THR I Have a Winner.

Mersada

graduate
Country
United States United States
I had my sixth and final consultation with Dr. Della Valle at the Hospital for Special Surgery. He is very comfortable performing surgery with my hip dysplasia, in fact he says he does a lot of them. He also said he will be able to lengthen my left leg about an inch, which is what I need. He measured my hip using the computer to see if I would have to have a custom made prosthetic -- it turns out my hip just made it and can use what they have. None of the other surgeons I had even mentioned anything like that. Also, he said in time I should be able to get rid of my limp, which I was very happy about. He did say I would have to spend about 2 nights in the hospital, I guess I won't be going home the same day. He did say he expects I can return to my desk job after 5 weeks. I thought that sounded a bit soon, considering what I read here.

I am determined to still save some more time from work so, I can have atleast 12 weeks of recovery time, should I need it. Right now I have 9 weeks saved. I am looking to set a date in April, so he said I just need to call 2 months in advance to schedule.

I am very relieved to have found the perfect OS who says he specializes in dysplasia cases. On the down side, no anterior for me, he said with the condition of my hip he has to do posterior with spinal anesthesia. He was very attentive and expected more questions than I had. Being that I read a lot on here, I didn't have a whole lost to ask. I will have precautions for 6 weeks. I wasn't happy about that, but most survive it, I'm sure I will, too.

Oh @Mersada :loveshwr:
I'm truly so happy for you.
Being confident in your surgeon is really such an important part of this hip replacement saga.
You will truly be so glad to get your new hip.
We will be right by your side and cheering you on.
:friends:

Congrats. I heard great things about Dr. Della Valle (and about a lot of other surgeons at HSS). You need not assume that "anterior" would be better.

Sounds like he was precise and sharp and thorough, and that you felt really secure and in good hands with him--so you didn't need to ask a ton of questions. You answered the big question: who do I want as my surgeon?!

Great idea to plan for extra time off beyond five weeks ... Some people do have faster recoveries that allow them to return to week in 5 weeks, but yes, generally best not to count on that. Anyway, congrats!!!!!!

Wonderful news to have a surgeon you want and trust. The precautions are really not a big deal and they go away so not forever. Now to find the perfect date with your job and earned time off.

Oh Mersada, What a wonderful update to see first thing this morning! I’m so happy for you as it’s so important to feel confident in your choice for a surgeon.

You may be happy to spend two nights in the hospital once you’re there. I wasn’t sure I wanted to go home after one night, but they convinced me I’d be happier and more relaxed at home, which I was. It will be nice for you to be under that care though as you initially try to figure out how you’re going to function once you’re home. It all falls into place easier than you can imagine. Things I stressed and worried about pre-op became a non issue post op, one by one.

While April seems far off now, we all know how time flies. I wish you comfort as you wait. I experienced posterior with spinal and had no issues. I didn’t have any restrictions, but our situations going into surgery are different. As you mentioned, you will make it through the six weeks of restrictions. You’ve educated and armed yourself well and you know you can count on us for support, encouragement and advice when we’re able to help. We won’t steer you wrong. I’m truly excited to see you made this big decision on the way to recapturing you’re life. You’re going to love the result of this great surgery.
Stay in touch and enjoy the week. Hugs! :friends:
@Mersada

Thank you guys for your input and support, it really means a lot. I am truly grateful for this forum. I have learned a lot and am still learning. It helps to read about other peoples experiences and their questions always lead to something new I learn here. I learned about the many different approaches to hip replacement even though, none of them was possible for me except posterior....atleast I tried. I am grateful to have found the perfect surgeon after 6 tries...lol.

I live alone so, the surgeon thinks I should hire someone to stay with me. I don't have anyone I feel comfortable with asking to stay with me. Everyone for the most part works. I just wonder how much I will need someone here....I am not that comfortable having a stranger here with me either. I know I will need someone to come in to change the little dogs wee wee pad. I got the dishes with the long stick so, that I can feed and water without bending over.

Has anyone else done it on their own without too much outside help. Advice appreciated.

Hi Mersada

I am single too and managed pretty well by myself after all my surgeries. You've got a wealth of information on this forum so you should be as prepared as possible come April. Be happy to answer any questions! (And I had hip dysplasia too.)

Hi Mersada

I am single too and managed pretty well by myself after all my surgeries. You've got a wealth of information on this forum so you should be as prepared as possible come April. Be happy to answer any questions! (And I had hip dysplasia too.)

Hi @kayak59,
Did you have posterior with precautions, if so, how was that to deal with??
How did you manage on your own. I'm really hesitant on hiring someone except for coming in for the dogs for perhaps 2x a day for wee wee pad change.

Has anyone else done it on their own without too much outside help
I spent most of my time alone post both THRs. If you have someone coming in 2X per day for your dogs you should be fine. Just put items that you will use within reach. Several grabbers around the house are useful.

I used plastic bowls that had a cutout in the front to feed my cats. The grabber worked well.

Has your surgeon already indicated you will have restrictions?

Hi Mersada,
Without getting too nosy...would the person who comes in twice a day to tend to the dog pads be willing to do anything else for you, if necessary? I think it would give you peace of mind if that is an option, even if it meant paying them for extra help.

You‘ve made good use of the site and established a rapport here with other members. We care about you and will advise and help in any way we’re able, it’s just the little unanticipated things that concern me, like the inability to reach something you need, clean up an accidental mess, have the comfort of someone sitting in an adjoining room for your first couple showers...just to mention a few. A friend, a co-worker, a friends grown child, a trusted neighbor? Possibly even a PCA you hire for the first week to stop by for 30-45 minutes daily. Just thoughts. I want you to go into this feeling confident that you have all bases covered.

A peaceful evening to you. It’s almost September, my fave. Just one more sleep!
@Mersada

hi @Layla, no not nosy at all...I appreciate all your input and advise!
I have no idea who I will be hiring, yet...too early. I may have my older sister be able to check in on me the first week or so....she is a real estate agent and has flexible hours. I hate relying on anyone or expecting them to do anything. She did offer to take me to the hospital when I go in for surgery. That I am deffinitely taking her up on since it's in Manhattan about an hour drive with traffic.

There is a site called nextdoor.com where people in your immediate neighborhood connect. I may post the need for a dog care taker there.

I probably will have family pop in on me after work in the evenings. I suppose everything will work out.

I have also looked at rover.com and the going rate for drop in visits is like 15 dollars a half hour.

Also, the surgeon said I would need a "high chair"....I'm wondering if my recliner is high enough. How do you know? My feet just reach the floor on it. I have risers for my living room futon with 8" I can rise it. I hope that's enough, as well.

I can't believe it's already September....summer is over. Before I know it April will be here and I'll be in a panic. Atleast I have this forum helping me prepare and an early start.

I'm still working from home due to covid, hope the fall doesn't spike cases here, but I hope they let us continue working from home....looking for parking with this hip is no fun.

Well, I hope you have an amazing week. Next weekend is a 3 day weekend, happy about that!

Hi Mersada

Hi @kayak59,
Did you have posterior with precautions, if so, how was that to deal with??
How did you manage on your own. I'm really hesitant on hiring someone except for coming in for the dogs for perhaps 2x a day for wee wee pad change.

Mersada, I had the SuperPath method on both my hips and there were no restrictions after that except for common sense. I had a walker with a tray and a couple bags hanging from it. I could manage steps as soon as I left the hospital and aside from almost falling head first into the litterbox one day, I had no issues. All my food was in the freezer and a friend brought me perishables every couple days. (Now of course that can be delivered just as easy.) I am very independent and didn't want to ask people for help but it was surprising how many people offered.

Of course, my surgical experience was different than your's, but the main thing was that I was as prepared as possible -- mostly thanks to Bonesmart. Once you have all the information on your post surgical precautions and restrictions, come up with a plan for how you will do things with several options just in case.

@Mersada regarding the "high chair" your doctor spoke of. I am 6' and for me, the lower my bottom was in relationship to my knees, the harder it was to get off any surface. (Which is still true, to be honest.) A friend made me a platform out of 2x4"s for my recliner (4 2x4"s and 1/2" plywood) and with that, I could easily raise myself. Got a riser for the toilet too. I actually liked those so much, I am still using them to this day. If your current chairs allow you to rise without much strain on your joints, it is probably okay.

Yes, he said I will have restrictions. Not happy about it, but, what can you do.
I had restrictions after my LTHR (posterior) and I really didn't find them difficult. My hip didn't want to move in some ways so they really were not restrictions.

Your recliner should be fine in terms of height. If you have other soft furnishings just use a firm cushion so you don't sink down when you sit.

p.s. -- what's a pca?
Pretty sure Layla is referring to a Patient Care Assistant.

If you can get through the first week or so with some oversight, you can kind of work out how to do what is necessary and where you might need help.
I kept sister or hubby on standby for showers or getting down front steps for walkabout in the yard.
Most of the rest was doable..dressing, getting more ice, grabbing a snack...just was very slow and tiring.

Hi Mersada,
Sorry...I should have explained. By PCA, I meant Personal Care Attendant. They offer services based on the need of the client. Some do minor housekeeping, laundry, food shopping and meal prep. They can run errands, help you dress / undress or assist with bathing and grooming.

If your sister can check in on you daily for the first week, and you may not even need her that long, I’m sure that would be best as your comfort level would most likely be greater with her, than a stranger. The first shower or two were a little scary for me. With the first, I felt a little weak and it took until the second shower to get the hang of it. I think I would have been even more anxious if I didn’t have someone within earshot, as I did.

Before I know it April will be here and I'll be in a panic.

I know you’ve read other members post op comments here many times and sadly we all have to struggle through that fear of the unknown going into surgery, but I’m betting once it’s over you’ll be thinking as the rest of us did “if I only knew, I wouldn’t have stressed so much.” Wish I could blink you to recovery. :friends:

Have a nice Tuesday, Mersada!

For this last hip I bought on Amazon a firm 4" thick firm chair cushion that I used on some chairs that were lower and it really helped. After I was up and about I actually took it with me to restaurants to make sure I could sit without issues. I am not tall but some seats were low and more difficult and then there was the leaning forward to eat and breaking my 90 degree bend rule. The cushion made it much more comfortable and easy to sit longer and enjoy. I used it for comfort after not needing it for the restrictions on my office chair.
1598990487404.png

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom