Ice Machine and Exercises Prior to Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pattikakes

Country
United States United States
I'm curious as to what ice machines are best and where is the best place to buy them. My doctor's assistant seems to feel they will only send me home with ice packs and not a machine. Also, would love to hear from anyone who has done exercises prior to surgery to strengthen muscles. What exercises in particular would help?

I was sent home with an ice machine, but it was through my insurance. You can give them a call to see if it's part of your insurance. I wished I had done some straight leg lifts leading up to surgery. It was the hardest thing for me. I do them regularly with my left natural knee because it's going to need done soon. But don't do anything to cause more pain to your knees. If it hurts don't do it. Below is a link to pre-surgery exercises.

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/pre-surgery-exercises-for-tkr-patients.18474/

After my 2 surgeries (in 2 different hospitals) I was sent home with ice packs that have a velcro wrap that contained two at a time with another set that went into the freezer. They worked fairly well. I wanted to get an ice machine that I could set up so that it would work for a longer time for me especially over night. I settled on one that was fairly expensive but when packed with frozen 'picnic' blocks and small frozen bottles of water it would last for 8 hours. Since I live alone it made it much easier on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pattikakes I do a range of exercises in the pool three times a week -
Walking and a range of motion including leg swings and extensions etc. I find because of my gait my hips are really tight and it's easier to get a better range in the pool with usually minimal discomfort afterwards - unless I forget and go too fast/hard :)

I worked out at the gym with weights and my legs were strong before surgery. I can't really say how much it might have helped. My OS prescribes exercises before surgery but he did not for me because of my gym work. He thinks it is very helpful to build muscle strength before surgery.

I suggest you call your insurance company about the ice machine. I actually have two of them, one for each surgery that I took home from the hospital.

It is good to go into surgery with strong muscles, but some people just can't do pre-op exercises, because their knees cause them so much pain.

@Red's Mom what should I look for in the Breg Polar Cube. I didn't have one with first knee replacement but would like to get one for this upcoming surgery. I'm looking in eBay. Should it come with anything? Also how long at one time can this be used on my knee?

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I would say, call your insurance to see if they cover the ice machine. I'm going to call mine today!

I had a BTKR pre-ice machine. I used these---they were awesome!
ai1195.photobucket.com_albums_aa394_referee54_colpac_universalc8ec28b6aa22eee7cd9aa0a8a02d86c2.jpg
12"X18"---and I still have them today---they are greats for bumps, bruises, and strains. In the "old days" people used bags of frozen peas to ice their TKR's.

I used a Breg Polar Cube for the two weeks I was in rehab and it was really nice, because it lasted several hours before it needed to be refilled with ice. However, I have only used gel ice packs since coming home and they work equally well. I had about 3 weeks of PT prior to surgery, but was dismissed by my therapist because it was not helping and was making my pain a lot worse. Some say PT before helps, and some say not. For me it was not.

@referee54 I ordered those same ice packs (13x10) and really like how long they stay cold. I was surprised at how heavy they seem to be.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. My doctor's assistant seems to feel that they'll send me home with ice packs only, not a machine. I guess that means I'll have to buy one myself if I want one. As far as the exercise, I guess I'll just continue to do the little bit I've been doing which are leg lifts and slides. I've gotten to the point where I can't do my recumbent bike or rowing machine. Hopefully, after my new knees.

I do not feel that it is super-important to try to work hard prior to your TKR---I was pretty active prior to my BTKR, and I was still amazed at how my leg muscles atrophied, anyway. After your TKR, and when I was fully recovered, I could do basically anything that I wished in terms of exercises---I cycle a great deal, walk, and use an elliptical machine. Do not get frustrated by the lack of exercise prior to a TKR---it is not an absolute.

In regards to the ice machine---you may purchase one if you wish---check Craigslist or such---but I got along just fine with the big ice packs.

If your insurance will not cover the ice machine buy one used on EBay! That's how I acquired my second machine for less than $60.00

My doctor's assistant seems to feel that they'll send me home with ice packs only, not a machine.
I only used ice packs and they worked very well. I bought 6 of the gel packs and kept them in the freezer. I would use one at the front of my knee and one at the back. I found that the gel packs stayed cold for about an hour. As they softened, they moulded to the shape of my knee.
At night, I would go to sleep with the frozen gel packs on my knee and I changed them out for more frozen ones when I woke during the night.

I still have those gel packs, permanently frozen and ready for use on my grandchildren's bumps and bruises.

I wouldn't go to the expense of buying an ice machine.

I have made a number or 'gel' packs. I use them pre op as a method of pain control. After a day at work they often work better than painkillers, and certainly give an immediate relief.

My doctor recommended the Polar Care Kodiak or the Cothera VPulse for cold therapy. My insurance company won't pay for either, but I was able to purchase a new VPulse unit from EBay for less than Polar Care Kodiak would have cost from the supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom