BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

I have a date now for surgery....

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Cecropia, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Cecropia

Cecropia senior

United States United States
    Your sign name is so cool, (julesglass). I love the way it sounds. I'm my own worst enemy, since I was a child, I was nicknamed the worrywort. My husband gives me kisses and hugs all day long and tells me "you'll be fine."
    But he's a Taurus like my mom. He has a total shoulder implant and a very slow growing non hodgkin's lymphoma that might not need treatment for a long time and he's like, nothing to it type a guy....Me, I'm like throw me off a bridge already, kidding of course....:bored:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cecropia

Cecropia senior

I being the way I am, I did not smoke, drink alchohol or do drugs. I always worked out at a gym, also yoga and meditation. Ate healthy, even was a vegetarian at one time, kept my weight down, so why did my hip go bad.... just me thinking during the night when I can't sleep....:umm:

3. Elf1

Elf1 senior

As far as why your hip went bad, could just be luck of the draw, who knows. I understand the worry, I am like you and still on the waiting side of this surgery but the more I hung out here and read everyone's pre-op and post-op threads the more I came to terms with it. I had a spinal fusion back in 2015, L5-S1, didn't bat an eyelash really over that but this one had me going for a while. Think it has to do with the fact that something is being taken out of your body, course had my gall bladder removed so not sure why this would be different.

Anyway, I fretted and fretted and seemed that all the resources I found only concentrated on the bad things, infection, displacements, etc. But then I realized that most of those folks are on the sites as they are looking for answers and the ones that were good are out living their life. Luckily found this site and while we do sometimes read about the bad we also get to see there are way more good recoveries out there.

I get where you're coming from though, I am a giant klutz, fall over things that aren't there, cut myself regularly when cooking and my cats make it look like I play with Edward Scissorhands regularly. :kitty: Hang in there, we'll get through this with the help of our family and our friends here at BS!

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Oh @Cecropia you're fine, as I give you a comforting rub on your back. You've done better than I taking care of the body given you. I smoke, like my beer on the weekends and a joint at times. My family history has no major joint issues to date. My father wound up with a blood clot last winter. Through this it was found he carries something ( can't remember name) that makes you more prone for clots. My brothers and I got tested for this and it was passed. I'm not crazy about it, just something to know "in case" something happens. Your mama and husband understand you need reassuring. Take they're words of encouragement to heart, mediate on the encouragement and the love surrounding you. They have been where you are now like this community here. Take the peace others give to heart and the heart to calm the mind.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Cecropia

Cecropia senior

Elf1, you sound like you've been doing the same thing, reading the internet stuff, best to hang in bone smart where positive things are happening. Easier said then done tho. Losing a part of you that can't be put back is a strange feeling. I've never had any surgery before. We sound a lot alike. :friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

It is normal for most of us to get worried before a major surgery. It is something to loose a hip but we do get a new shiny NON PAINFUL one instead. This is my 4th joint and as much as I cannot wait to get a date and get to the other side I too at times worry about the what ifs and my other 3 surgeries and recoveries went very well.

This is the place to come to let those feelings out and get support. This is the best place that allows us to get support and understanding from people who are experiencing similar feelings. Try to think of how great it will feel not to have the pain and limitations any longer. I actually do not even think of my left hip at all it feels so normal.

Have a great day.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Cecropia

Cecropia senior

Thank you julesglass. Funny thing, most my siblings drink and some smoke, I come from a big family. The ones that drink are fairing better than me. :heehee: I tell one of my sisters all the time, I think I went down the wrong path because shes having much more fun than me. My mom always loved her beer up to her 90s when she could no longer drive to her favorite little pub. She never drank at home....and she has the 2 hips and 2 knees and still doing pretty good.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Cecropia

Cecropia senior

Leejaa, I'm so glad your surgeries have gone well and the same with your next one. The positive side is always good to hear....thanks

9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Think of it another way. That part of you is diseased and crumbling. You wouldn't want it sitting there forever. Instead you are getting a shiny new hip that will let you get back to living!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

I can totally see how worried one can get waiting. I only had four days, but worried more after as I had no idea what I had gotten myself in to. ❤️ I did stop shaving four days out and really washed up with the herbiclans 2 days out. Otherwise, it’s about trusting your OS and team. It’s a large group that makes sure you’re in good hands.

Lots of wonderful stories here of people getting their lives back. Especially if you read 6 months plus out. It’s all very worth it when you get your life back. Gratitude is also amazing, take nothing for granted now. Especially independence. Take care.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

So the night before my surgery I was chopping onions. Just like always. And ka-blam, nice straight cut right into my finger. So I'm thinking, oh great, I wonder if this will stop the surgery. I just cleaned it up, band-aid, all set. I didn't even bother telling them the next morning. So far so good and the finger healed nicely too! It's really better not to worry & stress too much, all will be good for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. boots

boots junior member

My sister had some repair done to both her hips, labral tear maybe?? then ended up with the hip replacement, she says it was what she wished she would have had done to begin with. good luck!! Where will you have your surgery done?? as we are both in Michigan

13. boots

boots junior member

I finished reading your posts and I have to tell you my dr is very good about infection, extra cleansing before and even having to use an iodine swab in my nose before surgery, he has the best non infection record at the hospital he does surgery at. You will do fine.

14. Cecropia

Cecropia senior

Dang Florida, you are not my mom's age, but that's something she would do, hide and not worry....shes 97 May 6 and 2nd hip at 94. Ahhhhhh, I'm not like her at all. Rats...wish I was. I can't imagine trying to eat the night before, probably have a smoothie, they go down easier when I'm stressed out....

15. Cecropia

Cecropia senior

Hi boots, I'm in Lansing, surgery at Eaton Rapids Hospital. My surgeon does his hips there all else at Henry Ford allegiance in Jackson. I finally found out he does over 500 or even more hips a year according to my stepson who knows him. Yes, he said I had things wrong that could be done with arthroscopy, but I did not want it because I'm 67 and do have some arthritis too. He agreed and seemed relieved that I did not request it and said we are on the same page. So boy I hope this works, I'm such a doubting Thomas. I remember singing that song in church when little.

16. boots

boots junior member

If and when I have surgery it will be in Lansing, I'm about 30 minutes north of there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cecropia

Cecropia senior

Well I had my dentist appointment today and one upper tooth on each side drilled out because the fillings had fissures. 2-1/2 hours, but I left with permanent crowns. So I'm trying to drink a smoothie, its 3 o'clock and I can't suck on a straw, can't drink it, so used a spoon. Still my husband said it was the most fun ever watching me try to get it into my mouth, while keeping it from running out the sides because both sides of my mouth are frozen still. Well my dental is up to date now. First time I had 2 teeth done at once, but not much time left before surgery...had to do it...:heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    I am the same as you. Getting my date tomorrow and think it will be very soon. I worry about infections as well. I had a recluse spider bite on my leg and it left a red band (4 years ago) and when I get anything on that leg it blisters and infects and I am allergic to penicillin. I thought I was alone and paranoid. I had a crown done too and need more dental work and I am also worried about that. But on a positive side I too love nature and feed the squirrels all winter --it is brutal here.
    I am rooting for you and awaiting your posts after surgery. Keep us posted.

19. Cecropia

Cecropia senior

Hi mikycat, I was just telling my husband that since I've been using a cane, the bad leg muscles have quieted down, I can stand up and raise my left leg towards my chest with barely any discomfort where I have not been able to do that for awhile. And I quit my Tylenol a week ago so not on pain medication and doing okay. I'm 3 weeks out and I wonder if it's getting better, back to where I was in December before all started acting up. I did do things that irritated my leg. But it did bother me all last summer when I did my 3 mile walks, but otherwise okay. My niece was bit by a recluse in Indiana while hiking off trail in the woods. Hers was bad too, but healed. Shes 49 and waiting for left hip replacement bone on bone early fall. You do have stuff to worry about too, it is scary this whole thing. Even if my leg feels better I know there is that tiny labrum tear and arthritis. So should I proceed and just do this as it will need it in a few years? I'm really having a hard time. I wish you the best. Will watch to see when you get your date. Once I got my date I'm like okay now this is real and I'm a BIG BIG chicken going forwards.... I'll check on your thread....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  20. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I think you are WAY overthinking this whole thing. Hip surgeries are one of the most common and most successful surgeries there is. If you go to the recovery side and read about some of those having problems, keep in mind they are by far the minority. Those who have had successful surgery don’t seem to post as much and definitely not for as long as those with issues because they are already moving in with their pain free lives. I had a successful surgery 2 yrs ago and BoneSmart helped me a lot both pre-op and recovery so I try to stop by when I can to see if I can help others a bit. This surgery will give you your life back and to tell you the truth, I think you will find recovery goes much faster than you anticipated. Look at the positive side that you will soon be able to go for your long walks with no more pain! Sending good wishes your way. I know you will make out just fine and all these worries will be behind you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1