Ice Machine recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurenkate

graduate
Country
United States United States
I went to my pre-op class today which was.....interesting. All of it was informative and useful but after reading so much here, I had a hard time not laughing when the nurse held up a couple of small ice packs and said that was all that would be needed for swelling. She also said most people were up and about and getting on with their lives about 2 weeks after surgery which also seems a little optimistic but hope she's right!

They don't use ice machines in the hospital and I was hoping they would recommend a certain type, etc. so I'm on my own to try to figure this out. It sounds like the Breg is the one to have but apparently a prescription is needed for it. There are quite a few for sale on ebay but have been burned (no pun intended) enough there to want to avoid that route.

Has anyone bought another brand they especially like? Any recommendations (or suggestions about what to avoid) will be appreciated.

Once again, thanks.

My insurance won't cover an ice machine so i made up two gallon size and two quart size water and rubbing alcohal that was said on this site i use them now and they work great i made two of each so i'd always have a spare in the freezer i think i spent $5 so they are worth a try

She also said most people were up and about and getting on with their lives about 2 weeks after surgery which also seems a little optimistic but hope she's right!
I'll give you two guesses about that! :heehee:

As for the ice machine, I used a Cryocuff which I bought off Ebay. I used it for two knees and loaned it to two other folk for their knees. I still have it. It was actually bought off Ebay,com, the US site. I chose it because it had a little pump that was supposed to circulate the water. However, it also used US power which is 110-120 volts while the UK is 240. So with the converter in place, there wasn't enough 'ooomph' in the pump to make it work! But ti was okay because I was still able to use it the gravity fed way. Lot of fuss and trouble for nothing really!

BUT the Cryocuff is certainly a nice, basic, unfussy device and I was very happy with it.

I have many different devices in here Ice to control pain and swelling

Josephine - yes, I'd read the article about how to control pain and swelling with ice and wondered if anyone else uses the Donjoy model because the Breg needs a prescription unless ordered off ebay.

I was so surprised when the nurse mentioned the thing about 2 weeks and thought it was really unfair to tell people that; it seems to set up very unrealistic expectations for the patient and their caregivers.

I was able to buy my Breg on line without a prescription but I had to pay full price for it. I bought it on Amazon. I didn't use an ice machine the first time around. I found it easier to use the ice machine especially immediately post op and overnights. It made it easier to only have to change out the ice compartment a couple of times a day.

It would be fabulous if they used people who had actually had KR to do pre-op education. MY OS's receptionist has had one and she gave great, realistic advice similar to what I have read here one BS.

@DebM I wholeheartedly agree with you. It would be nice to have someone who knows to teach the class, or at least co-present.

@Laurenkate I bought a Breg Polar Cube from a durable medical supply store near Buffalo, NY. I did not need a prescription. I am pretty sure that my insurance would have covered it if I had gotten a prescription stating it was medically necessary. I used it for both knee replacements and I loved it! It held 4 frozen water bottles and it would stay cold all night long.

Good luck with your decision and pending surgery!

Jen

I finally called the doctor's office and was told the doctor doesn't recommend ice machines. !! They've only prescribed one in the past 6 years because people don't use them properly and they "want their patients to get up and around and not get too comfortable using ice all the time". Hmmmmmmm. This is similar to what the nurse said earlier today but it seems a little goofy to me. My leg has been swollen and ranging from uncomfortable to miserable for a year and when it's really swollen, I don't particularly feel like doing exercises, etc.

This is beginning to remind me of natural childbirth in the 80's when the male doctors said there was nothing to it. After 3 days of natural childbirth with back labor, I suggested my doctor pull a piano through his nose and then tell me there was nothing to it. Getting cranky.....

They've only prescribed one in the past 6 years because people don't use them properly and they "want their patients to get up and around and not get too comfortable using ice all the time"
What was wrong with them doing a little education then? Sheesh!These doctors would sooner see their patients in pain than get off their bums and do a little patient care!
I suggested my doctor pull a piano through his nose and then tell me there was nothing to it.
:heehee: :rotfl:

That reminded me of a young surgeon who cheerfully told a female patient that having a cystoscopy would be no different than having sexual intercourse! The patient lifted her head to glare at him between her legs and asked in a very disparaging way "And how the heck would you know?"

Well the dr won't know what you don't tell him. Get yourself an ice machine or a few large gel packs, whichever you feel will help you the most.

KarriB - that's what I'm going to do. I have plenty of gel packs but the ice machine would be much more convenient, especially at night. I'll bet you anything some doctors have been sued by people who used the ice machine incorrectly; that would explain why they discourage the use of them. It makes sense but still frustrating.

A few here have found ice machines on Craig's List. I used mine several times a day for the first month.

My doctor here in Tennessee recommended the machine, and had them for sale in his office. Very fair price, less than what I would have paid on the Internet. Donjoy Iceman, paid $120 US dollars. Works great, full of ice, it will last 4 to 6 hours. Great for bedtime use, plus I used it daytime as well in first 4 weeks.

Lane47; one of things learned here is how the doctors do different things for what is (essentially) the same type of procedure. Your doctor does what I'd think most doctor would do - give their patients an alternative and sell directly to them. Thanks for the Donjoy recommendation; that's the one I've been looking at online.

I found the cryo cuff to be great and like Lane47, i also thought it was really good at night when sleeping. I picked up a used one and had no trouble. My girlfriend just had knee surgery and didnt like the CC. She liked big frozen bags of peas instead...

My hospital has said they give you a cryo cuff but not the bucket. Said they give it to you filled, and just to refreeze it each time it warms up. A patient who was at the pre op with me for their 2nd tkr said they were given this on their 1st , so they got a bucket on eBay. Told me it worked really well and to get a bucket. I've got the bags and alcohol to make my own, so will see how it all goes. .
My daughter keeps telling me that the dogs who get tkr s on the vet TV programs have no trouble and I shouldn't be so worried, but I tell her they have 3 other legs to use!:chinstroke:

If you're going to make your own ice packs be sure to double bag them as they have a tendency to leak.

I like the Breg Kodiak polar! I use frozen ice bottles (rotating 9 all totaled. A set of three in the ice machine and two sets of three in the freezer.) That will allow you to have ice on your knee as much of the day and night as you will be using it.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I have been researching ice machines as I find that there are days that my 6 ice packs are not enough. There are 3 surgeries in my future( 2 knee replacements with an ankle replacement in between). Buying an ice machine will be an investment. One concern is I have is how big is the knee pad. I am a big girl and my knees are large.

I am absolutely an ice machine fan! My knee pads attach across the back with wide elastic straps with Velcro on each end. (I,too, am a big girl; and they cover the knee very nicely.) A very cool thing about the kneepads is that the lower part of the kneepad is intended to strap on below the knee. There is a section in the center that is intended to go over the kneecap. Then there is the upper part which is intended to strap on above the knee. In the end it very nicely cradles the knee in coolness! :ice:I will say that sometimes I put the kneepads on the back of the knees and strap them across the front. That helps some of the swelling in the back of the knee go down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member