BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

I will have a date tomorrow really scared

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by mikeycat, May 5, 2019.

1. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @mikeycat
    Glad you have a date to work towards & hoping you get all your questions answered which hopefully will allay your fears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

United States United States
    Mickey cat, hope you start dreaming about walking along a nice hiking path by a river. Driving your car out for a spin. Nice dreams....that will happen in time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    OS apt. went fine today. The OS appears shy- strange- but I am calmed and feel better with surgery. He is a superb surgeon and head of orthopedics in the country just a man of few words. I dont need much but he said he did a bilateral last week-end on Friday and the person left on Sunday. I had the questions answered and am feeling easier.

• Like Like x 6
  4. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

Congrats on getting your surgery date, it will be here before you know it. My OS seemed a little "different" to me but he and my husband sure hit it off gabbing about everything except the surgery, lol. But he's the best surgeon and that's why I've had him do both of mine. So happy you were able to get your questions answered and maybe calm some of the pre-surgery jitters. Hope you have a wonderful afternoon!

• Like Like x 1
  5. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    I need a feel for people and I got that today as well as the explanations. The secretary is incredible as are the nurses/PT/OT who give a 2 hour session prior to surgery.I also spoke with another surgeon there so it was better for me. I need info. That is what calms my fears. I have settled down quite a bit. The sec called me when I returned home to confirm if I was indeed taking the May 31 date. Surgery hours are is 8 am, 10 am and noon.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    A question for those who had bilateral THR. What type--anterior,lateral, posterior? And for those who had posterior how was\is it? More difficult etc??

7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I has anterior but not to worry, it all levels out as we go along, and the approach is less significant than a successful surgery by surgeon who is adept at their particular approach.
    Your newest bestest friend!:yes:

This is the cure for your hip pain...
    You can do this!:ok:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
  8. 59billy

59billy senior

Sunshine Whoop surgery is the best!

9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Sorry... small phone, bad eyes. Since edited.
    Thanks for pointing it out @59billy !:heehee:
    Sunshine whoop is definitely a term I can get behind, however:SUNsmile::yes!:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. 59billy

59billy senior

I thought it was great! Autocorrect made a phrase that seems like the kind of bright, cheery thing you would say. Sunshine Whoop!

PS: I agree with your actual point, just couldn't be resist the fun!

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. J-nice

J-nice member

as I reflect back 4 yrars ago when my OS told me I had a choice to do one or both hips...one was super shot and the other was half way there. I decided to do just one. I regret that decision..I should have done both cause now a repeat of pain, etc....oh well. Such is life. So exciting for you that you have your date and feel good about your OS! I had anterior on first hip and will do the same for second. But go with your surgeon’s expertise!!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. 321Evie

321Evie junior member

Australia Australia
    I know being scared and in pain can put me over the edge, sorry you are going through this. I try listening to some mediation apps like Headspace as they have specific courses for pain management, fear, anxiety etc. Everything comes back to the breath. It really helps to calm me down.

All the best!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    I will try that Headspace tape if I find it.But I am having difficulty meditating with all the intrusive thoughts. Thanks for that.
    Dont know how I didnt write in the previous post.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. J-nice

J-nice member

I use the Calm app and sometimes Headspace. When the pain really spikes I take a Xanax.. very low dosage .

15. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Right now I am having second thoughts as I realize the posterior approach will be harder . I am wondering how I will sit or sleep for that matter since both sides are being done. I am also despondent and ruing why I just dont have only 1 to be done.I am thinking I cant go through with this. I am looking at the difference in scars and I dont want to say anything else for fear of disturbing people which is not who I am.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Where did you get this idea?. Posterior is not a "harder" recovery. As Mojo told you earlier the approach does not impact your recovery. It's all about the skill of your surgeon.

You are going to find hundreds of reasons why you don't want to got through this. But let me remind of the big plus in all this - you will get your life back! No more pain or stiffness. And better yet - one op and one recovery.

17. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

As Jaycey says the posterior is really not any harder... I’m 7 weeks post THR & have had a really good recovery with posterior approach & had my first done the same 6 years ago.

The scar goes to a thin white line you can barely see...

I’d rather have the approach my consultant was comfortable with & used to dealing with... anterior is not a faster recovery & although I did have 6 weeks of precautions (which are not onerous in the least) some surgeons are not using those either now.

Listen, I was terrified the first time... I mean shaking, throwing up, etc.. but it was all fine..

To be honest it’s the pre op pain that frightens me more... not being able to live my life to the full frightens me more..

Thinking of you as you make your decision xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

I'm having posterior mickycat. Only one side. The other is okay yet. Knock on wood... I have meditated and done yoga since I was 25. I also discovered by reading about yoga and hip problems that I may have overdone it on some postures. My meditation is not working right now. I also take klonopin for an off label use tachycardia, that's a fast heartbeat from adrenaline, not life threatening, but frightening and uncomfortable. My dose is 1/4 mg a day for 6 years. It is an anxiety med also and my pcp said if I get to the point I can't get through this to raise the dose temporarily for anxiety purposes, but so far I'm hanging at my usual dose. You might consider asking for something to calm you down, its seems really important that you get your surgery done and don't be ashamed to ask for help. Some people frown on anxiety meds, I brush them off....lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    @Cecropia I was a nurse many years ago and I have a family physician but I can see her in June only. There is a system in place here. I am not taking any meds save for the prednisone (temporarily) which was given following a swelling reaction to penicillin (test).Right now I have flight of fancy and would like to take a real flight outta here to the West coast see the grizzly, the wolves, the moose, the foxes,the forests -- nature in its splendour.
    The thing is I have stiffness and mobility issues not real pain which probably impacts my decisions.I have a myriad of thoughts swirling around in my head. I am not partial to crowds and as I was at the hospital yesterday to see the OS I was in a tizzy.Sorry for the Debbie Downer.I was a cheerful person. I am doing this for my husband.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

Do this for yourself. And when you get better take that real flight out to far away nature. I love nature and a bit of a loner, I am at most peaceful when on nature trails, my favorites in Arizona, hiked the canyon down to Indian gardens and to plateau point at 58. Everywhere I've gone I hike. Florida Ocala State Forest and just many states. I want this over, and hope to get my walking back without a cane. I am so starved right now to get out in the wildernes again. The most peaceful place on earth is out in nature away from it all... I hear you loud and clear friend.....

• Friendly Friendly x 2