THR Icespirit5 Recovery Thread

@mikeycat @Mojo333 , @Layla , @Elf1 and everyone else thank you for you words of support, encouragement, and kindness :)
@Tarajeane the knee pain has definetly eased up! Im a bit more bendy now :dancy: i hope your knee has eased up as well

Just an update
I have been doing really well all things considered! I am only on my ibuprofen / Tylenol mix during the day and the narcotic (they gave me low does oxycodone) by night. I tried to see if I'd be okay with out it tonight, but as I am posting at 12:30 am it was a nope. I became uncomfortable and woke myself up. The pain is not too out of hand and I am icing as well before I try to sleep again.
All in all I feel like the difference just day by day in what I can do and my pain level is amazing. I know the recovery road will be long, but I'm definetly happy with my progress. I was able to shower today which was quite a blessing in itself!! I was feeling quite ripe :snork:

I really took notice of some pretty extensive swelling today that I hadnt seen before. My entire thigh to my knee looks like a sausage. Which bring me to my queery. Where should I ice first? I have been kind of rotating my ice machine pad in 3 main areas.
1. my upper thigh/butt area (this area is 1st on my list currently) 2. Front/top inner thigh, 3. knee/lower thigh. All three areas are swollen and have some pretty tense muscles
Where should I ice for the best effect ?
(any and all magical ice lores are welcome:spin:)

Last edited:
I think it is as you say...ice here, there, like whack a mole trying to figure it out early days:sigh:
Make sure you are keeping the leg elevated too, which will help your body deal with the swelling!
Hope today is a Good Day @Icespirit5 :ok:

Haha wackamole is right! It ain't like "oh I twisted my ankle. Lets ice that small area." Its more like hmm well the upper have of my leg looks like a sausage front to back. Well gotta start somewhere.

Hey @Mojo333 by elevate what exactly does that mean? I mean sitting in a recliner. Does that count?

Last edited:
I hope so...that's where I did my elevating.:)
I tried to kick mine back that extra notch...toes above nose is optimum...but I didn't always get there.
Got a great explanation from another staff member that it help your lymphatic system take care of built up fluid in extremities...as most of your lymph nodes are located in your torso.
Made sense to me!:ok:

Sounds like you're doing pretty good. Just a word of caution, I know everybody gets all freaked out about the pain meds but speaking from experience, do not let the pain get ahead of you. You need to stay ahead of it and you're way too early to be worrying about not taking your meds as prescribed. You'll heal better/quicker if you're not fighting the pain.
:hissy:

Oh gee I feel for you. The ice all over should help and do you have compression stockings? Do you have edema?

Hmm well Ill work with what Ive got then with the recliner
@mikeycat i have been wearing the socks like I'm supposed to and I don't think so? (I had to Google what that was)

Oh big fat inflated legs retaining water due to surgery. I hardly peed and with the compression stockings I am now in the bathroom much more frequently and boy do those legs feel less like cement and more human.

I drink a lot and pee all the time :heehee: I had a bit of a rough night last night. I had taken all my meds like I was supposed to before bed, but I woke up about 4 AM in awful pain. I took another one of my narcotic pills and that helped, but it was really bad. It felt like extream growing pains around my knee and hurt a ton in my groin area. I have been pretty good this morning though I had a spell of hot lightheadedness. I think Id just been up too long though. Ive laid down and things have been better.

I have noticed the area around my incision itching. Is that normal?

Yes, my grandma always said that's when it's getting well!:curtsey:

My whole leg, foot was extremely swollen I’m two weeks tomorrow and it’s still swollen but has gone down a lot. I also have a lot of black and blue all over my leg and foot. Knee pain is worst then my hip. I have been wrapping it and it helps a lot. Also wear compression socks all day. I take them off at night and out them on first thing in Am before I get out of bed- was told this is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Icespirit5 - how are you doing ? I see you showered today - soo nice - but did you have trouble getting the compression stockings back on ? Im allowed tomorrow and only partially looking forward to it - despite the fact I’m looking like Pigpen from the Peanuts cartoons- but I hate the thought of someone pulling and tugging on my surgical leg getting those babies back on -

I also have had to start icing more than just the immediate surgical area -

Glad to hear that you are healing and doing better each day !

The compression stockings are great for all the swelling and edema. Hopefully the pains will abate with ice and pills of course. I know knee pain seems to be the worse for me.

Hey @Evi ! I showered again yesterday, and really the stocking isnt bad at all with someone helping you and a real sweet trick. If your stocking has a hole at the pad of your foot you will be in luck. Put a plastic baggy on your foot and have someone prepare the stocking like panty hose. Once you get it around your ankle you can pull the bag out through the hole! It's marvelous! The pulling isn't too bad just take it as slowly as needed :)

I never fully realized how much icing helped!! I am doing well. I had a really good day yesterday after I got past that morning. I have PT at home again today, so I'm just hoping it doesn't make me hurt way later like last time :scare:. I plan on asking her about the itching cause around my incision sight where it itches is kind of red. Im hoping for just healing and some slight irritation.

My first bandage gets to come off this Friday too!! Its got this fancy pressurized drainage tube attached to it that makes for such lovely heavy neck wear. I just dont know what Ill do without it...NOT :snork:.
I do worry about the itching when the bandage is off. Its kind of like my final line of defense. I will be able to post my lovely mark in the forum though :walking:
Ive got staples... never had those before and they will come out next Friday :shocked: the thought is terrifying (of all the things I could be scared of :umm:)

I'm still using my walker though. I am weight bearing as tolerated... I just dont feel real stable yet. Any suggestions? Am I supposed to be off of it yet?

I am so jealous about that shower--19 days and counting. Nurse comes tomorrow to give OK I hope! Have been oozing but has since ceased, last staple removed on Monday.

I moved to two crutches at 9 days. I feel it’s just as stable but when I was using the walker I tended to lean to into it out of habit. I feel since using the crutches I have been getting stronger. Two weeks today:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by elevate what exactly does that mean? I mean sitting in a recliner. Does that count?

The article on ELEVATE -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/pain-and-swelling-control-elevation-is-the-key.7602/

A great explanation from, Jamie, from Admin to help understand the purpose of elevating -
The lymphatic system rids the body of fluid (swelling). In elevating, fluid from the hip area or lower extremities is gravitationally pulled toward the lymph nodes in the torso area to be processed more quickly. The lymphatic system works rather slowly on its own so elevating assists in speeding up the process. The fluid isn't draining into the hips, it's contained within the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

I hope this gives you a better understanding.

Please know that being on a walker at less than one week post op is normal. Some use one for several weeks before graduating to a cane, or crutches. I moved from walker to cane at 11 -12 days. Some transition sooner, some take longer. You need to concentrate only on what's comfortable for you since we heal at different rates and go into surgery in different states of physical disability. It will come soon enough. Take it slow.

A great day to you!
@Icespirit5

@Icespirit5 - I’m so happy for you that yesterday was such a wonderful day -

You seem to have an upbeat positive attitude which is so important - sending you all good wishes for a continued successful recovery - hope pt is easy and productive

All the best

My upper leg was most swollen from day 5 through 10. I even measured the good thigh circumference Vs op side and kept a record for a few days just to see if it was getting worse or better! And yes it got better fairly quickly. My butt/upper hip was so swollen it looked like a Kardashian :yikes:which was disconcerting because it was only the one side! Eeks. Not a pretty sight. I elevated my leg almost all the time, even when in my recliner chair I had hubby put pillows on the foot part. I wore (still wear at 4 weeks) my ted socks all the time, only taking them off for 30 to 45 minutes when I have a shower. They actually feel good when they go back on, sort of like shapewear keeping everything in its place. :yes!:

Re scar, after I got dressing off day 14, I was uber sensitive when I sat for any length of time. It also started to itch and even pinch a bit when I'd bend my body, which drove me nuts. When that happens I just lie down flat for awhile. I bought a sheepskin to put on my recliner which helped soften the seat and not irritate the scar as much. I'm putting propolis gel on the scar and it's really looking and feeling good but still itchy at times. I had internal paper stitches which dissolve on their own so I know things are healing on inside. Early days for you. It DOES get better!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom