Bilateral PKR One Year Update

If there is a difference between them it's usually because I was shopping and pushing the carriage so the FitBit doesn't pick up the steps or I'll use my phone and forget to put it back in my pocket. I always go by whichever one has the highest count.
When I first started using my GearFit, I got so frustrating because it wouldn't count my steps unless I swung my are. I did some research and found a FitBit Zip which is a clip on. I clip it on the bottom of my pants. This way I'm sure every step I take is counted!

@SherrieT Just jumped in for a quick check in. I've been so busy with work that I haven't been on bs in over a week. I miss it!

I just wanted to comment on the darn stairs again - so funny that I have absolutely no problem going down stairs, but you do, and I have a hitch in righty going upstairs and you don't. Knees, can't live with 'em and you just can't shoot 'em. I hope all is well. It is so hot here in mile hi - 95 degrees every single day. No walking going on for me at all right now. Take care and hugs.

A bit over 4.5 months post op

@mlwreader - I'm still having issues with downstairs! Mostly I forget to try going foot over foot and start to do my shuffle down before remembering to switch but I'm sooooo slow.

Had family visiting this week so lots of walking and LOTS of lobster. Visitors sometimes go a bit nuts on the bugs when they see they are so cheap here. I've had to get quite creative on how to fix it so we don't get tired of it too.
Guess it's a very "1st world problem" when a 4 year old says "Lobster? AGAIN?"

Lots of walking which has been great. Last Thursday I drove my Aunt to Boston (1.5 hour drive with traffic) and we did most of The Freedom Trail. Almost 6 miles that day. Was sore but it only takes overnight for knees (mostly right one) to recover.

Took the "Cliff Walk" in Newport, RI for the first time this past Saturday. Did pretty good. Walking back went so much faster as we weren't stopping every couple of minutes to take pictures on way back to car. I was sore by the time I got home but, again, by the next morning I was back on track.

7 out of the past 10 days I've made my 10K steps goal, some days a couple of K more than that. I've been breaking the walks up into 3 walks a day but today I did a 2 mile morning walk and it was pretty good. I'm trying to get up the motivation to consistently do a solid 5 mile walk but I'm basically pretty lazy. Plus it's getting a lot warmer and I'm not good at waking up early to start the walks. Plus the mosquitos are vicious.

Right knee is still problem child but I can tell that my extension is slowly improving. I'm probably at -5. Left is pretty much a 0 so happy with that.

I'm not at the point of forgetting about my knees but I don't make my decisions on what to do depending on them. I decide what I want to do and then think how knees might respond. And then go ahead and do it anyway :snork:.

I work remotely and working at my desk is still the worst thing. I look like a little old lady when I first try to stand up and walk. Especially if I've been busy and don't get up and walk the knees every 45 min or so. But it does shake off after a few.

But I can see the end of the rainbow and it's a beautiful sight :wow:

I love reading your updates! You’re doing wonderfully. You’ll soon be working at your desk without any problems and even your problem child knee will settle down and behave.

The heat interferes with my daily walks too. A short walk is better than none, though. :yes: These new knees like to move and get kind of bossy about it. It sounds like yours are enjoying the trails, which sound like amazing good sightseeing!

@SusieShoes - Boston was pretty funny. My aunt (75 years old) and I made it to the Old North Church but didn't feel like walking across bridge to USS Constitution and Boston Tea Party site so we Googled getting back to Boston Common where my car was parked. When we saw it was 1.25 miles we knew it would be difficult to get ride for that short of trip so I said "it's only a bit over a mile, let's just walk it". When did I ever think I would say that ??!!!!!

So we made it back to the underground garage and we had a fit of the giggles. Over who was hurting more. Her with her back or me with my knees. It was silly and wonderful to be laughing over it!!! And then the google maps just didn't make sense to get out of there. Duh! It was because I still had it on walking, not driving. No wonder some of the streets didn't make sense. Or it saying it would take 16 hours to get home......

Last edited:
Well done @SherrieT! Doing amazingly!

Loved the video of you moonwalking although less wine if you are dancing on the tables again, you looked precarious up there!

Boston Tea Party. Tch.......

I'm going to be visiting Boston soon. My son just moved his company's headquarters to the Seaport district and I'll be going to the opening. Lots of walking, I'm sure. I have to show Boston to Mr. Shoes (I spent part of my childhood in the area). Rumor has it there are some great Italian restaurants, and cannoli, to be found in those parts. :wink:

Your knees were up to that walk, I'm quite sure, but your poor aunt! She almost certainly won the who hurting more. I hope she's okay. Your knees will soon be recovering with a few hours of rest instead of overnight.

Your knees were up to that walk, I'm quite sure, but your poor aunt! She almost certainly won the who hurting more. I hope she's okay. Your knees will soon be recovering with a few hours of rest instead of overnight.

Auntie is in better shape then me!! I won the hurting contest.

Sunday was 5 months post op and there hasn't been much change in the knees. I still occasionally need ice and elevation when I do too much or strain something a bit. I've been working on extension so consequently doing more icing.

It's been hard to get my 10K steps in this past week. I've had a cold plus it's been so hot but it's not the heat that bothers me as much as the darn mosquitoes!! They just eat me alive. But I reached 10k this evening and I saw fireflies on our walk. It's the first time I've seen them here and it was very cool. Plus the black raspberry plants in the field are ripening so I had a bit of a snack also :) :-) (:. Only pick the berries from high on the bushes. Too many tall male dogs around :heehee:

You are doing so well, seems years ago you fell over the dog and through the glass!

I always found lower berries had more flavour, guess you just told me why :loll:

5 months, 3 weeks Post op

Yesterday I tested my knees and ability to sit in one position for a longer time again. Took bus again to NYC to see Hello Dolly. It was a success! Sat in aisle seat on bus and was able to stretch my legs when I felt like I needed to. Walking to theatre afterwards felt so good and sitting in the theatre was so mush easier then last time. I did have more leg room in this seat but at least this time when I got up during interval it wasn't to rush out and take pain pill :) :-) (:

@mlwreader I'm pretty sure that, when I'm 10 months post op like you, that I will be at the point where I don't ever think about them. I do still think about them now but do pretty much what I want and deal with knee issues as they come up. I have been practicing sitting on floor and getting up again (sure isn't graceful) as that is what my (now) 5 year old granddaughter judges my recovery on, if I can sit on floor and play with her. She is with rest of family in Tunisia until mid Aug so I still have time to try to perfect my technique. I did kneel on wood floor getting up. It didn't hurt but just felt really weird.

I'm pretty sure that, when I'm 10 months post op like you, that I will be at the point where I don't ever think about them. I do still think about them now but do pretty much what I want and deal with knee issues as they come up.

@SherrieT I still have some discomfort and slight swelling in the right knee. And if I move in certain ways I feel it in both knees. Also I am still working on going upstairs because my right knee just doesn't like it. I am not worried, just thinking both the knees were in pretty bad shape prior to surgery, so taking a long time to recover completely. And I am seeing my OS in September for my one year visit, so I'm sure he'll tell me if something is off. I have fibromyalgia and I think that plays a role in my recovery as well. p.s. I just tried getting down and up off the floor. My knees did not like kneeling at all, but I was able to do it. Keep practicing and you'll be doing cartwheels with your granddaughter when she gets back - lol.

Kneeling still feels weird. I think maybe it always will. As long as I know my implants or natural knee parts aren't being harmed, weird is doable. :sigh: Sounds like you're doing great!

@Josephine - I recently had my knees checked out and x-rays done. I just got the findings on on my right knee it said "Small quadriceps tendon enthesophyte" and on left knee "tiny quadriceps tendon enthesophyte".
I've been looking it up and reading but I still don't have a clear idea of what they are, if they could be contributing to my right knee still being a bother, and if there is anything I can do to get rid of them if they are an issue.

Thank you

An enthesophyte is a small abnormal bony projections at the attachment of a tendon or ligament. In other words, the bone grows up inside the ligament. This was one in my knee back in 2009, indicated by the yellow line

spurs0.jpg

They can contribute to the pain of bone-on-bone arthritis. I know these did for me!

An enthesophyte is a small abnormal bony projections at the attachment of a tendon or ligament. In other words, the bone grows up inside the ligament. This was one in my knee back in 2009, indicated by the yellow line

spurs0.jpg

They can contribute to the pain of bone-on-bone arthritis. I know these did for me!
Did your TKR’s deal with these? My OS, in the report, seemed to only be concerned that prosthesis was working correctly and not any residual issues

Have you talked with your OS? Enthesophytes are something he should be familiar with, and he might also be able to tell you whether present any issues for your TKR recovery. He would also know of any treatment options, if needed. I researched enthesophytes and they’re apparently common in many joints for many reasons; you would need to talk to your surgeon about what they mean in your case.

Is your right knee giving you lots of trouble? Minor pains and “not perfect yet” symptoms can hang on for some time. My left knee — I have no idea what X-rays showed of it other than the prosthesis is apparently lovely — had a painful bursa/tendon thing going on for several months. It could have been anything: bursitis, tendinitis, something else. Whatever it was recently cleared up completely. Nary a whisper of pain. But it sure hung on for a long time. I hope that’s the case with your right knee and it comes around soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back