started taking it every day, honestly I think it bought me a lot of time before my TKR. When my ortho Dr.. looked at my knee, i was bone on bone. he's said you must be in extreme pain...my reply, not really...
It does work.
Harry

My April surgery was canceled. Was supposed to be yesterday. No idea when it will be rescheduled & I'll have to do the preop over again.
Yesterday was going to be my right knee which is the worst joint, but is a toss up as far as pain. Need left knee & both hips too. Per xray right hip by far worst but left hurts more. Go figure. I'll start w right knee then figure out from there.
I alternate ice/heat. Neither results in great improvement but they feel good. Tried meloxicam, Celebrex generic & Celebrex name brand. None help. Tylenol is little help. I mostly use Advil. Takes the edge off a little but not much. I have some Tramadol but use it VERY sparingly for unbearable days. I keep getting told about the opioid epidemic and that they don't want me to build up a resistance.
Makes me kind of angry. They gave me a prescription for 30 pills which which if taken per prescription instructions would have lasted me 1 week. They lasted me 2.5 months because I use them so sparingly. Lol!
I am the furthest thing from an addict I am just in great pain and can only get around on crutches...and not even very well at that.
Weird thing about it is while sitting I have zero pain. But the minute I stand up forget it!!
I just picked up a prescription for Volterin gel that my insurance company recommended. I'm just reading the possible side affects & I can't believe how concerning they are for a topical!
Nothing about this arthritis is easy!!! Truly wearing me down.

I am a 67 year old OR nurse and had my left total knee replacement on March 6, just before all the cancellations due to the COVID virus. I have done exceedingly well 5 weeks post op (125 degrees flexion today in PT). I am pushing myself so I can return to work. I am so sorry to hear about all the people who have had their procedures postponed!

Hi Cissa,
Happy to hear you are doing so well! Hopefully by the time you return to work the coronavirus will be dwindling out!
My original surgery date was 3/4. Had to cancel due to a dental issue. Rescheduled for 4/8 but coronavirus canceled elective surgery

I used Aleve (naproxen) pre-op for pain because it lasted longer than Advil for me, but nothing really helped but replacement. The “Polar Care” machine my ortho md recommends on his surgery patients works WONDERS after surgery! It’s a refillable ice water circulating machine with a Velcro attached pad that wraps around your knee. If you can strengthen your leg muscles before surgery, you will be ahead of the game after surgery!

Sorry to hear your surgery was postponed, @Abbylayla . Thank you for letting us know. I've removed you name from the April Rainbows surgery list.
Please let us know when you do get a new date - I hope it won't be too long.
My shoulder replacement has been postponed, too.

I am pushing myself so I can return to work.
Please don't push yourself and your knee, @Cissa . Recovery from a knee replacement isn't like recovery from many operations - complete recovery takes much longer, as long as a full year for many.
We usually recommend taking about 12 weeks off work and then doing a Phased return to work .
You'll be on your feet for most of your shift and that is asking a great deal of a new knee.

Going back too early will result in increased pain and swelling and it could even slow down your knee's recovery.

Please will you start a thread in the Knee Surgery Recovery Area, so we can talk about your progress.
Thank you. :flwrysmile:

I do the exercises the PT taught me. I suppose that should strengthen my legs but they are pretty simple exercises & doesn't really seem like they do.
But honestly between both knees & both hips (both shoulders too if you can believe it) I am so immobile I just really feel like I'm never going to truly feel well again until I replace these bad joints.

They give good advice here. Celle just mentioned being careful about pushing yourself. That came to my mind also when you mentioned going back to work. I'm sure you spend a great deal of time on your feet. When will your Dr feel comfortable w you going back?

My fourth knee surgery and third revision on my right knee was supposed to be May 6th. It is now July 15. A little bummed, but I broke my ankle a few weeks ago and am in a boot. Hoping it heals. If not, surgery will be required. So, I'm focusing on that at the moment. The broken ankle shows I'm very unstable on my knee. It will be a long three months!

Thank you for letting us know, Diane. I'll change you to the July surgery list, instead of the May Marvels.
It's a shame, but I think the Covid situation would probably have caused a May cancellation anyway.

I hope your ankle is healing well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties