Lounge Doctor

TKR If I could go three years

Hiker79

Country
United States United States
Had the LF knee done three years ago. Functionally at almost 82 now, returned to mountain hiking within 9 months of surgery, do about everything now that I could before, up a ladder and on the roof last week, trained for 1500 Senior Games Power Walk competition….etc. I have been blessed, but work at staying in shape.

So, why do I wish I could back three years to pre-op? At that time pre-surgery discussions with orthopedic doc, he said that the right knee was almost as bad as the left and will need to be done very soon, a year or two. After the surgery to the LK and nine months of rehab, I found functionally the new one was fine, but had minor pain, a 1 or 2, a nuisance that the brain would overcome when involved in any activity, but it was there and is still there today. But, the RT knee is functionally fine with no pain. I attribute the longevity and pain free with the RT knee ”almost as bad” to the rehab. So, if I could go back to future, I would have had a 3-6 month PT program before the LK knee surgery to see if the surgery could have been delayed like the RT knee?

Something for all of you contemplating surgery to consider? Good luck to you all.

Pumpkin

Country
United States United States
Thanks for suggesting PT for strengthening and conditioning prior to TKR.
Your post has been copied to the Knee Pre Op forum so pre op members can benefit from your recommendation to try PT before your joint replacement.
Thanks,
Chris

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dunfudgin
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom