BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Ice machines

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by tollertwins, Feb 5, 2019.

1. tollertwins

tollertwins junior member

United States United States
    So I was thinking of getting one of these to make icing easier on both myself and hubs.

We’re dividing the house off so that I have the master bedroom area and he and the dogs have the rest of the house (don’t want my old, blind, deaf dog knocking into me after surgery! :yikes:). I’ll have a little fridge w snacks, but nothing big enough to hold ice packs. I was thinking about using alcohol gel packs instead of ice because they stay cold longer.

My worry is whether there is so much “stuff” (cords, hoses, etc) that you are in danger of getting tangled up getting out of bed? Will also have a bedside lamp and places for my iPad and phone. It was just sounding like a lot of cord type things...

2. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

United States United States
    I have a Breg Polar Pack. It has a hose to the pad you place on you. It has a small cord that plugs in the wall. Didn't have any problems with it and early days my wife would move it to the bedroom when I was going to bed and then back to the living room after I got up. After the first few days it was just left in the living room next to the chair.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There are heaps of threads on here about ice machines and which is best! You could start off with our official article from the Forum Library Ice to control pain and swelling

• Like Like x 1
  4. wayner1

wayner1 new member

Canada Canada
    I'm scheduled for April replacement of left hip and in one of my pre-surgery meetings, I asked the physio about ice machines and she said in her view, they were of more use for knee than hip. But based on what I've read here already, seems very useful and so I will be purchasing one myself.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Apricot

Apricot senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That's a common view. I would ignore it and get one.