Lounge Doctor

TKR Ice machines, and other post op items you found helpful.

Bunnyhead

Country
United States United States
Hi, I am new here need to have tkr in both knees. Trying to wait till 2022. But gathering information now. What ice machines and other items do you recommend for post op. To have less pain and make days easier. Thanks

Maregold

Country
We bought the ColdRush Compact ice machine off Amazon last year when my husband had a hip replacement. For my knee replacement surgery on 8/16 we bought a knee pad for it. I am using it around the clock when I am in bed. I also use the hip kit that he bought. It contains a leg lifter, a reacher, a long handle shoe horn, a long handle back sponge, a sock assist, and a dressing stick. I use all of these tool daily. I have bed an adjustable bed frame which has helped with elevating my surgical leg. When I saw my surgeon yesterday he commented on how little edema I apparently have for being only 5 days post op. My knee looks huge to me, but apparently it is not. We borrowed a walker from our local loan closet, and I bought an adjustable bedside table for $20 on FaceBook Forum. I've been listening to audio books that I borrow from the library. Good luck with your surgery.

Susie-Q

graduate
Country
I'm preparing for my second TKR on Aug 30th. I have a shower chair, elevated toilet seat with handles, walker, cane, walker bag for carrying my phone, tablet, etc, ice machine (I've tried it out and it's great but make sure you use 4 frozen water bottles for maximum coldness), socks with non-skid bottoms, bed tray for my computer/tablet, back support pillow for the bed and two body pillows (one for the bedroom, one for family room). I have a recliner with automated reclining plus our couch has automated reclining all the way to flat with adjustable neck support. I'm trying to decide if I need a Lounge Doctor or if my body pillows will be enough for elevating.......

FourCats

Country
Do check with your surgeon to see what will be provided for you, I actually came home with an ice machine, inflatable compression device, and assistive aids such as grabber, shoe horn, sponge on a stick, and the PT strap which I used to lift my leg in the first week or so.

Other suggestions are a walker with a basket, quad cane, either a shower chair or transfer bench, and something with which to have your cell phone with you at all times.

i also recommend a pedal exerciser which I used for about four months prior to my surgery (along with pre-hab exercises) and continue to use now. I believe it helped with the post-op flexibility and allowed my range of motion to increase fairly quickly. The one I bought off of Amazon was about $50, a great investment.

OP
OP
Bunnyhead

Bunnyhead

Country
Thank you all for the great information. I really appreciate it!

OP
OP
Bunnyhead

Bunnyhead

Country
We bought the ColdRush Compact ice machine off Amazon last year when my husband had a hip replacement. For my knee replacement surgery on 8/16 we bought a knee pad for it. I am using it around the clock when I am in bed. I also use the hip kit that he bought. It contains a leg lifter, a reacher, a long handle shoe horn, a long handle back sponge, a sock assist, and a dressing stick. I use all of these tool daily. I have bed an adjustable bed frame which has helped with elevating my surgical leg. When I saw my surgeon yesterday he commented on how little edema I apparently have for being only 5 days post op. My knee looks huge to me, but apparently it is not. We borrowed a walker from our local loan closet, and I bought an adjustable bedside table for $20 on FaceBook Forum. I've been listening to audio books that I borrow from the library. Good luck with your surgery.
So the ice machines do not come with a knee pad....that is something you have to buy separately?

Maregold

Country
The ice machines come with a joint specific pad. I could have used the hip pad that we purchased for my husbands hip replacement, but I wanted the knee pad that did not ice the patella itself. I found it uncomfortable to ice that part of my knee.

OP
OP
Bunnyhead

Bunnyhead

Country
The ice machines come with a joint specific pad. I could have used the hip pad that we purchased for my husbands hip replacement, but I wanted the knee pad that did not ice the patella itself. I found it uncomfortable to ice that part of my knee.
Thank you, new to this so trying to get educated.

OP
OP
Bunnyhead

Bunnyhead

Country
I'm preparing for my second TKR on Aug 30th. I have a shower chair, elevated toilet seat with handles, walker, cane, walker bag for carrying my phone, tablet, etc, ice machine (I've tried it out and it's great but make sure you use 4 frozen water bottles for maximum coldness), socks with non-skid bottoms, bed tray for my computer/tablet, back support pillow for the bed and two body pillows (one for the bedroom, one for family room). I have a recliner with automated reclining plus our couch has automated reclining all the way to flat with adjustable neck support. I'm trying to decide if I need a Lounge Doctor or if my body pillows will be enough for elevating.......
Thank you.....this helps alot.

jaspa

Country
There is a lot of comments of the ice machine being used, I really don't know that I could handle that and I don't have many electric outlets in this old house so I'm thinking I will have to live with ice packs only

GiantFinnegan

Country
@jaspa I had the old-school ice cooler "machine" that did not require electricity. It's just gravity fed, once the water in the pad becomes warmish, you just lift it up, swish around the cooler, and then refill with cold water. I know a lot of people prefer the electric ones, but this one was all I had and it worked well for me. I particularly liked having it by the bed at night because I could re-cool the pad without having to get up to go get more ice packs. The water stayed plenty cold overnight. I used it for the first 2 weeks, but then after that I used only gel freezer packs and did just fine. Just get at least 6 packs to be able to rotate often.

GZGirl22

Country
There is a lot of comments of the ice machine being used, I really don't know that I could handle that and I don't have many electric outlets in this old house so I'm thinking I will have to live with ice packs only
My surgeon is top notch but he is old school --- no CPM machine-just told me to ankle pump pretty much all day long. :) Same thing with the ice... I am using ice packs and it has been just fine. Just get three large ones so you always have one NICE AND COLD. My favorite is a Thermo Active Flexi Kold pack. It seems to stay cold longer than my active paks and is very moldable. it was the FlexiKold 10 x 14 (approximately) and was on Amazon for about 16 bucks. I already had the active packs and the knee compression sleeve, but honestly, the FlexiKold was a way better pack and durable. Do check the return policy before buying.

Last edited:

Susie-Q

graduate
Country
@GZGirl22 , I'm not having a CPM machine this time but I did 11 years ago. My surgeon says people would get to the same range of motion at 3 months whether they used the machine or not. I kind of liked it last time. I would lay there and let the machine do its thing and I'd often take a nap!

hawk2go

graduate
Country
I have these items:
  • Polar 3.0 ice machine - used ice packs for 1st knee, takes a lot of energy
  • single leg wedge for elevation
  • TV pillow and laptop bed tray
  • shower chair
  • step stool with long handle (this is priceless)
  • bedside commode
  • air compression leg cuffs (for later in the recovery)
  • mini peddler (upstairs)
  • semi recumbent stationary bike (downstairs)
  • resistance bands and ankle weights (for much later)

Irongirl56

Country
My surgeon had me use a CPM for 3 weeks. As you said it was easier for it to do the work. I also felt I could increase my ROM bit by bit daily with the CPM vs heel slides. And as you said, take a nap. I dont know if my ROM was better or worse for it but I have an aversion to heel slides and this machine made me feel less guilty about doing my ROM work!

ValleyGirl

Country
Agree with the aversion to heel slides. Just got done with my first CPM session. I did like it. I am 7 weeks post-op with 70 ROM. We are trying the CPM to see if it helps us budge the ROM without MUA.

elainec73

Country
I made my own ice packs; first time around they worked excellent; gallon and quart size baggies with 2 c. water and one cup rubbing alcohol; what I like most about them is they freeze up like a slushy and mold right around your knee and stay cold a long long time; refreeze and use again; I made six this time around and all different colors. Sewed a flannel cover for each size from a pretty flannel material I had. I feel more prepared this time (put in a taller toilet, froze lots of stuff to grab easily, was in market for new bed so got an adjustable base) 6 more days and I come out the side of recovery, definitely when the hard work begins! lol

jaspa

Country
I got the flexicold packs on Amazon and they are great and stay cold overnight in a cooler bag by the bed. I also made flannel covers for them so I do not have to worry about them touching directly in the skin or bandage. Thankfully at 3 1/2 weeks post surgery I have not been using any ice at night but always after my exercises since I have 1 more week of home PT.
Also do not tuck your top sheet in at the foot of bed my feet and legs do not like that.

WFD

Country
@GZGirl22 , I'm not having a CPM machine this time but I did 11 years ago. My surgeon says people would get to the same range of motion at 3 months whether they used the machine or not. I kind of liked it last time. I would lay there and let the machine do its thing and I'd often take a nap!
Your surgeon’s comment is true for regular TKR patients, but studies have shown that CPM machines do benefit patients with arthrofibrosis. It was so helpful for me I bought my own on eBay.

Top Bottom