THR Icespirit5 Recovery Thread

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you've been over the past couple weeks?
Leave us an update next time you're on the forum. We'd love to hear.
Wishing you the best!
@Icespirit5

Thanks @Layla I have started back at work and have been quite busy. 1 week of school can sure wear one out.
Update:
I am doing alright. I still have a slight limp, am going to physical therapy, and struggle a lot with abduction. I haven't been able to go to the park yet and walk like I use to, but I have been able to go around in my neighborhood (it is flatter). It hurts a little but is manageable. I'm not really where I'd like to be or thought I'd be, and my PT said it was just going to take time. My insurance only approved 2 more visits for PT which freaks me out because I'm really not where I want to be yet. Im not seeing the rapid improvement I could see at the beginning which is a little frustrating. I have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks at my OS office. I'm hoping things go better. Below are pics of before and after

Attachments

• 20190729_161825.jpg
    20190729_161825.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 20190729_162304.jpg
    20190729_162304.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
I'm not seeing the rapid improvement I could see at the beginning which is a little frustrating.
Reminder - there are no "shoulds" with this recovery. For many recovery is just slow and steady. Yes, it requires tons of patience. You'll get there!

ai40.tinypic.com_9zlobd.jpg
Wanted to share a lovely post someone shared with me during the frustrating stall period
How many of you have been in a shopping mall or an amusement park and have seen a map that says, “You are here.” It tells you where you are so you can locate what you have to do in order to get to where you want to be.

Well, here is more realistic chart of the “You are here” for a THR.

Too often you think, “Hey, I have been in recovery 5 or 6 weeks, and I should be here. After all, I have been at this PT/recovery thing for what I think to be long enough---why am I still sore, still stiff, still not where I want to be with my strength and flexibility? How come I don't have the stamina to do the things I want or need to do?”

You keep asking yourself the question, “Why am I not where I am supposed to be?” You are, in fact, actually just where you are supposed to be. The aspect to consider, though, is why you are where you are.

You need to consider what has been done to your hip. Your hip was sliced open; BONES WERE SAWED AND MAYBE HAD SCREWS DRILLED INTO THEM!!!; your OS and his assistants pounded and man-handled you while you were under anesthesia (they most likely were not very gentle!); things may have been glued to you, and finally---you were closed up! You have to consider what has happened to your hip---it has been surgically assaulted and it is angry. It will take quite some time for its anger to simmer down somewhat. It is the real “You Are Here!” Marker---not the one where you think you should be.

The key issue here is to understand that the hip is in charge of the recovery; it sets the time-table for recovery. Most of the time, it is slower than we would like it to be. But when you consider what has been done to your hip, you can understand why your hip is angry and why it will take longer than you think it should to fully recover. We tend to rush our recovery timetable and think that our hip can move forward faster than it actually can.

We have to be much more realistic in the “You are here” vs. the “You should be here”----you have to realize how long it may take to get to “Fully Recovered.” Once you come to terms with the idea that your hip sets the timeline for recovery as well as the actual slow speed of many THR’s, the markers make much more sense and are much more understandable.

Just keep it in mind---the “You are here” is from the hip's perspective, not from yours. The hip is in charge. You will reach the “Fully Recovered” aspect in your life, but your hip will set the schedule; your hip will set the speed, and your hip will let you know when you arrive.

Thanks for the update. Things are looking up! You're only days over two months post op and given you endured a more involved surgery than most, you're doing really well. I hope you're able to relax, change your expectations and just roll with it all. It will come. There is still so much healing to happen and you will eventually get there.
Thanks for sharing the photos and please don't be a stranger here. We'd love to follow your recovery.
Happy Tuesday to you!
@Icespirit5

Thanks @Jaycey , @Mojo333 , and @Layla
Yeah I guess I just need to be more patient. @Mojo333 I really liked that post.
@Layla changing my expectations is probably where I need to start.
I have been trying to keep busy and that helps me not sit on my butt all evening after work and keeps my mind busy. I'm a teacher and do theatre as well. I am glad I have been able to participate in this past show. Last weekend was opening weekend of our most recent show, Calendar Girls. It went really well. We have had so many issues throughout it, its a miracle it made it to the stage.we had an audience that topped 200 Sunday! We have 3 more shows this upcoming weekend, so I'm really looking forward to it. My theatre family has been real supportive and was able to help me feel useful when I couldn't do much after I first had my surgery. They've put me on more technical sides of things and smaller prop detail.
I'll still be real happy when my hip decides it's better though :heehee: some of the nerves in mear the low end of my incision decided to come back to life with a vengence about a week ago and were quite uncomfortable for a few days. So i guess something must be happening

Those unnerving zips and zaps as we progress. Can catch you off guard for sure.
Glad you are staying involved with the things you love.
Can be a tradeoff sometimes...it definitely can be a rollercoaster ride
DferrhMUcAAj4JK.jpg

Hello :wave:Thanks for the update.
Sounds like you're slowly getting back to life. That's the object here so good to see it.
Have fun at the theatre this weekend...take it slow and easy. You're doing great!
@Icespirit5

Question / concern
So Im steadily trying to walk more for longer durations. An issue Im having when walking (aside from a bit of a limp) is some upper back pain. The spot is probably about the size of a gold ball, is in my mid upper back (not quite to my shoulder blades), and slightly left of my spine. It is a small spot and kind of burns but feels numb at the same time.
I dont know if it was just maybe a pinched nerve because of the way Im currently walking or what.

Will things sort out as I heal and straighten out, or should I be concerned?

Hi @Icespirit5
Personally, I lean toward it being your body adjusting to your new hip and changing gait.
My OS's PA explained to me that our gait changes as our hip deteriorates, then once again slowly changes after THR, adjusting to our new hip. I think it's one of those minor annoyances you may have to deal with for a time. Please don't ever hesitate to call your surgeon's office with concerns. Usually through conversation and a few questions they're able to offer the reassurance you're seeking.
Have a nice evening and a great Wednesday!

Well I had another follow up today. I think it went well. I didnt have to wait forever which was nice, so I didnt get quite as tongue tied and was able to express/ask what I needed to :cheers: that for me is a big sucess. My bone is growing into the part really well. I still have a gap where they cut the piece out in my femur that he was hoping would start to fill in. He said it still aint time to worry yet, and it may be just because my bones were previously so dense in that area that they are being slow. Thus, he wants to see me back again in 2 months, which puts me at Nov. 6th for my next follow up.

So just curious, but the 1st thing I'm always asked is how are you, and my knee jerk reaction is "good". He asked me to definw good. For some reason that question stumps me. He then asked about my activities and how I was doing with those, and I explained how I was able to go about work and home life like usual, but the only thing I couldnt do yet was go walking at the park. Im still only able to go about 7-8 min eithout my leg starting hurt then my back. It was a good conversation, but how do yall define good after a THR?

Hi @Icespirit5
It sounds like you had a nice post op visit with your surgeon.
I guess if you've never experienced a surgery, or THR before, it's difficult to define "good". Personally, I'd feel I was doing well if I was noticing steady progress in all areas, mobility, flexibility, energy, lessening pain etc.

What did your surgeon say when you told him you can only walk 7-8 minutes before your leg or back begins hurting, if you don't mind me asking?

I hope you have a great rest of the week!

@Layla he didnt say much. He did seem a little concerned. He asked me where it hurt, and I did my best to explain it. I dont know if it is still because of muscle weakness or the fact that there is still a gap.

Hello :wave:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hope you've had a good week...enjoy the weekend!
@Icespirit5

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Let us know how you're doing if you have time.
Assuming you're doing well and have jumped back into life.
If so, that's the goal. Wishing you all the best!
@Icespirit5

Well, it has been almost a full year since my THR. I still cant believe it. So for the full update, number 1 on the list is that I can now ride a bike!! That was one of my big goals and I am so thrilled! My range of motion is so much better as well (I can sit normally without strain in cars and chairs!). I still have a limp and am just now getting back to walking for extended periods of time without issue (30-45 min). The only time I do have any issues is actually with my knee on my THR side. It feels a bit unstable, like when I am moving forward it sometimes goes to the side or backward and it sure can ache at times (esp when it is about to rain or is raining). This is especially apparent if I am moving a bit faster. Anyone else experience any issues like this? I dont know if it is connected or not and I'll probably ask my doc when I go back. Not really sure when that will be . My follow up was the week their building shut down back in March. I plan to call this week to check in on what I am supposed to do about rescheduling it. I dont know if they would call to reschedule (had other offices does that) or if I need to do it. Overall, I'm still pretty happy with the outcome.

Last edited:
Hello @Icespirit5
Thanks for the update. You’re doing great and it’s wonderful to hear. I’m wondering if you’ve had your knee x-rayed? The knee on my op side bothered me after surgery and I finally had it x-rayed at about six months out and did learn I had some arthritis. Nothing severe, but a change. Definitely ask about it when you go for your next appointment and also mention the limp.

If I’m understanding correctly the limp only kicks in after 35-40 minutes of walking? I found myself limping, without realizing when I was fatigued, it was normally pointed out to me by someone else. Wondering if that’s the case with you? Your surgeon may suggest you schedule a few sessions with PT to engage in some gait training. Then again...maybe not. Try to remember heel-toe walking when you catch yourself falling into that pattern. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Stay in touch and let us know how your appointment goes. Until then....all the best to you!

@Layla thanks! Actually, I just still have a limp in general. It is more apparent as the day goes on and becomes more fatigued. I at least can say I think it is better than it was 3 months ago.

Well good, that the limp is still improving. As you’ve read ample times here, recovery can take a full year, but there are many who continue to enjoy progress throughout their second year and some even beyond. So you’re on the right track. :)
A great week to you!
@Icespirit5

Well, I finally rescheduled my follow up. It will be a in July, so hopefully everything is doing what it is suppose to healing wise and Ill be able to ask about my knee. Ive started wearing a kind of compression brace after I walk and that has helped a lot. It will be just over a year that Ive had replacement then. The receptionist I talked to was really nice. Poor woman, Im sure theyve had a crazy time of it. Id hate to be the one talking to disgruntled patience in pain.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom