THR I made it!

Hello :wave:
I'm sorry for the RA diagnosis, hopefully you can keep it well managed.
Then... stomach upset to top it off, you poor dear. :console2:
Wishing you comfort and hope you're feeling better by the end of the weekend.
@Evi

Yes, now it's time to exercise your patience muscle. I'm so happy to read your update and that you are doing better! Pretty amazing, isn't it?

Welcome.8 days post-op and you seem to be doing so nicely. Sorry about the RA diagnosis but I am sure you will be well monitored and things will get under control. You said the anemia was being treated with iron pills so you must be feeling better--a little more energy? I use an iron frying pan so I can get some iron there.Continued pain-free recovery.

I’m 3 weeks post op today and feel really good! My surgeon did the anterior approach with minimal invasion. So my recovery has been great and my pain in non existent.
I can technically stop using the crutch this week, but it’s an absolute mental game and I don’t know how to over come this.
I spent a good 2 years feeling the pain, now it’s gone but I’m scared to walk unassisted. I think I’m worried I’ll damage my prosthetic.

Any advise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @321Evie
You're doing great! Thanks for the update. You won't damage the prosthetic without the crutch, but until you're feeling more confident, continue using it if it makes you feel more secure. You'll know it's time to ditch it when you catch yourself walking away from it often.
Stay in touch and have a wonderful week!

Hi @321Evie :wave:
So glad the first weeks have gone well and I agree with Layla that you will drop the cane when some strength and confidence returns.

I wasn't sure that my newly operated hips would like my full weight bearing and I was also anxious about "messing something up"
I began to do some kitchen counter-back of the sofa cruising and was so surprised and happy at how strong my hips were. My quads were super sore but hips...Great.
Taking some small walks without cane with close by support will help you get your confidence back.
Still early days so you are not behind the curve.:yes:
You are on your way to healthy and happy.

Hi everyone, apologies I can’t find my thread anymore. I had a THR on September 9 and another post op yesterday. I mentioned the bit of pain I have when my leg is extended or when I lift it getting into the car. He said it could be the tendon and I could have a cortisone injection in a few months if it hasn’t gone away. I don’t want to go down that path again so I went to get some acupuncture for pain relief and she wouldn’t touch it. Wanted me to go get an MRI and thinks it’s my labrum which was shot to begin with. I assumed my surgeon would have removed or repaired this as it was in such bad shape anyway? Surely it’s not left in there? I hate when the medical professions contradict one another!
Also I’m wondering if it’s also fatigue because the Physio has been solely focusing on that area with the exercises they have me doing. I had to tell them to lay off and mix it up.
Anyway, I’m really confused and annoyed!
thoughts?

Hi @321Evie
It's nice to hear from you. I'm sorry it's under the circumstances you're struggling with.

Your post above will be added to your original thread.
Following is a link to advise you on how to locate your thread going forward ~

Before you consider any other options, I'd advise you stop all physio for several weeks, at least three to four, and see if you gradually notice improvement, or your issue completely resolves. Engage in walking as your only form of exercise. If there's no improvement I'd make another appt with the OS and go from there.

Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. We're here for you.
I hope you have a nice week and find relief soon. :)

Thank you @Layla!

I'm taking a break from the Physio regardless thanks to the Christmas holidays. It's hot here in Australia so I will be in the pool as well!

@321Evie, it's three months into your surgery ... still early ... not unusual to have all kinds of sudden aches and soreness ... Definitely back off the PT.

Have you been icing the sore spot? You describe "a bit" of pain. Usually the more serious problems bring a lot of pain. You have soft tissue that is still recovering--that's the case for all approaches. And it's very easy to overwork some of that still-healing tissue in the first three months. In fact, a typical pattern is that we get better ... then sorta celebrate the new strength and then to do too much ... and suffer a setback. I had multiple moments--many moments!--like that in recovery. It's sorta unavoidable.

Last edited:
I'm still experiencing pain when lifting my leg. Stairs are no fun. I'm unable to lift my leg while lying down or extend it in anyway. I have backed off from everything except walking. Is there anything that helps a tight posas tendon/muscle other than getting cortisone injections for the rest of my life?

:hi: @321Evie
I am sorry that things haven't improved and that you are still struggling.
Please, if you haven't already, check out these articles in our library.
They do describe stretches and more conservative treatment along with a case study where a patient went on to have an arthroscopic procedure.

I don't know if you have been back to exercising but it seems you mentioned at some point that tendonitis may be suspected and that can often take several months to resolve especially if not rested properly.
There is also a cute, but very informative video that describes this.

Hi @321Evie … I agree with Mojo that once you get tendonitis it can linger and the only real remedy is time and attention to that weak part. I had that problem with my first THR and it took several months to get better. In the meantime, I did lots of upper body workouts and simple walking and gentle stretches. It takes time, but will get better. After you are recovered, you will still need to baby it for a while...HTH

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom