I have a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddler

Country
Canada Canada
LTHR on January 3rd. A couple of months ago I decided to see if I could get an earlier date via the cancellation list and it worked!

I meet with the surgeon on Monday.

Hello, @Paddler! It's good to see you on this forum. :)
I'm so excited for you having your surgery date! I'll be flowing good vibes your way throughout your journey. :flwrysmile:

Well done!! Dont forget to join the January Jackpots! I follow you by about 2 and a half weeks. :)

Hope all went well with the surgeon! Incredibly good news you got a cancellation date, best of luck as you prepare for surgery.

@Paddler, I've joined the forums now that I have a date as well. I am super happy for you and I plan on asking you lots of questions after you're home and feeling better!!! How was the appointment with the surgeon? My surgeon is Dr. Stephen Burnett - he seems to be one of the top guys there, which is probably good, given my complex medical history. Are you going to have time to attend an educational class? Keep in touch with us and let us know how it goes. I'm certainly eager to know!!! All best wishes to you. Merry Christmas!! Pam

@Paddler welcome to the forums. Good for you on getting an earlier date - what a great new year you will have.
@MsBunky welcome as well and good luck for Feb.
Any questions post them on here and someone will have the answer. They are a really friendly and supportive lot and we have all got your back.

Thanks everyone! It's been a busy 10 days since I got my date.

I understand my new surgeon is very capable and that's all that matters at this point. He seems to think I'll be back at work in 2 weeks! Fortunately, I have a generous sick bank and I plan to be off work until I am ready to go back as I want to be fully healed.

The rest of this pre-op journey has involved getting lab work done, ECG and more x-rays. I've had no call backs from my nurse/navigator so I'm assuming that everything is normal. Phew! Tomorrow I have a pre-admission session with the anaesthitist and pharmacist at the hospital after which I should be good to go for Tuesday morning. Have got all my gear lined up at my friend's condo where I am going for the first week post-op before returning to my own home where my sister will keep an eye on me for another two weeks. I've purchased my ceramic joint. And then...and then...

I'm finding it hard to believe that all these aches and pains are going to go away. I've had to go off Celebrex pre-surgery and I hurt horribly most of the time especially when I am moving about. Although my right hip is supposedly perfect and showing no signs of deterioration, all the pain is on the right side of my body now. Presumably that's because of all the years of compensating for the left hip. About the only exercise I can do at this point is swimming. I pretended that I was paddling a dragon boat the other evening and could barely twist my good hip into the stroke! And yet, I have to trust my surgeon who said I would be dragon boating again and doing anything else I wanted but NOT running. "I don't like running" he said. And I was never a runner so that's OK.

It's all going to be good again!

He seems to think I'll be back at work in 2 weeks!
I will never understand why surgeons set this totally unrealistic expectation. This guy has obviously never had THR! You won't be anywhere near ready at 2 weeks. More like 8-12 weeks and then a Phased return to work .

You will indeed get back to doing all the things you love. It's so hard to imagine at this stage - but there is a lot of living to do post THR!

I had my pre-admission meetings this morning with the pharmacist and the anaesthetist. The latter was very reassuring and remarked on perfect lab results. I'll be having a spinal and a sedative because it results in easier recoveries. She commented as we were wrapping up that she foresaw a quick problem-free return to my old life. Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back