THR I just turned 30...facing possible THR and pretty nervous.

Hi skywalker sorry of the everything that has happened to you love I sympathize with you I'm going through the same thing .I cancel my surgery September 18th due to fear of the unknown.I'm also young and the doctor told me that I have bone on bone and ortho arthritis and of many years of ballet dancing as well. I had a an accident on July 2017 a spinning class and right now I have a cortisone shot scheduled for Oct.24. I have heard that it will only delayed you for really being totally pain free which is having surgery. Also,I heard that the only little cartilage I have left if any it will destroyed it. Im rethinking my surgery with another surgeon. Also, Im wondering what hip implant is best and last longer since we are young. I heard metal on metal is not so good. I am not educate enough but heard that Smith and Nephew is a good hip implant for us it will last 30 or more years. I wish you the best and lets encourage one another. Im here for you. Blessings, Gretelin.

Hi Skywalker,
Sugarplum was able to return to doing the splints after her THR's
Here is a link to photos of her doing the splits.

Most likely the restrictions will be lifted as you heal and your joint stabilizes.

Wow, thank you Ptarmigan! Thats really helpful! My GP didn’t discuss much pain management since I can’t take any NSAIDs, and she might want me to just speak with the surgeon. For now its just Tylenol, which doesn’t do that much.

I am so used to living life liek this that I forget about caring for the hip I still have. I know I should probably be really careful, but do you have any practical advice in that way? Like should I be more radically reducing how much activity I am doing? I tend to push myself rather than hold back... so I appreciate the advice.

Yeah, It has been cool to read a lot of the threads on this forum and its nice to see other people’s stories. I am surprised by how positive everyone seems to be about their experience and it makes me less wary for when/if the surgeon says the words “Full hip Replacement”.
I can take Celebrex until one week before my surgery. And Tylenol until the night before. In fact, surgeon says he will have me restart Celebrex right after the surgery, for blood thinning.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi,Skywalker
have you picked a day yet. i didnt get shot if cortisone, the surgeon stated it was really bad and it will put me back. i found a surgeon and he will do the surgery for November. Dont be afraid.

I am a little older - 38. I am having a bilateral hip replacement (anterior) on 11/11. I completely understand your pain and your point of view. Get the hip fixed. Everyone I have talked to who has actually had a replacement says they would do it again in a heartbeat. They have their life back. Good luck!

Are these medical people that are telling you this?? I very much doubt it. Ask your surgeon about that but I don’t believe that ... I’ve had 2 hip replacements in the space of a year, tbh I had no choice life is for living x.
There are articles on here showing how one joint could potentially last 40 years so why struggle you wanna enjoy your kids x. It’s not easy during the recovery but by the sounds of it, it might be easier than what you’re going through now.

Midouri you are absolutely right. Thats why I cant wait to have my Hip surgery. Before I was scare but now I have no fear and just waiting and counting down. In less than 48 hrs I will be pain free, just dealing with the surgical pain. This is an amaxing site. I hope and pray all do well on their surgeries.

@Gretelin The other side is the recovery side of the forum. If you look at the hip forum it shows you 2 options, pre op and recovery. As soon as you have your surgery you will make yourself a recovery thread on the Recovery side and do all of your updates on that. Good luck!

Sorry @Skywalker didn't want to hijack your thread but figured you may be interested about the recovery side of the forum, also. Hope you are doing well.

hows Skywalker did she do her surgery??

We have no way of knowing but she mentioned she had some "hoops" she had to jump through. She would have a recovery thread if she came back on the forum after surgery, so maybe she will be back.

Hello everyone!
Rereading all these posts has been so sweet. It’s been a long road for this hip.
I got a cortisone injection a couples months ago, did physical therapy, and all sorts of other things that could help. Now it’s finally time for surgery.
I am getting a reconstruction done on the joint. Because of the bone deformities that cause all the larval tearing and arthritis, they will start by shaving bones both on femur and pelvis to prevent from further damage. Then, because my labrum is all but destroyed, Dr Gregush is going to reconstruct one from cadaver tissue. It will be an 8 hour surgery, an over night stay at evergreen hospital, and a very long recovery. I’m pretty nervous and also excited!

Surgery date is July 13th 2020

I would love advice on the following things from you amazing hip veterans!

a) what items should I really invest in for recovery period
B) has anyone else done the hip reconstruction before? Advice?
C) what is the pain like after a big hip procedure like this?
D) I have one month to prepare. What should I be planning? I have three little children, and it’s still lock down here in seattle. Advice for how to manage this??
E) is it normal to be so scared?? I am really struggling processing this big surgery

hows Skywalker did she do her surgery??

We have no way of knowing but she mentioned she had some "hoops" she had to jump through. She would have a recovery thread if she came back on the forum after surgery, so maybe she will be back.

yes.... lots of hoops to jump through. I’m on the other side now!!

@Skywalker
Glad to hear you finally have a surgery date for July 13th.
I have added your surgery date to your signature, please let us know which hip you are having done so a moderator can add it to your signature. Thanks!

Pain varies for each individual, your surgeon will be giving you adequate pain medication for the early days. You may want to ask about pain medication as you are having an extensive surgery.
For child care you may be able to go to a child care for the children of essential workers, hopefully by July this will not be a concern.
It is normal to be scared going into this surgery, I know I was very nervous and scared prior to both of my joint replacements.

Here are some links that may help answer your questions and concerns.
If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

I am a little older - 38. I am having a bilateral hip replacement (anterior) on 11/11. I completely understand your pain and your point of view. Get the hip fixed. Everyone I have talked to who has actually had a replacement says they would do it again in a heartbeat. They have their life back. Good luck!
Wow! How did your bilateral go? Do you have a recovery thread? I cant believe it has been so long since I posted this thread and I am only just getting my surgery!

:hi:
Hopefully brookeo will pop in but here is her recovery thread.

She did extremely well and may be on with her life, hip pain free.
:happydance:

Hello @Skywalker
Oh...those cute precious little babies all hugging. So very sweet! :loveshwr:
Wishing you all the best with your surgery on Monday! Will look forward to following you on the healing side once you’re up to posting.
I hope you have a peaceful weekend.

Joining in wishing a very successful surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. Hope to see you on the shiny side (recovery) when you are able. Lots of wonderful people going through the same thing and I always found it helpful to read their feelings and recoveries when I was going through my own and even now.

Hi @Skywalker,

I am in awe of your perseverance through your one year journey!

I feel that your perseverance (or what I call grit) will serve you well during your recovery!

Sending you comfort and healing thoughts as you have your reconstructive surgery with Dr. Gregush on July 13, 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom