THR I just turned 30...facing possible THR and pretty nervous.

Myths die hard
Look at the signatures of some of the members and staff here and count the replaced items
Some need more fingers than there are on one hand.
Your family cares for you and love you so hopefully you can just thank them
for their concerns
and replace whatever needs it be it one four or six

you can only have a maximum of two joint replacements in your life.

They're all just plain wrong! We only have 2 hips, so yes technically you will only get two 'primary' replacements... But there is always the possibility of revisions later. Ignore people who haven't had or performed a THR. They will make you crazy.

Your post made me cry remembering my limitations and increasing disability before my THR. You're too young to have such a limited painful life! You sound like a caring attentive mom. Your children will benefit immensely when you're free from pain.

Do it for them. Do it for you. Just do it. :angel:

Thank you so much, @Calgal —and everyone else! It really helps to hear this. I like basing my opinion on people who have actually been through it rather from those who are going off of hear-say. I had my husband read through the thread and he was so encouraged as well. This is just sooo helpful!

I am going to call the surgeons office and ask for an update on how long I need to wait, because the pain just gets worse every day! If I need to, I might ask my GP to schedule me with a different doctor. She was going to send me to a different surgeon, but thought we should try the one who did my hip repair 8 years ago. Perhaps I should rethink her first option!

Hi @Skywalker i can’t say if the two hips limit is true or not, but even if it is, with the latest implants predicted to last 20, 30 or more years, and with the pace of medical scientific advancement as it is,(who knows what medicine will be available in 40 years time?) I wouldn’t worry about getting it done now. How long will you put up with intolerable pain you are now in when you need to be fit for you and your young family. If, when you are 70 or 80 and the surgeon says ‘sorry, but you’ve had your quota!’ then you may reflect and regret the decisions you made when you were 30 - but I rather doubt it as you’ll have had 40+ years pain free.
I got many comments (even at 50+) from friends about being too young for a hip replacement. I had 2 stock answers..
1. It wasn’t a lifestyle choice
2. :censored: happens!
At 13 weeks out I am virtually pain free, doing almost everything I normally would do and haven’t regretted it for a single minute. Go for it!

@Skywalker
That’s a question for a surgeon to answer! And the only way it could possibly be relevant to you is (1) if you were seeking the advice of a surgeon about a revision surgery and (2) you had already had 2 hip replacements (on the same hip) and you needed a third for some reason. Then, and only then, with your medical history, tests, and images available for review, and a qualified revision surgeon at hand, would it be necessary or advisable to ask the question. Let me emphasize - this is something that might never happen! No one can predict the future.

With that said, my uncle had both his hips replaced THREE TIMES. Yes - that’s a total of six hip replacements! So I can say for sure it’s not true. He also had two shoulder replacements, a tummy tuck, and a facelift- but who’s counting :heehee:.

I am sure your family members love you and want the very best for you, so this is a tough situation for all of you. Maybe you can keep your plans a little closer to the vest until you’ve interviewed a few surgeons, found one you and your GP have confidence in, and have come up with a solid plan based on test results and qualified medical advice. That way, you’ll be in a position to reassure them about their worries and/or concerns after you’ve at least had a chance to educate yourself first.

Please let us know how it goes with you!

@Skywalker Bless your heart, yes, talk to your family Dr. and see what your options are. I found that after I set my mind to fixing the problem that I became very serious about interviewing surgeons and getting things started. I'm so pleased that we were able to help you with some of your anxieties and set some of the inaccurate information straight.
If I only had a dollar for every single person who suggested stretching.. hahaha I'd have a nice little piggy bank full!
It's so good to have you on the forum, stick with us, we are pretty good at giving support. :flwrysmile:

@Skywalker I'm 61yrs and 4 weeks into recovery with my second hip. Two aftermarket parts that I am so grateful for. I went to drop off paperwork at my employment and was talking to coworker. She said "Oh you poor thing, both hips". I just smiled and told her "it's better than a wheelchair". You are too young NOT to have it. Your body will recovery more quickly than mine is because of your young age. @Ptarmigan said it best, keep it close to your vest. You can't get where you want to go by following one that hasn't been there. Stay strong, take care.

I was told by several people that you can only have a maximum of two joint replacements in your life.
Totally not true! What are they basing this on? We have many members here who have had multiple joints replaced.

I hear back from the Surgeons office today! When I called them yesterday they said they were looking at my case and deciding if they could take my insurance and said I should hear by the end of the day today! Here is hoping!!!

:fingersx::fingersx: double fingers crossed for an early date.
BEAUTIFUL babes, by the way.:roseshwr:

Hello and Happy Friday!
Prayers the timing works out perfectly. Please let us know.
Precious kiddos you have there.
A great weekend to you!
@Skywalker

Hi @Skywalker
Happy Friday and I’m hoping you have heard something positive back from your surgeons office by now! :flwrysmile:

Thanks so much everyone! I heard back and I FINALLY have an appointment for next Friday with Dr. Ronald Gregush!! Woohooo!! Just one more week and I will have some forward motion! Thanks for waiting with me, everyone!

16A890DD-D937-4770-8C27-2DF564890F37.jpeg
E548463D-B911-41EC-8559-7FA06D5C7381.jpeg
(And thank you!! Yes, I love my babies!)

Wonderful news!! That’s great and hopefully things start moving in the direction of surgery soon.
Bless your heart, your children are adorable! That’s a good stage. And will be even better when you’re all fixed up!

They are Adorable!!!!
Mom is going to get pain free and back to life.

Thank you @CricketHip and @Mojo333 !!! I just want you two to know, I spent the afternoon reading through your post Op Threads and I just feel so much joy for you both and a lot of—(what my husband and I have come to call)—Nostalgic/nausea—in that it is just so moving to watch your stories unfold! Others have been where I am and are living a better life, even though it took pain, patience and perseverance! I am 30, young and only looking at one hip whereas you guys have been through harder trials, and I feel like this could be a piece of cake!

Praying for patience while I wait to see the surgeon on Friday, but I already feel so much happier and find myself just enjoying time with my kids! Thanks everyone!

So glad to read that you feel “lighter” now that you know you have one concrete step forward in place.

Your children are so filled with life! And it’s wonderful to hear you have enough peace of mind to relax and be present in the moment with them, and enjoy the gift of being their mom.

You are your husband are doing so well. It’s not for the faint of heart - looking this diagnosis straight on, coming to grips with the treatment and the recovery, making peace with the uncertainties and risks. And look how brave you both are!

Eager to hear how your appointment goes...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie