I have a date now for surgery....

Catching up with your thread. Your hubby is so thoughtful! Love the image of him showing you how useful the new grabber will be. His support alone will insure this process goes well for you. I am blessed by a kind soul too. You’re almost there. It’s easier than you think.

:hi: I hope you find some distractions as the wait is the worst part...

I worry for you with your heart issues and the Motrin.
My better half has dealt with heart issues for many years now, and No NSAIDs has been his protocol.
Tylenol only...per his doctor.
I also steered away from ibuprofen after my surgery, as it is my understanding that it has been known to interfere with bone growth.
Hope the next 10 days fly by for you.:yes:

@Mojo333 I mostly use Tylenol. Actually never used NSAIDs until last March and not a large dose. My heart thing is weird to explain, my heart had no blockages 6 years ago, was told 0 risk for heart attack, healthy heart, and the tachycardia is benign, but it needs to be controlled. 6 years ago is when my first tachycardia happened. My mom had it and now afib for several years, yet shes 97 and lives alone in her house....its a wonder. But yes I worry because I do have anxiety now and off and on depression, not good for the heart...thanks for your concern

Hi Cecropia, getting a deep infection on the joint prosthesis is also my No 1 fear. I don't understand what causes these infections, what the risk factors are, how do you reduce the risk. Its fear of the unknown.

Last edited:
@SelfHelp Nice to meet you... That is my biggest fear too....it keeps me awake at night, I'm actually okay with the other possible side effects. I have to go through with this now or in the future and if I don't do it now my body will be jacked out of shape from walking goofy and taking constant tylenol or NSAIDs.

I know this is not fair especially with all the veterans who have come home without arms and legs or lost their life. No one here really knows me, I've never acted my age, and I don't want to. But tonight I'm thinking selfishly of myself. I went out to the shed today, my mountain bike sits on one side, my kayak on the other side. I laundered sheets in the basement, their hung my cross country skis, and next to them my hiking poles. Went in the guest room closet tonight and there sat my roller skates which I was still using in January and I love dancing on my skates. And oh, my mini trampoline, I can do some mean dancing on my trampoline to rock music. And then there sits my elliptical in the den, just bought it last fall when my other one gave out. And when I dance it's like to ACDC, and I go crazy. So I'm listening to my favorite saves on Pandora tonight, and I'm like what the ummm happened??? Then listening to Foreigner, Is anybody out there, does anybody care? So yes I'm venting and I want to get up and DANCE and I can't. All my song saves on Pandora are fast, the way I like to live my life.
So anyone who reads this, now you know me better, AND I DON'T die my hair, it's natural grayish. Totally off subject. I want to run away, but, where, hummmm, guess not...:dancy: that's me in my dreams now....hugs and kisses to all hippies

You'll be able to run away soon and do it pain free. It is frustrating when parts of our bodies do not do what our minds want. Hang in there, soon you will be able to get back to the fun things. We all get those down moments and it is so nice to have a place like bonesmart to let it out.

Having this hip replaced will get you back to the things you love...it is a new beginning, not an end to your passions.
You WILL want to practice up on your patience if you are a high energy person..because you will feel so much better in short order that it might be hard for you not to overdo, but this recovery time is a great investment in a pain free exciting future.:yes!:

When you first have surgery, full recovery may seem so far off but I can assure you, you will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly you improve. BUT like @Mojo333 said, please don’t overdo, even when you feel like you can do more. You’ll quickly find your limit and you need to stick to it. Overdoing it will just slow down your recovery. Patience in gigantic doses is definitely needed. While you are waiting for your surgery day to arrive, try to think of some things you might enjoy doing to pass the time - reading, watching movies, puzzles, crocheting, knitting, sewing, good books to read, books to listen to, etc., etc. Everyone’s interests are different but you need something to pass the time while your activities are limited. You can have friends over to visit, call old friends you haven’t talked to in ages, play games online and read/post on BoneSmart! By this time next year you will be able to do all those things you yearn to do once again so focus on that rather than the negatives. Hip replacement surgery has well over a 90% success rate and even those with issues are not normally serious issues. I think my OS had over a 98% success rate if I remember correctly. Less than 2 weeks to wait now. You’ve got this and will come through it as a winner!!

Thank you all for your support. I was in a mood last night for sure, having one of those pitty parties by myself... I woke up during the night and was like, oh my gosh I need to erase that post, but then already it had been seen a few times so I left it, as it would be odd then to disappear. Certain songs I hear make me run my mouth too much....:chinstroke:

:shocked:Today was my pre-OP appointment at the hospital. Blood sample and stuff, then on to PT for training, then to nurse for before and after information. About 2 hours. The PT had me practice on how to do things after surgery. It's a lot to soak up all at once. Two weeks in home PT ordered by OS. Tried to mention causally that I did not need PT did not go over so well, so will have to see what all they intend to have me do and work from there to not overdue. I have to be there 7am. I've accumulated all the tools I need at home. So the hard part will be not breaking restrictions after surgery, the most worrisome for me. I was okayed to sleep in a recliner, but still miffed on how to get in and out of the darn thing without bending forward and breaking the 90°. And I thought you were not supposed to sit on soft cushions, yet I was told it was fine to use my glider if I put a couple bed pillows under me to raise my hips higher than my knees. Very confusing... Anyway went well, loved the ladies helping me. See OS Thursday. I have the stuff to wash with every night for 3 days prior and my bedsheets need to be freshly washed and pjs the night before and clean clothes for morning. In the morning I have to wash with antiseptic disposable cloths. Apparently for bacteria precautions. Yee gads, I'm glad they are being so cautious....but wow, I feel like I should disinfect the inside of the car and what about the wheelchairs by the doors that you ride in, they are not cleaned after each use. Hummmm.....ready or not here I go....:scary:

Oh yes, the nurse said I will have ice and will be sent home with a really nice ice bag for my hip.:yes: And I will be on a blood thinner pill form for 2 weeks. Xarelto... Too much to remember right now....xo

This is all really interesting - so much washing and disinfecting! I have my pre-op appointment on Thursday, so I will be interested to see what is the same or different here in the UK. I am also becoming increasingly concerned about how to avoid breaking the 90 degrees restriction :unsure:
Did they manage to answer all your questions? I am currently busy drawing up my list ........

@Cecropia No apologies needed for your pity party, we all have them and that's what hipster friends are for! I love the "old" rock music you were referring to, I remember it well! I had to laugh at all of the disinfecting that we have to go through before surgery. I did all of that at home (as ordered!) so imagine my shock when I got to the hospital and they handed me a whole pack of wipes to do it all over again!!! :gaah:I think the worst part is the clean sheets............yep, it makes sense except I had to change the sheets with a screaming hip! It all seems pretty funny now and you'll get there too!! :flwrysmile: Just a few more days, hang in there!!!

@linette333 I think my questions were answered okay. I'm curious too how your preOP is different or same???

@SE Florida I know the washing is funny, but a good thing too. Now my husband likes to roll over and cuddle me at night, so he has to stay away from me the night before....:loll:

In my directions it also said it would be advised for husband (or wife) to wash in the same manner...5 days before shower everyday using the disinfectant soap..clean nighties..fresh sheets and no dogs on bed! Yikes , my Boston terrier is going to be very confused and sad.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562