TKR iCanDoThis Recovery Thread

Best wishes. I hope it goes well.

Here is the recovery reading we give to everyone:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

We're here for you when you need us. Good luck.

Yes, you can... wishing you well for tomorrow & a great recovery...starting here!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with your surgery. We’ll be waiting to hear from you.

Surgery day went well. I am in very little pain and have been up walking twice. Nothing strenuous but I’m so proud of myself.! I’ll go home before lunch tomorrow. Thanks for the well wishes and I’ll update again tomorrow.

oh well done... glad you are having a great start to your recovery...

It’s better once you get home... own bed & surroundings are great for healing..xxx

Looking forward to hearing more of your story. Good luck getting home today. The first car trip can be a big rough.

Glad you going home. You'll probably notice more swelling and pain and less ROM your first week or so. You will be doing a lot more now than what you did in the hospital. Take it slow and easy and keep that pain and swelling down by ice, elevation, and pain meds.

The positive attitude helps a lot.
I couldn't elevate really high right at first, I think it took me about a week to be comfortable.
Keep doing what you're doing and it will get better very soon.

Good news! Keep up the good work!!! It’s a ‘learn as you go along recovery’. xx[emoji3590]

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom