ice machine recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

byroni10

Does anyone have any recommendations for the ice machines used after knee surgery. Are they worth it. Which ones are the best---and cost effieient

Roni

I've been using the ebice machine on my knees since the first dressing change in the hospital. A friend loaned me his machine (same surgery two years ago) and I want to believe he paid under a hundred bucks for it. I would call that a real bargain...this machine has been invaluable to me. It has done a fantastic job of keeping my swelling down and assisting in pain management. The set-up was simple, it's easy to get in and out of for restroom runs, and best of all it provides immediate relief. Just make sure you have a dressing between the cold pads and your skin; it gets very cold and one needs to be careful about frostbite. I've spent some cash on ice, maybe $5 a day as I don't have an ice machine on my refrigerator, but it's been well worth it. I'm sure there are other viable options out there so good luck with your search and your surgery. Ron

There's a thread in the Library explaining the basics Using ice to control pain and swelling. I used the Cryo-cuff which I bought off Ebay for about £50 but then I decided I'd prefer to buy a new cuff as I wasn't sure how the one that came with it had been used or cleaned (or not cleaned, by the looks of it!). That was £45 so all in all, it cost me £95 but it was worth every single penny!

I also got some 300ml plastic tumblers which I filled with water and froze. But somebody even improved on that by using 25ml plastic bottles which he filled with water and froze, and put them in the bucket! Great idea!

I don't think matters over much which machine, or whether you just use ice gel packs, they're all totally indispensable! :wink:

I used a Breg Polarcare machine that I got off of eBAY for under $50. It was invaluable and I wouldn't want to go through knee replacement without one. Some insurance companies cover their cost and I have seen others on the forum that brought one home with them from the hospital. Maybe you should call your doctor's office just to make sure it isn't covered before you invest in one. Do check eBay as I think they are close to $200 new.

I can't recall my brand. I bought one off of ebay. But after I got into my room after surgery, there were 2 brand new ones there, ordered by Dr. We had been told in knee/hip class, that garbage bags of ice would be placed upon us.

Couldn't have done it w/out those ice machines.

I second the Ebay PolarCare recommendation. Polar Cares are made by Breg; the most popular models are the 300, the 500 and the Kodiak. Both the 300 and the 500 use the same pads with the same type of coupling and are interchangeable. The Kodiak has a different set of pads. The 500 is bigger than the 300 and will stay cold for 8 to 10 hours; the 300 is good for 6 to 8. They usually sell for under $50 on Ebay.

If you're squeamish about used pads, you can purchase a new pad for ca. $50. You're going to be putting a pillowcase / tee-shirt / towel between the pad and your skin, so it's not a big deal one way or the other.

I used ColPac freezer gel pacs; I bought two of them. They worked fine for me. They were big---12X18 inches. Others have simply used frozen bags of peas, too! Ice machines are fine; gel pacs work, bags of peas also do the job; what is important, though, is that you ice and elevate as often as possible.

Tim C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member