I think I am off again

Fairydell

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had my right hip replaced in April and have had a terrible time. The surgeon damaged the femoral nerve which left my leg paralysed. It's taken months to even start to feel like normal and I am not there yet. Annoyingly my left hip has been giving me some serious pain. I am hoping that it is just that it has been overworked following the hip op. If it doesn't settle down I will visit my GP to see if there is anything he can do for the pain.. but I have been here before and am hoping that an op isn't going to be necessary. Can I ask @Josephine whether she thinks the pain might just be caused by the extra strain that the hip has had to put up with.

I'm sorry you're now having problems with your other hip, @Fairydell . I hope your GP can suggest something to help.

Josephine is away until at least October 7th, as she is recovering from having one of her knee replacements revised.

:wave: @Fairydell
I certainly think your left hip can feel the effects of all the months of additional work.
Due to no fault of your own, the adjustments you've had to employ can certainly aggravate muscles around that hip.
I just had to do a few days on crutches due to a foot injury and my opposite hip complained.:sad:
Certainly you know that we have alot of members who have had to go on to have their other done.
Have they ever xrayed your other hip?
If not, I think you should know what shape it is in.

How is your right leg doing?
Do you feel it is strengthening with time and are you due for a check on it any time soon?
I can only imagine due to the unfortunate complication of your first surgery, that you would be anxious.
I continue to wish you well...please let us know what you find out.

@Fairydell have your GP refer you for an x-ray of that hip. Can't hurt and at least you will identify any problems early on. I found the second recovery so much easier as I didn't limp around for years.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks everyone. When I had my original x ray I was told that the left hip looked worse than the right one. The right one became very painful very quickly and I have a feeling that the left one is doing the same now. I have an appointment with the surgeon on the 10th and I will ask his opinion

Sorry to hear this @Fairydell
If your left hip looked worse than your right at your original diagnosis it would be easy to assume that it's time for a Left THR. But, you won't know for sure until your OS confirms that. I know someone who went through the exact scenario. OA in both hips, one more bothersome than the other. The one that was in better shape of the two was the most painful, so therefore replaced first with the second five months after the first.
You know we're here for you if / when the time comes. I wish you comfort and luck at your appointment next week. Please stay in touch.

Thinking of you on this day of your Six Month Anniversary.
Wishing you a happy day and complete healing.
Have a nice weekend! :flwrysmile:
@Fairydell

Thanks Layla. I am hoping that it might settle down once the right hip recovers a bit more. I was signed off by the surgeon last week. He was really pleased with how much my poorly leg has improved and told me that a year from now it will have healed as much as it is ever likely to. He can't guarantee a full recovery for it but now I need to work on strengthening the wasted muscle in my leg.

Hello @Fairydell
I'm happy to hear the surgeon is pleased with your progress. I hope you are also. With some luck, more time and work on strengthening you may just exceed his expectations. That's what I'm hoping for. :) How wonderful that would be. Wishing you a beautiful Autumn!

:hi:
Hoping this finds you well.
I wondered if you were engaging in any physical therapy exercises since you were this far out that you found useful for femoral nerve damage?
Your unfortunate experience and what you have found useful might be helpful to someone else on the forum down the line.
Are you still wearing the brace?
Hope you don't mind being nosy...
Wishing you a wonderful weekend :flwrysmile:

Hi @Mojo333 I haven't. been around lately so having a bit of a catch up. Not sure I like the new format but will get used to it.

A little progress update, sorry it is a bit long winded.
I don't use the leg brace anymore and manage with one crutch outdoors. Indoors I don't use crutches at all. The nerve blockers are doing a good job at keeping the pain to a manageable level. I don't want a stronger dose as these pretty much knock me out. I had to reduce the morning dose as I was just so sleepy all the time. I am having a bit of a tough time with nerve pain from my knee to my ankle at the moment but that might be down to the cold weather. I am trying to strengthen the muscles in my leg so that I can climb stairs properly. I can't come down stairs properly yet as my knee just gives way..... I am working on it. The surgeon has signed me off now and I have finished with physio as I feel I can do all the exercises without a long trail over to the hospital. One strange little thing happened... I have developed 'Trigger Finger' in my wedding ring finger. The physio thinks it might be because I am gripping the crutch tightly. I have had to wear a brace on that finger at night time. Hopefully when I no longer need the crutch it will clear up.
Sadly my left hip is really playing up and I plan to keep an eye on it. I won't leave it until I am in constant agony but I am really reluctant to think about surgery after this horrible experience.., It may settle down again, time will tell.
Hope all my fellow hippies are getting their lives back

:) :-) (:Thanks for popping in...I really have wondered how you have been.
I had some consternation with the forum changes...but I'm liking it very well now that I'm getting used to it.

I shouldn't wonder that these many months of using the cane might cause your hand grief...just what you DON'T need.:sad:

I'm glad you are continuing to work on things on your own and are now having to contemplate more surgery must be daunting.
I want things to keep getting better for you and if that other hip has got to go, you know we will be here to support you.
Have a sweet Sunday, friend.

Sorry you are having trouble with your other hip @ Fairydell
You have had a tough year & could do with a break... at least have an x-ray and you will know what you are dealing with... once those hips start going it is so painful & restricts mobility so much... do hope you get some relief.
love Chrissie xx❤️

Hey there, over yonder :wave:
I'm happy to read of the progress mentioned above. I'm sorry you continue to deal with issues and discomfort. Thankfully your pain is manageable, we can only pray that the nerves will regenerate and be restored with the passage of time and that your other hip has more mileage to offer.
Trigger finger now, poor dear, Fairydell. Hopefully once the strain from the crutch is reduced it resolves quickly.
A great week to you!
@Fairydell

:wave:@Fairydell
Just wondering how you were and wanted to pop by to say I am thinking of you. :friends:

Hi @Fairydell
I just saw a beautiful pair of knitted socks and instantly thought of you.
Wondering if you are still making these beautiful creations of yours?
Hoping lefty is not causing you alot of pain and if you are still considering surgery?

Big holiday hugs, my friend.:presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

Just saw you here and thought I would check in. How are you? @Fairydell

Hope your hand has improved and that your non operated hip has settled a bit. Wishing you and yours a peaceful holiday season.

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

Hello all my lovely hippy buddies. I hope you are all fit and well. I don't really have much progress to report but am limping along nicely. I so hoped that my leg would be back to normal by now but sadly it isn't. The trigger finger isn't too much of a problem since I bought a finger brace from ebay… I had splinted it with a barbecue skewer,wadding and some tape until the brace arrived..... well a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do :) My operated hip is absolutely fine although the leftie has a few grumbling moments. I am keeping an eye on it.

Can I wish you all a very merry Christmas and if you don't celebrate Christmas then a peaceful and kind New Year. I will pop back from time to time and see how you are all doing. Thank you all for the support and kind words on my hippy journey.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom