BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Ice machines

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by tollertwins, Feb 5, 2019.

1. tollertwins

tollertwins member

United States United States
    So I was thinking of getting one of these to make icing easier on both myself and hubs.

We’re dividing the house off so that I have the master bedroom area and he and the dogs have the rest of the house (don’t want my old, blind, deaf dog knocking into me after surgery! :yikes:). I’ll have a little fridge w snacks, but nothing big enough to hold ice packs. I was thinking about using alcohol gel packs instead of ice because they stay cold longer.

My worry is whether there is so much “stuff” (cords, hoses, etc) that you are in danger of getting tangled up getting out of bed? Will also have a bedside lamp and places for my iPad and phone. It was just sounding like a lot of cord type things...

2. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

I have a Breg Polar Pack. It has a hose to the pad you place on you. It has a small cord that plugs in the wall. Didn't have any problems with it and early days my wife would move it to the bedroom when I was going to bed and then back to the living room after I got up. After the first few days it was just left in the living room next to the chair.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There are heaps of threads on here about ice machines and which is best! You could start off with our official article from the Forum Library Ice to control pain and swelling

• Like Like x 1
  4. wayner1

wayner1 junior member

Canada Canada
    I'm scheduled for April replacement of left hip and in one of my pre-surgery meetings, I asked the physio about ice machines and she said in her view, they were of more use for knee than hip. But based on what I've read here already, seems very useful and so I will be purchasing one myself.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Apricot

Apricot senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That's a common view. I would ignore it and get one.

6. SethNYC

SethNYC new member

I have a DonJoy Iceman which was recommended following rotator cuff surgery. It helped a great deal. Following my THR, I will definitely use it. Probably get a new replacement pad.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  7. Lola115

Lola115 member

I have the Ossur cold rush and still use it periodically. It was a blessing after my THR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SethNYC

SethNYC new member

The great thing about these machines is that you can run the cold water through the pads for about 5 hours continuously as opposed to ice packs for 15 minutes every hour. It was great to use overnite for my shoulder surgery.

9. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @tollertwins :hi:
    Best wishes for your big day on Monday.
    Wishing you comfort as you wait.
    Will look forward to your recovery thread.

10. Vader619

Vader619 new member

I have a Breg vPulse that was prescribed for my hip arthroscopy. Insurance covered it because the primary purpose was DVT prevention. The compression/ice sleeve was a blessing. I could wear it all night while I slept to help with swelling and pain. If you can get an ice machine I would recommend.

11. wayner1

wayner1 junior member

Canada Canada
    Thanks for the info. I ended up purchasing the Breg Polar Care Kodiak and now my question is around what's best to put under the cold pad? I didn't order any of their pads thinking there's cheaper alternatives - terry cloth towel, elastic bandage?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

I just put it on my pants,shorts or pajamas. I kept a small towel handy if I wanted to move it to my knee while wearing shorts. I also used the towel rolled up to keep the pad against my hip while sitting in a chair. Do water bottles fit in your cooler? Mine held 4 water bottles perfectly so we kept extra water bottles in the freezer so I could rotate them out. I wouldn't have to fool with ice cubes and just left the water in it and dropped replacement frozen bottle in and I was good to go.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. wayner1

wayner1 junior member

Canada Canada
    Thanks @Eman85 - that makes sense to just do it over the pj's. Can't imagine I'll be getting into the tux and dancing for a few weeks at least! And yes, just tested that 3 or 4 standard plastic water bottles fit fine so pulling empties out of the recycle bin now and freezing a bunch.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 59billy

59billy member

Y
    You'll be glad you got it. I had the same unit in the hospital and they sent it home with me. It does help a lot.

15. Chappyd

Chappyd junior member

That's great that they gave you something like that to take home. I ordered one today, should be here on Sunday. I had bought a bunch of gelpaks. They only lasted 10-15 minutes before getting to what felt like room temp. Sunday is prep day around here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

The machine is so much better than ice or ice packs. You can leave it on for hours and it's still cold. It won't damage your skin like an ice pack, and you can sleep on it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. wayner1

wayner1 junior member

Canada Canada
    @Chappyd, good luck Monday. I too am spending the weekend doing final prep, last minute practice on the stairs, psyching myself up.

• Like Like x 2