• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR I year post TKR still swelling alot

Imaswimmer

Country
United States United States
I had a RTKR in Sept 2018. 6 weeks later a large hematoma was removed. 9 months of pt with a great deal of pain and discomfort and it's finally over. i have good movement but it still swells. Had a procedure 2 weeks ago where an interventional radiologist went in and sealed off a bunch of capillary "bleeders". Knee still swells. My dr. has no idea why. i don't have a great deal of pain, but going down hill or down steps still hurts. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
By the way, had 2 other opinions by 2 other surgeons, one in the practice and one out of the practice, and they had no answers either.
i hope someone can give me an idea....

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to BoneSmart! I am sorry you're still having issues. I'm thinking that the 9 months of PT with "a great deal of pain and discomfort" may have contributed to your current swelling. Although PT in and of itself can sometimes be helpful, PT with pain is not helpful. I think it's very possible that the 9 months of painful PT has set back your healing and caused your continued swelling. My suggestion is to do some extra icing and some elevating when possible for a while, then see if there's any improvement. Don't do any heavy exercising, extreme distance walking, and so on; just give your knee some time to rest and recover. In a couple of months look back and see if there has been improvement; hopefully you'll see quite a bit of it. My thought process is it won't hurt to give your knee a bit of a break for a while, and it may very well help it. Please, keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions you have.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
You've received excellent advice in the post above. Constant pain from activity or therapy can be detrimental to your recovering knee and result in chronic pain (like you're having going down stairs or hills) and swelling. If you continue at your current activity levels that result in this swelling, you are running the risk of this being a permanent issue for you.

You have nothing to lose by dramatically reducing whatever activity it is that gives you the swelling (inflammation). Pick other activities that don't do that for at least a couple of months. After all, according to your post, your knee has been in a painful push for 9 months. It is possible to get it out of that inflammation cycle with some serious rest.

I'm going tag @CricketHip to come talk to you about lymphatic massage. This also may be of benefit to you if you can locate someone who is experienced in the type of problem you're having.

If you would please let us know your surgery date, we'll create a signature for you. Please include any surgeries you've had on your knees, hips or shoulders.

OP
OP
I

Imaswimmer

Country
my LTKR was 7 years ago and everything is perfect.
my RTKR was last year 9/11/18 and then again on 10/20 (to remove scar tissue). I have had at least 6 surgeries on this knee, the worst being a severed ACL repaired with a graft and several minescus surgeries due to tennis and running.
No surgeries on hips but had a clean-out of a rotator cuff problem in my left shoulder.
Thanks for any help.
Arlene

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hello Arlene!
I'm so sorry to hear of the issues with your right knee. I'm also sorry it took me a while to find your thread.
I agree with Jamie that Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) could possibly help with your inflammation, pain and swelling.
MLD is a very gentle modality that can give back amazing results.. If you can find a skilled MLD therapist to work on it, and give it time, you could be very pleased! It won't be a one session fix it, though.
Our lymph system is the janitor of our body. The lymphatic fluid helps swoosh away the proteins and metabolic waste that currently has taken up residence in and around your knee. Or anywhere there is chronic swelling, for that matter.
There are 2 ways to search, some Physical Therapy clinics offer MLD or even better Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT).
A CD Therapist will give you some aids to wear-compression garment or soft bandaging-to help keep the fluid from returning in between your sessions and hopefully give you some relief.
A Physical Therapy office that offers this is a good option because they probably can bill your insurance for the treatments. It's very important to have the garments professionally fitted, an ill fitting garment will cause more problems, so it's not a one size fits all.

MLD is good, too. But most MLD therapists aren't able to measure you for a compression garment or use bandaging, so it would take a little longer for you to feel progress.
My clients seek me out for the MLD when they don't want the compression added.. I've several with Rheumatoid Arthritis and have had great success is helping diminish their inflammation and swelling.
Eventually the lymph flow begins flowing much better and the results can be permanent or require a "tune up" every month or so. It depends on your body and how it responds.
I've seen it help chronic swelling from other causes too, such as a joint replacement, bad fractures and post surgically for many things.

The technique that is the most recognized seems to be the Vodder Method. Most therapists that use this method will have it listed in their description so it shouldn't be difficult to find.

I just dumped a lot of information on you, I hope you don't mind. If you have any questions, please tag me and ask away. I certainly think it would be worth trying, for sure!
@Imaswimmer

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Also, Arlene, may we have all of the dates of your knee procedures? It's very helpful in getting a clear picture of what you've been through. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
samsonite
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom