THR I made it!!!

llurbs

Country
United States United States
I’m out and doing really well!! I can’t believe how well I’m walking. I had a spinal so pain is at a minimum right now. Also pain meds. A little nervous about how I will feel when spinal wears off but that’s out of my hands. My surgery was smooth has silk. I don’t remember a thing. Couldn’t believe it was over when I woke up! 59 minutes total. Spending night in hospital tonight.

Hey hey!! Yes, you made it! It's so amazing just how smoothly and quickly surgery day can go.. both of m ine were strangely comforting. Boy did I need it to be that way!

Please get that icing started, even before any discomfort hits,, it is so helpful...

I am going to leave you the recovery articles.. there's some very helpful things to take to heart in them. :) :-) (:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

There you go, just read through them when you can.. wishing you a restful, uneventful night.

Well done L , 59 minutes wow ! Surgeon must have had a hot date post surgery! Take things easy , well come on you’ve no options really .At 48 ( that’s unlucky) you’re recovery will be quicker ,take it hour by hour first couple of days , then day by day etc and you will be fine.
Wishing you the best of luck , post on Bonesmart and take the teams brilliant advice ( I,m about to mither them again ) and you won’t go far wrong, and it helps you and others .
Good luck

well done, so glad it’s done for you. My surgery was quick too, it’s amazing what they can do isn’t i.

Take care and keep in touch.

Glad you are on the Recovery side....:happydance:
All Temporary was my mantra for recovery.
Relax and Heal was the best advice I got.

Welcome to the recovery side..get some rest! Glad all went well!

Welcome to recovery and congrats on your new hip!
I hope today is a good one. :SUNsmile: Please keep us posted, we’d love to support you as you’re healing.
@llurbs

Glad you are on the Recovery side....:happydance:
All Temporary was my mantra for recovery.
Relax and Heal was the best advice I got.
Mojo, I remembered reading this from before so I have been saying it too!!
****UPDATE****
Last night was a little rough. My BP dropped really low (I run low to begin with) so they didn’t want me standing up to pee for fear of passing out. Tried bed pan, that would be a no go! I was having trouble peeing to begin with( because of spinal your parts have a hard time remembering what to do. Didn’t know this! Will never take peeing for granted again) They did an ultrasound on my bladder and I was FULL. They told me if I didn’t pee I was going to need a catheter., NOOOOO.. Last time I had one I got a terrible infection. So they decided to push fluids fast to bring up my BP. Got it up high enough to go to bathroom and I peed like a big girl. Almost. Took a lot of time and telling my body it was safe and it knew what to do. Also I had ironically saw a TikTok a while back on how to empty your bladder which helped. BP was really low after second check so more fluids ( more trying to pee) So not much sleep but I have all the time at home to do that. Spinal is wearing off and definitely feeling more pain but bearable. Icing and meds. PT this morning then hopefully home! I had the option of going home yesterday but really glad I stayed. Thanks for the well wishes everyone!!

You got this, you’ll get through the little stuff!

Hi @llurbs :wave:
I hope you are home where you Really can get more comfy and settle in.
Tried bed pan, that would be a no go!
I hear this often, and as a bilateral cannot imagine trying to get on a bedpan after hip surgery.:unsure:
I hope your BP is levelled off.
You might see a few fluctuatuations in the days to come so when you rise to go to the bathroom, since you will try to stay hydrated, gie yourself a minute or so for BP to stabilize before starting off.
(From experience)

Also I had ironically saw a TikTok a while back on how to empty your bladder which helped.
:) :-) (: Hey, there you go. Providence.

I also have low blood pressure and also low iron so I always pause a second or two when I first stand up!!

It feels so good to get home into a familiar world, hope you make it today

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom