BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

I have a date now for surgery....

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Cecropia, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    You really need to leave lots of this stuff alone. Personally, I would skip the laser surgery - I'm sure those spots will wait, quit fishing if it's causing anxiety, etc. Write down your list above, go through it carefully and decide what things you can cross off doing if causing more stress. With the remainder, stop googling, use common sense for safety and try to forget most of it. I had a 2nd degree burn 1 day before surgery, had a little cut on my toe, etc. I was very careful about mixing with large groups and washed my hands before and after public places but that was mostly because after so long, I couldn't have faced my surgery being cancelled due to illness. You need to hear down or you will be in a real mess mentally by the end of the month. I did only use soap & water rather than alcohol to sanitize hands; don't weaken your immune system. You will be fine if you stop overthinking everything :curtsey:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Cecropia

Cecropia member

United States United States
    I have a question about recliners. I see so many getting one to sleep in and rest in if they can't sleep on their back. Yet I read recliners are a no no. Very confusing. I have 3 different recliners in my house and my favorite is about the right size that my legs are about at 90° when sitting in it. It has a built in lumbar support too. So many of you are using them. I also love my glider which has a 3in pad, but while I'm sitting in it my legs are still 90°. There seems to be so much confusion about soft pads underneath or hard chairs. I have them all, but hard chairs, how miserable that sounds. I even read that some people lay on their good side with pillows between legs within 3 or 4 days after surgery or just use the recliner for the whole time to sleep at night till restrictions are lifted. Dont bend forward at all. How the heck do you get out of a recliner without a slight bending forward or any chair or bed for that matter. And dont lift your knees up in bed like a bridge or place a thin pillow under your thighs at night while on back which is so comfy. And the bridge is used in therapy, so why can't you lay on your back in bed and bend your knees up, (but not do a bridge,) just to ease your back some? How many of you have done some of these things and been fine?

3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Whoa, you are a panic. And I thought I was a Nervous Nellie.
    Look at your mom, there is some longevity there and you share the same genes. Why can't you expect to have the same outcome? I'm quite sure you'll do just fine and later be relaying your experience here to other newbies, just as we are.

Many use recliners. I slept in mine, every night, for three weeks post op. I only did it because it made me feel more secure. I had a fear of rolling onto my side in my sleep if I slept in bed. I placed pillows on the sides between myself and the chair and I felt like what I imagine a baby feels being swaddled.

Compile these questions for your joint camp, or whatever it's called at the facility your OS uses. Mine was a one on one with an RN who made light of everything and acted as though all was easy peasy. I walked out of that meeting with the confidence that I could handle the surgery and recovery. Have you attended anything like that yet?

Prayers for your comfort and peace of mind.
    @Cecropia

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
  4. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Thank you Layla. My post OP has not been scheduled yet, I have a list....lol. See tho, you used a recliner and that is my intention. Also my OS wants to see me the 23. He said bring a list of your questions and I will answer them for you. My mom had her 97 bday yesterday. She keeps everything in the attic at her house. I have a Walker, commode, crutches, shower seat from her. lol. Bought my own cane and toilet riser. I'll make it through this somehow...:thankyou:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yes, you will make it through. My parents each had both of their hips replaced. I guess the writing was on the wall! Luckily, like you, I didn't have to purchase anything either, as my dad saved it all! However, we did purchase a lift recliner. I didn't want one, told hubs we didn't have room for it...don't even like the look of them. He got me to the furniture store and talked me into one. Then the salesman talked us into a lift recliner. Oh my!! Best investment ever! While it now takes up space in the lower level of our home, we've borrowed it to my mom for her last THR and my SIL for her TKR.
    I kind of view it as the "Recovery Chair" now so I don't want much to do with it. I might even sneer at it when I catch a glimpse even though it did me well. I have some OA in my other hip so I'm sure one day I'll be parking my tush in it again for a time. :sigh: Aaah, the joys of aging, lol.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  6. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Layla, loved your post. My husband just got home and said Happy Mothers Day and handed me a really good picker upper stick. Then he ran around the house showing me how strong it was and picking up stuff. I was brushing my teeth and said how do you rinse without bending over and he said remember to do the golfer thingie with your leg. I think I have a great coach living with me, maybe he'll put a recliner right next to mine so we can still sleep together, (sort of).:heehee: I really love this guy.:loveshwr:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Hip4life

Hip4life junior member

Hello @Cecropia! It’s hard not to get all anxious about all of this. It can be a little overwhelming. The BoneSmarties here kept me from going “over the edge” with their great support and advice. I found that journaling helped me get it down on paper and out of my head. I could set up a count down calendar with the tasks I needed to do and when. Being a visual person, it kept things in perspective. Write out your feelings, good or bad, questions, and whatever crosses your mind but don’t forget about your gratitude: for a hip that got you this far, for the technology and surgeon’s skill to relieve your pain and get you back on track, and especially that hubby and everyone else who cares about you and will help get you through this.
    Sometimes the hardest thing is to finally let go and have faith that all will be as it is meant to be because this is what you need to have a life again. Here’s something I found that might help, use whatever Spirit language is most comfortable to you:

Heavenly Father, grant me joyful acceptance of the surgery which awaits me, and let this be the relief and cure which I seek. Make skilled the work of the surgeon and that of his team for it is unto their knowledge and skill that I give myself for healing. I pray to You, O Lord, that this procedure will be without complication, and that my recovery will be speedy and complete. Amen.

Read more at https://www.beliefnet.com/faiths/prayer/6-prayers-for-surgery.aspx?p=2#Ifcxr8duMuHql5gE.99:angel:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. julesglass

julesglass senior

Oh my goodness @Cecropia you have one of the best husbands of all times! That is so loving that he would sacrifice the bed to sleep in a recliner next to you. Embrace the love and shun the fear.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Thank you hip4life. I do pray a lot and yet your prayer was beautiful and uplifting. In the end that's really what I have to do is put it in Gods hands.:SUNsmile:

10. mikeycat

mikeycat junior member

Canada Canada
    Great you have a date. We are sympatico. I feel exactly as you do --felt like a stranger in a strange land. I dont drink, nor smoke, was a marathoner, made all my food, very careful and bang--both.Waiting is tough for many but I rather like the wait because it is surgery delayed. Felt the same about having a body part removed too. I have only had my tonsils out when I was 5 and that was 61 years ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. I am the doubting Thomas as well.Keep thinking great things and a better life.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. linette333

linette333 junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Cecropia and @mikeycat I share all your worries and anxieties. This waiting period has convinced me that I need to do this, but it seems that the longer I wait, the more the fears seem to multiply. Your surgeries are both around a week ahead of me, so I will be watching very closely! :) :-) (:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  12. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Hi linette, my fear also, like I did a little work outside Sunday, by Tuesday was hurting bad, and had been off Tylenol and NSAIDs for a week with some discomfort, using my cane. So last night I gave in and took a good dose of Motrin, slept with no pain last night. This morning its mild, so then my mind wanders to thinking do I need this surgery or just take pain pills. It's a merry go round for me....

13. HipsterKat

HipsterKat new member

I'm just ahead of you on May 20! Mix of excitement and nervousness. My house is all decked out for post-op and my mom is coming down to help.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Cecropia

Cecropia member

I wish everyone here could post in a special thread exactly what their hip pain feels like. I vacuumed the house and used a mop on the floor, (always do on knees otherwise by hand). My husband was mowing and he would be upset at me so did it while he was unaware. The more I bend over, the more it grabs me in the groin and mid leg crease like a miserable Charlie horse that hurts like _ _ _ _. Now icing and more Motrin, but wondering how can the hip joint cause pain like that....it just feels like tendons or muscles....

15. linette333

linette333 junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Exactly! I really find it so hard to believe that my hip is responsible for all the weird and wonderful pains that I am now feeling in various parts of my leg!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Well I'm not so cheery today. I do have sinus tachycardia though it is controlled. My heart Dr. gave me clearance for surgery, but even spinal can affect your heart rate as can the anesthesia they will give me. And before this happened at 60 years old I had an athletic resting pulse of 58 and perfect blood pressure. With my diltiazem, one of my meds for tachy, I run lower blood pressure and lower resting heartrate of about 55. Now I wonder how I will be during surgery if my heart takes off in the middle, and how the pain meds will affect my heart rate. This is turning into a nightmare...but it is what it is....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

You will be fully monitored in surgery and in the hospital post op. They will make sure all is well both with your heart and your hip. It is scary to face all this and worry but keep asking questions here, your doctor and the staff in the hospital.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cecropia

Cecropia member

My husband brought me home a bouquet of roses today.....I said Mothers day is tomorrow. He said they're not for Mother's day, I just know how bad you feel going through all this because this is the time of the year you are out riding your bike, walking, and planting flowers and fertilizing your rose garden, and working in the yard mulching and doing a million things and it is so hard for me to watch you just sit staring out the window, so I brought you some roses.:roseshwr:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. J-nice

J-nice junior member

Aww..so sweet of your husband!!

20. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

Your hubby definitely sounds like a keeper! VERY thoughtful!! The hospital will be very aware of all your meds and take that into consideration when administering anesthesia. You might remind them also again just for your own peace of mind and be sure to bring up your concerns with the anesthesiologists when speaking to him/her on the day of your surgery. It will help ease your concerns by reminding them that day yourself. Then you feel more comfortable knowing they are aware of your situation. Also, don’t hesitate to ask them ANY questions you might have at that time. You will make out just fine I’m sure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1