I will have a date tomorrow really scared

mikeycat

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
Was away this week-end and OS secretary called me on Sunday no less to give me a date for surgery. I had allergic reaction to penicillin which I knew I was allergic to and am now on prednisone as my hands swelled up and I got incredible joint pain.Was given this in pre-op apt. to access if I was still allergic as it is the drug of choice to be given prophetically during surgery . I am still allergic. I have to call the secretary tomorrow. I am reluctant to do so as I am terrified of the incapacity ,the scarring, the burden to everyone and to be honest the shame. I am having bilateral total hip replacement. Also I want to meet with the OS as I have only met with him for 5 minutes 7 months ago. I was to have this surgery in December but declined the 'offer.' I know from the sheets of info I was given that I musn't be on anything vitamins included for 2 weeks before surgery so this prednisone thing might jar the date. Tell me again how I will be walking fine after. I really don't have all the pain that many of you endure--just when walking for awhile. I am stiff and can't walk for very far nor stand for long nor do anything I used to and stay a lot in the house.I am retired. For the record both hips are bone on bone, no cartilage ,spurs, cysts, osteophytes. I was a athletic, marathoner. I used to have this incredible tolerance for pain --well no more. I am a terrified pathological mess. Someone toss me a line.I feel like such a fool when others have gone through this and more. Makes me angry with myself.

I promise you that all of us have
felt the same at some time during our THR journeys. Please don’t beat yourself up... we are all scared of the unknown.

However, I was more afraid of my life getting smaller & smaller, not being able to enjoy life because of pain & immobility.

I, too, am allergic to penicillin &
there are lots of other choices they can offer.

I’ve just had my 2nd THR (6 weeks) & I’m out & about with no pain.

Stay on Bonesmart & it will help with your fears .. we will all be here on your corner with advice & support...

Do let us know how you get on
tomorrow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are all in the same boat and here to help each other! I will be having my second hip done hopefully in the summer. My first THR was a success. But when the pain reared it’s ugly head about a month ago cause of my other hip all the fears and anxiety came creeping back. You are perfectly normal to have these emotions! Take one day at a time.

I think the first thing you need to do is stop being so hard on yourself. Being afraid pre-op is totally natural and you should not be angry with yourself. We were all in that space pre-op. Keep reading here - it does help ease the nerves.
Tell me again how I will be walking fine after.
You will be walking fine post op. The first attempt might be a bit stiff but all will ease and you will regain your flexibility very soon. If you are not in much pain now - that is a bonus. Limping around for months/years only complicates the recovery.

My colleague @Mojo333 had BTHR. I've tagged so that she can come and chat with you about her experience.

Like you I am a sportsman, in my case mountaineering and racing motorcycles. There is no shame in wearing out a pair of running shoes or splitting the seams on your gloves, you just laugh it off and get new ones. We are fortunate to live in an age where we can do the same with joints. You will not be a burden unless you want to be, I am a bloody minded arrogant individual and live by myself, I will not require help other than a ride to the shops or pub from my friends. You are been offered a new future, take it.

And a bright new future it is.
Hi @mikeycat
I sorry you are feeling so frightened and uncertain. Certainly I felt the same way, as I had a very hard time getting the proper diagnosis and when I did, they scheduled me for surgery in just over one month later.
I was in shock. I think mortified was the word I used.
I also barely knew my OS, had no other major health issues so barely had any relationship with a doctor who could reassure me.
Definitely felt like a leap of faith, but one that Did give me my life back. I was up walking...with a walker, within 12 hours. My quads felt extremely sore...like I'd run a marathon!
As Jaycey says, your muscles will be tight and you'll have to take it slow while you recover. But my guess is you are really tough. The waiting before really is the worst part.
Now I have my life back. I like to go boating, and swim and ride ATVs (and tie my own shoes and sleep) These things had become all but impossible.
Wishing you peace as you go forward.
This forum was a lifeline for me and there was a real comfort knowing advice and encouragement was coming from those who had been there.
Keep in touch!

Piping in to say “DITTO” to what everyone else has said!

I’m 3 weeks out from bilateral (as you know) and it’s sunny skies ahead! Don’t let fear rob you of your life.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

This forum was a lifeline for me, pre op. But if I am honest, sometimes it was all just pretty words and did nothing to calm my fears. But it got me through to the day I could begin to reclaim my life. While I was not bilateral, my world had become so small over nearly 15 years, All the things I enjoyed were vanishing. This surgery gave me that and more back.

i hope you can reach for this new life and freedom from pain. There is no shame in being afraid, or in being ill. Blessings as you go forward today.

Tell me again how I will be walking fine after. I really don't have all the pain that many of you endure--just when walking for awhile. I am stiff and can't walk for very far nor stand for long nor do anything I used to and stay a lot in the house.I am retired. For the record both hips are bone on bone, no cartilage ,spurs, cysts, osteophytes. Someone toss me a line.I feel like such a fool when others have gone through this and more. Makes me angry with myself.

@mikeycat There is no reason to be angry with yourself, we've all been through this and you are not alone! The fact that you're stiff with limited mobility is more than enough reason to have the surgery now before you do start experiencing the pain. You may want to read @JennyLynne thread titled: Twice as Nice - JennyLynne's recovery. She also had both hips done on April 15th and she is doing really well. I hope you're able to get your surgery date soon so you can look forward to a life doing the activities you used to enjoy!!

Hi to everyone. Many thanks to everyone and those are words to live by. Sometimes someone says something that clicks with me. I am a private person and as one said arrogant individual (referring to himself not me but I am referring to me)--keeps pain to oneself as this kind of stuff was never accepted when I grew up. It was grin and bear it and put on a happy face and dont burden anyone with your problems as we all have problems dont add to theirs.I called my OS 's secretary this am but as luck or the fates would have it the secretary is busy and I left a message and now I am off to athletic therapy.I know she will get back to me because I was disgruntled and had issues both at pre-op and I had to do the penicillin allergy test to which I had an allergic response forcing me to be on prednisone now.I also worry for my husband and son--how they perceived me and how I will be however shortly--stupid,huh? And I think how I will burden my already overburdened husband--eh gads.And I must must keep it together.

I totally get what you are saying, I was always told that no matter how sick I was, I had to go to school and later in life, it was you have to go to work. And I also heard that no one else needs to know your/our business, it's your/our problem. We all have sticky situations unfortunately. My mother was new to going in a nursing home which meant I had to really step up. My husband and I run a business together which seems like 24/7. The crazy worry and thoughts that went through my head. I put surgery off for 5 years so I could be everybody's everything person. The pain quadrupled in that time and for what. You must put yourself first in this; your husband and son will not perceive you any differently. If anything what you are doing with the surgery not only gives you your life back, it is also making theirs better. That's a long ramble but you seem to be down on yourself, you are not arrogant or a burden, you sound like a strong person! Have faith! :flwrysmile:

Hi, Another bilateral. Wow, you have friends here that have done it and survived well. I have tachycardia to worry about, it started when I was 60. Mom had it too. They put me on diltiazem for relaxing the arteries and klonopin to block adrenaline which sets it off. The klonopin is off label for this but is an anxiety med also and is coming in handy right now. I'll be on it for life for the tachy. I can't have ablation done. Anyway the reason I'm telling you is I'm afraid all this stress will start the tachy up and the opioids after surgery will start it up. It's been controlled well for the time with these 2 meds. If it's not one thing it's another making it hard to get fixed up. I hope it works out for you, and they find ways to get around your bumps in the road too. My heart is strong and healthy, according to tests, just a fluke of tachy probably inherited. So I know what you mean when you have hurtles to jump over trying to get this procedure done. Hugs to you....

From what you said your world has been getting smaller and activities decreasing. I am sure some of this is affecting your son and husband. Being retired makes it easier since we do not have to go to work but we deserve at retirement to be able to have a bigger world to enjoy. This will pass and once you are recovered which goes along fairly quickly you and your family will again be able to enjoy more activities together.

I know about being private also but this is the one place I have found that it is OK to express our hopes and fears and find understanding and support. Please continue to use the forum for support. It really does help - got me through 3 surgeries so far and is helping with getting ready for the fourth.

Thank you all. I have my date May 31. I am seeing the OS tomorrow which I suspect they did not want me to do as I could feel the irritation in the sec's voice however she softened when I said I was on prednisone because of the penicillin allergy they tested me for even though I said I was allergic. There is also a small detail about the redness in my leg which if they had listened to me is getting redder with the prednisone. I had a recluse spider bite a few years ago and since then every a.m. my leg has a red band where I had that wondrous bite. Thing is everytime I get another bite on it it blisters and leads to infection so I am a tad worried.I have not had a cold in years since that bite. Think I found a cure for the common cold?
@Cecropia I hope that all is ironed out before the big day which is when ? The additional worry is the pits ,huh? Sorry for this--thinking of you too.

Oh my stars...:spider:
No cold after that nasty spider bite.
That is weird...
You and I will share a bilateral surgery month along with Jenny!:chuckmarch:
You will be so much better for this surgery, that whatever "annoyance" you will be for dear hubby, he will be so excited to see you get your life back and if the shoe were on the other foot...you would do it for him...so don't worry.
I too am very independent, and it can be hard to relinquish your independence...but only a temporary situation for a permanent fix!
Will get your surgery date fixed and let's get this recovery show on the road!:happydance:

Glad you got your surgery date mikeycat.
And mojo that spider is creepy, eck, lol.

Thanks everyone. Seeing OS this am at 11 to answer questions. I will probably wait a long time but that is ok as I know beforehand.And today is the day that my power-lift recliner is to be delivered eh gads--always at the same time. Never a dull minute. I am very nervous about this meeting as this BTHR is becoming more of a reality and not just a horrible figment of my imagination.I am still having'visions' nightmares about this as I see in my dreams what all will be like and unfortunately when this happens I am rarely wrong.My face is coming into focus as are others a sort of weird thing about me.

Best of luck at your appt today. I hope you get all of your questions answered and are able to breathe easier afterward. Update us later on, if you feel inclined to share, we'll be here to listen.
A great day to you!
@mikeycat

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties