THR Icespirit5 Recovery Thread

Thanks @Evi and @Calgal !
Update on the itching: Well, my PT ended up going ahead and taking off the original bandage a day early. She says what I've got is some contact dermatitis from the extra sticky stuff they put on the tape part of the bandage. She says it will probably blister, but it should be okay and was glad I told her today instead of waiting until Friday. She said she'd check it Friday again.
Well, all I know is it feels sooooo much better now that I don't have the bandage on any more!! :loveshwr:

@Icespirit5 - oh wow - I’m glad that they figured that out for you - what a relief - must’ve been quite annoying-

Hope pt went well too -

My grandma was wrong?!:doh:
Glad they got that off of there.
Hope it clears up soon!

Thanks @Evi !
@Mojo333 :rotfl: I really didn't describe it well enough to say she was wrong. It was hard for me to really see and I could not quite tell what was skin vs bandage. Well, there was also a loooong redish brown stripe next to the incision part of my bandage. She took it off today and whooo boy, that red stripe was my skin. Thankfully its just a surface reaction to part of the bandage. The rectangle around my incision and the incision itself looks beautiful (well as good as they can look).
Ill be glad to get a shower this evening to get the rest of the sticky residue off.

I had a really bad reaction from the adhesive also.
Bright red skin, that wasn't too happy about that sticky stuff adhered to it.
Cleared up pretty quickly once it could breathe again. Hope yours does too!
@Icespirit5

@Layla did you have any left adhesive stuck to you? If so, what did you use to get it off. It has been so red and angry and hot this evening. Im a bit desperate

@Icespirit5 I’m also very sensitive to bandage adhesive and get huge welts. The best thing I’ve found to get off stubborn adhesive is olive oil on a cotton ball. Probably any oil would work. It takes a while but it eventually gets it off.

I always mention allergy to adhesive when I’m getting any bandage. They even make bandaids for sensitive skin now that isn’t so bad.

I believe I had some leftover residue but it was minimal. You don't want to get any product near your incision, but if it's far enough away you may be able to use an oil as (ceezee) mentioned above. Baby oil, Almond Oil, possibly even a little Coconut Oil on a soft wash cloth. Just keep it far away from the incision. You may want to check with the office of your OS and see if they have a better solution.
Wishing you luck and relief.
@Icespirit5

Well, I used a soft rag and some dial soap last night in the shower it worked pretty well. I unfortunately had an ugly reminder that I'm still not quite myself and can only stand for a limited amount of time. All in all Im glad I got out when I did otherwise I would have ended up on the shower floor :thud:. Once I got out and sat for a bit I was better though . I still have some sticky on me though and plan to try again to get some more off this afternoon (that tends to be my best part of the day).

Everything feels exhausting at first. I recall first few showers I barely got all the conditioner out of my hair.
You have to laugh at how pathetic we are temporarily. The highlight of your day is removing adhesive from
your leg. :rotfl:

You sound normal for one week post op. Happy One Week Anniversary! You're doing great. :happydance:
@Icespirit5

Hope you feel better, I’m 15 days out, and I also have a lot of swelling, pain in my knee, calf and foot. The hip pain is tolerable, it’s the swelling pains that are so intense and miserable. I put ice under my knee and elevate my leg, but then my knees hurt if I elevate to long. Some times I feel better if I walk a little. The good news is this is temporary and will go away. Good luck to you and God bless.

@ceezee some how I missed replying to you. It is so strange cause Ive have surgical bandages before on my hip and been fine. I definetly will be telling them if I ever have another surgery. It won't be an experience I'll forget easy.

Thanks @Marvin L and @Layla !! Man I am feeling so much better today than I have in days!! Yes its pretty sad the highlights of the past few days were when I could get bits of adhesive off! :loll:
But seriously it is almost all off now and feels so much better! A large area is still quite red but whooo it dont feel nearly as bad. I will probably take a picture here soon for the scar thread :loveshwr:
I also was able to conquer stairs yesterday, had a great PT session, and got to get out of the house for a bit for the first time!! :happydance::happydance:also had a shower this morning again!
Let's just say that makes me feel pretty good today :egypdance::dancy:
@Evi Ive started seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! Hope you are doing just as well !

Last edited:
Well, I'm on a cane and feeling like myself again! Problem is, I still cant drive and get out. Im stuck at the house all day alone and don't really know what to do with myself. Typically, I'd be getting out, going for short walks at the park, having lunch with people, and running errands. I did a lot around the house yesterday, but today I just feel kind of tired and lonely :unsure: Im not sure what to do to keep my mind busy. I tend to be a very busy person, so taking it so slow has been difficult.
Any suggestions?

Keep posting here. Go over to the Games Room and try some of those. Mindless TV or some of your favourite music. Just remember, it's a short space of time for a lifetime without hip pain.

This is some of what that I’ve been doing: reading the books I have stacked up that I hadn’t made time for earlier, rewatching favorite TV series from beginning to end, sitting outside and doing those two things on my iPad, finishing the New York Times crossword puzzle daily, taking photos on my iPhone of my slowly overgrowing back garden, learning how to use my iPhones capabilities to take better photos, thinking about and starting to plan the next big project I can start when I feel healed, thinking about what I’m going to cook first when I can - maybe a new cuisine entirely...... Most of it is head work but I’m ok with that.

Knit?:rofsign:

Poor @Icespirit5 . I am a very high energy individual myself so I can only imagine if I had dealt with my recovery at 25 years old.:dubious: I am SURE I would be driving everyone batty.
But as Jaycey says, not too far down the road (Like, Forever...it seems) you will be good to go.
Hard to even get out and get some tan and fresh air with the temps the way they are now in our neck of the woods.
Healing hugs coming your way.

Thanks for the ideas :)
@Mojo333 Haha I am living at home with my parents at this time and I am probably about to drive them crazy :heehee: I live in Georgia so the heat has definitely been intense. I've been able to get out and driveway sit some and read, which has been a big improvement. It will be really nice to get my life back for sure and actually get to do the things 25 year old should be able to do! I am excited for that! One of my long term goals is to be able to ride a bike pain free :biking:.
I haven't been able to do it at all in over 3 years. The last time I did 3 years ago it was pretty painful and I even had the seat jacked up all the way (toes couldn't touch at all- good think I didnt have to make a quick stop)
I am already feeling the benefits bending wise. I use to get an aweful popping and get stuck sometimes when bending at my hip. Tis no longer there!! Whooo!
There are definetly some benefits Im already seeing that I always just thought I'd have to live with. Plus, I'm now even!!! Havent been that way in 15 years! That was an unexpected plus!

I am contemplating making my homemade pound cake to take in to my OS office when I have my follow up appointment, but Im not sure if that would be appropriate :heehee: Dont care a whole lot if it is or isnt :rotfl:
I am a teacher, and we always have to think about where our homemade gifts come from unfortunetly.
Plus a pound cake is kind of large :heehee:

I live in Georgia too...and it IS hot.

You will be riding your bike before you know it...but we want this hip right, tight, and out of sight.
So flex those patience muscles.
You are going to love this new hip life!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts