THR I Have a Winner.

:hi: Sounds like you've got things pretty much lined up.
Don't think the shower chair will be too difficult for you... You seen like a determined sort of woman.:) :-) (:
My husband picked me up in a tall pickup which made me nervous..but my upper body strength along with the pull bar and a bit if help got me up and going.
Getting in and out of my low sedan for post op appointment seemed harder to me.
The grabbers were a great help however frustrating sometimes for small objects like my pen.:heehee:
You know you have a ready made cheering squad in the wings and the wait is the worst.
Hope your weekend is relaxing and sweet.

Hi! Seems like you’ve gotten some great advice! I am 8 weeks out from my first hip replacement and have the second scheduled May 17th! You’ll do great! I had a lot of anxiety before surgery (especially never having surgery before), I found a great meditation app and they had one that was to help prepare for surgery, it was really helpful when I was getting anxious (if you’re in to that sort of thing :) :-) (:). It is a big recovery, but I am so glad I had it done and now starting to get ready for my second one! So crazy!!!

Best of luck and it will be great!

I had my Hospital For Special surgery Total Hip webinar, today. It was an hour and a long. The nurse who gave the presentation was very thorough. A lot of what she said, I already learned from here. The one thing I did take away from it was to get up and walk every hour while recovering..I had thought laying back and elevated was what we mostly did...apparently not. She gave the advise to ice, as well...but, she said 20 minutes but, she said there was no maximum time limit.

I learned they require you be dropped off 3 hours prior to surgery and no one can stay with you. That's gonna be a bummer...no moral support.
Also, you can only have one designated visitor for the whole time you are in the hospital and you can't change people. Strict covid guidelines. Looks like I will be alone for most of my stay, as the hospital is about an hour away. Oh well.

I do my pre op tests and pt webinar on Wednesday. From what I understand we can do pt by web instead of in person if we choose to because of covid. I don't know what I am going to do yet.

@Mersada Yes it is a nuisance to not be allowed a support person to be with you. However you will not be alone! You will have nurses, anesthesiologist, your surgeon, etc around you for the pre-op, during op, and post-op times. Pre-op they will keep you busy with all the getting prepped details. During op you'll be sleeping peacefully. Post-op you'll have nurses at your beck and call plus your surgeon will probably come by to check on you. And given the short stays most places are doing because of COVID you'll most likely go home fairly quickly.

If your experience is anything like mine you'll be glad to go home for some peace and quiet.

@djklaugh. You have some good points. It probably will go fast. Surgeon said 2 nights. I just want to make sure I’m stable enough to walk on my own and my pain is well managed. She said they aim for 5 on pain threshold. I did not like that to much I feel it should be lower. We will see I guess.

Walking regularly is a good idea but don't feel like you need to push it. You can count trips to the bathroom or to make yourself a snack or drink. Just a short trip to get moving.
She gave the advise to ice, as well...but, she said 20 minutes but, she said there was no maximum time limit.
20 minutes is advised for injury. But when recovering from surgery at least 45-60 minutes works better. You are trying to control both the internal and external swelling that causes post op pain.

:hi: Hey, hey Happy Tuesday! It’s good to read you liked your HSS webinar.
I did a little research on that very topic of icing awhile back because there are different thoughts on the subject. This is what I found -

Icing for up to twenty minutes only is what most of us have heard or been advised to do following an injury. Following joint replacement, ice is a critical part of pain management and should be used not only on the joint, but any surrounding areas of discomfort for as often and as long as you're comfortable doing so. Icing helps bring relief from the soft tissue trauma and internal swelling. Icing is a great natural pain reliever and best of all, it's free. While some care providers do put a maximum time on icing, others suggest you ice as often as you see fit.

Icing after therapy, exercises, or prolonged activity that challenge ROM and endurance should help ease any discomfort, or preventively keep pain at bay. You may find relief through icing for weeks to months post op.

With that said, I was a huge fan of icing. I iced any time I was sitting, or laying down. I fell asleep with an ice pack and replaced it with a fresh one during the middle of the night trip to the bathroom. :ice:

I learned they require you be dropped off 3 hours prior to surgery and no one can stay with you. That's gonna be a bummer...no moral support.

I‘m guessing the normally attentive nurses take this into consideration given the Covid restrictions. I found the nurses I dealt with the morning of my surgery to be very caring and conscientious. They sprinkle is some humor to keep it light and hone in on your comfort level. If you’re anxious, tell them right away and they will give you something that takes the edge off.

Many of us will be with you in thought on that morning, I know you’ll be on my mind and in my prayers after following you all this time.
You’re going to do great, Mersada!

I thought I would jump in and add that I took a book with me and it was very helpful. I wasn’t allowed any visitors either. I arrived three hours early only to learn that my surgeon was running late. I could hear the woman ahead of me next door going bonkers with nerves and boredom, calling everyone she knew. It was nice to take my mind off what was ahead. The book proved helpful when the overworked staff was helping others post-surgery since my room did not have a tv and my family was growing weary of the photos of my room and bandage. :)

I do not understand why doctors don’t send you to rehab. I am having hip replacement in May, am 81, live alone, have no one to help and have urinary problems and am up every 2 hrs. at night. I told my doctor I would not have the surgery unless he sends me to rehab. I don’t understand - Insurance pays for rehab, so why not? I feel I would be okay during the day but am very afraid of being alone at night.

Thanks for the input everyone, very helpful. I appreciate your insight and tips.

Tomorrow is Blood work, x-rays a speech about nicotine (I was a smoker when I started with this surgeon, I have since quit in October) but, they are making me do the nicotine orientation, anyway. I also have to come home and then have the physical therapy webinar at 4 pm. Everyday gets closer and becoming real. I am almost ready to get it over with.

I do not understand why doctors don’t send you to rehab. I am having hip replacement in May, am 81, live alone, have no one to help and have urinary problems and am up every 2 hrs. at night. I told my doctor I would not have the surgery unless he sends me to rehab. I don’t understand - Insurance pays for rehab, so why not? I feel I would be okay during the day but am very afraid of being alone at night.
[/QUOTE

You should demand they send you to rehab or change surgeons till you find one that does. Some surgeons do sent people to rehabs or rehabs wouldn't exist. What state are you in @Dulcinea14 ??
I would call around and ask if the surgeon usually recommends rehab before I even make a consultation appointment.

@Mersada and @Dulcinea14 Alas it may not be the surgeon who has the say in the issue of rehab. While Medicare and other insurances say they cover rehab they all have protocols for when they will authorize a rehab stay. Back in 2011 when I had my bilateral hip replacements I asked about rehab - I was 64 and had excellent insurance. Insurance said I was not sick enough have 2 hips replaced at once to warrant rehab. Certainly ask your surgeon Dulcinear and/or the business manager/office manager (or who ever in his office handles insurance matter) and see if they can plead your case with Medicare and who ever else needs to be involved in the decision.

I was a smoker when I started with this surgeon, I have since quit in October
Quitting smoking is a huge achievement @Mersada! :yay: My father was a recovered alcoholic and a long term smoker. He said giving up alcohol was a walk in the park compared to giving up nicotine. Hip recovery will be a walk in the park for you, you already know how to tackle tough challenges!

Quitting smoking is a huge achievement

I stopped smoking and started with the electronic cigarettes....I did the electronic for about 2 months. Fear of what was in them was enough to quit, but it was an easy transition from cigarettes to fuming. Quitting the fume was easier than the cigarette. I still miss it, but I know I'm better off without it, plus healing will be easier.

I just had my pt webinar and did my medical assessment this morning.
I opted for virtual pt after surgery--this will be better considering I have little dogs who get to exited when someone comes over. The PT gave me all the aid suggestions I already learned about from this forum. I feel prepared for the most part thanks to bonesmarties.

The only thing I have left to do is the covid test on the 12th the week of the surgery and a virtual visit with my surgeon after the covid visit....and the next thing you know I will have my surgery. It's all going so fast.

I went on FaceBook today and there was an ad for Hospital for Special Surgery and this lady was bashing the Surgeon I am using. I don't know how to feel. He gets mostly 4.6 stars everywhere else except this lady was complaining how he cemented her hip and it sticks out or something. He gets mostly over 4 stars everywhere I read about him. When I searched on google I see the same lady put a negative review about him on google. I googled her name and she is some older broadway actress. I instant messaged her to see what her complaint was all about but, she hasn't answered me. I was just bummed to read something negative 2 weeks before surgery. As soon as I asked the lady on Face book a question about the surgeon HSS staff removed the posting.

Please don’t allow one persons negative review upset, influence or worry you. Every surgeon is going to have a negative review at some point. I don’t think it’s unusual. It’s my understanding that your surgeon comes highly recommended, right? As does the Hospital for Special Surgery. Try not to lose the confidence and trust you’ve built with your surgeon. You're so close now, Mersada, and life without the pain and limitations you’re suffering is finally within reach. Stay focused on that alone and how wonderful recapturing you’re life will be. You can do this and I believe you’re going to do great!
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind. I hope you have a Happy Easter weekend!
@Mersada

I agree with Layla @Mersada. You can't read any online review where there isn't a one star review. If you feel comfortable with your surgeon take a big breath. it will be ok. No surgeon is ever going to escape a bad review. Might be my personal bias but when I hear " Broadway actress " I hear drama queen.

I saw another review on fb under HSS advertisement for my surgeon and this one was positive. I suppose you’re right about reviews. Not everyone can be perfect.

My nephews came by over the weekend and put risers under my futon. It raised 8 inches it feels weird but will allow me to sit on it without breaking precaution rules. I also bought a recliner platform from Amazon raising my recliner 3 inches. I think I should be ok now with furniture and precautions. I’m not totally sure about the toilet seat riser if it’s high enough. How can you tell?

I just have to order groceries and have them delivered before the big day.

I go for covid test on Monday and I have a virtual appointment with my surgeon right after. I have a feeling I will be tongue tied during the appointment lol
Less than two weeks to go. Getting scary.

I tried the height of everything by sitting down and trying to get up without using the bad leg at all. You will be able to assist getting up with the new hip, but I figured if I could get up without it before surgery, I would be able to get up no matter how cranky my new joint was after surgery.

Hey my friend.:friends:
I know it's getting closer but you HAVE to be the most well read On it Bonesmartie here.
You have got this and you deserve it.
It will be a blessing.

I saw another review on fb under HSS advertisement for my surgeon and this one was positive. I suppose you’re right about reviews. Not everyone can be perfect.
True, and also remember that it is all in Perception.
We all have different anatomies and who knows if the complainer was overdoing it and leading to some of her own issues. Hard to tell.

I’m not totally sure about the toilet seat riser if it’s high enough. How can you tell?
It will feel too low even if it's high enough for the first week or so.
Quads are so sore. .but it won't be detrimental to your recovery.

Less than two weeks to go. Getting scary.
I get it...I think we I used the word Mortified.
Leap of faith has me hip hip hooray happy :happydance:

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and support. I definitely learned a lot here to prepare but I am not ready for the pain lol. I got an Amazon tablet and already tested alexa on giving me a four hour alarm for reminders to take pain meds. Definitely want to stay ahead of the pain.

I tried putting together the shower chair and failed. The screws were so tight and put together wrong that I threw it out. Hopefully I can do without it.

I read another good review of my surgeon that was recent on fb. It was good to read. He corrected a bad surgery from another surgeon. For some reason I keep getting the HSS advertisements with comments on my feed.

Mojo you are right. I should be one of the most prepared on this site. Doesn’t mean it will be easy. Mortified sums it up good lol.

I feel pretty prepared just scared About the pain and not knowing how bad it’s going to be. Ten days to go.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom