If the steroid injection doesn't help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazmat76

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello, I had an injection in my hip last week (2 year history of hip pain, MRI showed a cyst and also sacroilitis), I can't really tell if it's helped yet, I didn't have the immediate relief from the anaesthetic injected and have read that if you don't the problem isn't the hip??
What are others experiences of the injection and what happened if it didn't really make any difference to you?

cazmat76,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us.
If you do not respond to the injections. You will need a more thorough work up to figure out what is going on, and find an appropriate treatment for you.
I will tag @Josephine our forum nurse, she will be able to address your questions.

Injections are a bit of hit and miss sometimes. For some there is relief but for others they just don't work. As Pumpkin says, your surgeon will need to investigate further to confirm your diagnosis. Have you already had an x-ray?

I had one - it worked but only for a few months. It was really diagnostic to prove that the hip was the source of the problem (because my GP was convinced it was my back causing me pain). It definately showed that my hip was at the root, and as a result I had the first of my THRs last April. I am inclined to agree with Jaycey as was warned that the injections can be hit and miss - in case they don't hit the right spot. However it was the x-ray which clearly showed that not one but both hips were a mess. Having had one replaced already I know that I am halfway there. I hope you get a firm diagnosis soon and are able to move on with a plan.

I didn't have the immediate relief from the anaesthetic injected and have read that if you don't the problem isn't the hip??
Essentially that is so. If you have sacroilitis then that is unlikely to be affected by an injection in the hip joint.
MRI showed a cyst
However, you said 'it showed a cyst' but no mention of where the cyst is.

Hi, cyst in the hip. I realise the sacroilitis won't be helped by the injection :) just one of the things picked up on the x-ray and MRI I had.
I'm almost 2 weeks post injection and it's definitely less painful...which is a good thing I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie