THR I Have a Winner.

Ps — after meeting with the pt he sent me a booklet of exercises to do after surgery that is 24 pages. It seems excessive. Should I disregard the exercises. I have three virtual pt sessions scheduled already for after surgery.

I wouldn't worry too much about the exercise booklet @Mersada, hips are very happy with just walking. As far as the pain goes I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm a giant wimp when it comes to pain, and my hip recovery wasn't bad at all. Ice is your best friend. Just stick to the recommended schedule for pain meds and if you still have pain don't be afraid to contact the OS. With my ankle I had to ask for something stronger which was granted without question. The med prescribed for my hip worked just fine. You got this girl! :thumb:

@Mersada i can clearly remember being in your shoes before surgery and fearing the unknown especially the pain. In hindsight it probably was better that I expected the worst and prayed for the best because it turned out to not be as bad as I imagined. My sister said it best when giving me a pre-op pep talk, she reminded me that I had 2 c-sections and recovered fine and that this time I could “take pain meds and focus on healing rather than spending sleepless nights caring for a crying newborn and breastfeeding!”
as for the PT exercise booklet, mine is still gathering dust. I’m at 19 days post-op and am focusing on walking, heel slides and quad tightening. My OS doesn’t recommend outpatient PT until after the next follow up which for me will be at 7 weeks

Write your questions down and have them in front of you, so you don't forget.

I can't express how much this helped me during my consultations with my Docs. They would say something or give an answer that caught me off guard and everything else flitted right out of my brain. I would never have remembered the rest of my questions if they weren't on paper in front of me.

Thinking of you today. Only one week to go and you’ll finally be on the bright side. :SUNsmile:
All the pre-op planning and anxiety will be behind you and you’ll be on your way to living in freedom from the pain you’ve dealt with for so long. :happydance: Stop by anytime you’re feeling you need a boost this week, we’ll be here.
@Mersada

Thank you for thinking of me. This is my last weekend I can do what I need to do. You always look at the bright side. I need to think more like that. I am stuck on worrying about the pain and precautions.
I go for my covid test on Monday have my virtual visit right after with my surgeon. It will probably be in my car since I will be at their Jersey location at that time. Then it’s waiting till Friday. I am taking Thursday off as a mental preparation for Friday.
Again thanks for thinking of me. I think I’m sort out f ready to get this over with.

@Mersada I’m just a few days behind you on the 20th. Good luck. It’s going to be GREAT to be out of pain!
Thank you and good luck. I’ll be looking out for your recovery thread. We can compare notes. Wishing both of us an easy and speedy recovery♥️

You cannot find a surgeon with NO negative reviews. Look hard enough, you'll find one. I actually found some negative views of my surgeon. But frankly, I let that rattle me unnecessarily, because again, there is no perfect human being out there.

And frankly as well, I was prone to fear and I was LOOKING for negative reviews.

You can chill. Also remember that sometimes the patient simply doesn't like the doctor's personality.

@Mersada, gentle suggestion: time to stop looking for reviews. Said with no judgment as I'm like you. But reviews aren't the way to settle the nerves at this point. Positive ones won't reassure you. Negative ones only terrify you, any negative one is going to jump out at you. You are going to an excellent surgeon at a premier (perhaps the premier) orthopedic institution in the country.

You've done your due diligence. You didn't rush into this. You'll be good! Time to let go. And I know that's scary.

Last edited:
Try not to worry about the pain. I sincerely think many times most anticipate it being worse than it actually is. The meds are pretty effective in keeping you comfortably mobile.

You’re so well prepared and you know we’ll be here. I hope you take comfort in that. I sure did, I loved my surgery buds and BS members who supported me in the early days. Nothing like communicating with those who truly understand through experience. You pretty much know someone is always around here to offer support or give advice on what’s worked for them.

I know you have the assistive devices you’ll need, easy meals in the fridge / freezer, family checking in on you and the meds to keep you comfortable. The tv, internet and magazines or a good book will probably be your only entertainment very early on, that’s in between snoozing, if you’re a napper. I’m not, but was hoping THR would turn me into one for a few weeks at least...no such luck! This will be life changing, Mersada...for the better!

Wishing you perfect peace of mind and minimal discomfort as you wait.
@Mersada

Thank you for your input . I chatted with a lady from FB who had surgery with my surgeon and has nothing but praise for him. She made me feel good about choosing him.

I had 400 worth of groceries delivered today and putting them away was an ordeal. I'm exhausted from just that. Shop rite missed quite a few items off my list but charged me for them. So, they will deliver tomorrow. Hope it all lasts a while. Trying to put things away so I can reach if not use a grabber.

I got my hair done today I'm happy with it. I had two sets of keys made for my niece who will be looking in on my dogs while I'm in the hospital and my sister who will be looking in on me lol. I thought I would have the energy to clean up a bit but I don't. The arthritis tires me out.

Tomorrow I will try to enjoy the day off. Perhaps do some cleaning and rearrange things so I can move about with the walker.

I just looked and I joined this forum in 2018 and I'm having my surgery in a few days. What a long wait lol. I appreciate everyone here. You all helped me prepare in more ways than one. Thank you.

PS yes, I am definitely a napper. I hope I am comfortable enough pain wise to nap.

I chatted with a lady from FB who had surgery with my surgeon and has nothing but praise for him. She made me feel good about choosing him.
Good! I’m happy to hear this put your mind at ease. I trust you’ll be in competent hands.
I got my hair done today I'm happy with it
This is good too! After only 5 days I was tired of my bed head reflection in the mirror after clunking down the hallway with the walker (despised that thing) into the bathroom and catching a glimpse of myself. I started styling my hair and applying minimal make-up at 5-6 days post op. It may sound silly and I wasn’t going anywhere, but I looked better which actually made me feel better.
The arthritis tires me out.
Pain is draining! That nasty OA pain will soon be gone, replaced by a more bearable healing pain. At least that’s how I felt.
Perhaps do some cleaning and rearrange things so I can move about with the walker.
I‘m sure you already know this...temporarily roll up any rugs that you feel may be a tripping hazard.
I just looked and I joined this forum in 2018
You've learned a lot during that time and I believe it will work for your benefit.
PS yes, I am definitely a napper.
I’m jealous! :wink: I wish I was a napper.

I had my last appointments with the hospital for covid test and a virtual appointment with my surgeon.

He listed these procedures in my file online:
Tenotomy, abductor hip -- thats the incision he will do between my thigh and groin.
Replacement of total hip computer assisted navigation
and Zimmer Trilogy/versys -- I just looked up the Zimmer implant and there are recalls on it....should I be concerned?

I just looked up the Zimmer implant and there are recalls on it
This was years ago. Zimmer has been around a very long time. Please don't worry. You surgeon would not go near anything that had been recalled.

BTW - my left implant is a Zimmer.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom