BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

I have a date now for surgery....

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Cecropia, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Cecropia

Cecropia member

United States United States
    Saw my OS today. He said this has been going on long enough, it's your hip and gave me choices. The other choices just prolonged the issue, so I took his advice. My date is May 28. LHR. Posterior. Oxinium implant. So this will be my new pre-OP thread from now on.

• Like Like x 8
  2. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Nice to have a plan!! Now don’t google stuff anymore

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well done on setting your date @Cecropia ! I put the information in your signature for you. At least you don't have long to wait!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Thanks Jaycey.
    Jenny it's so hard not to Google. I watched a posterior operation this morning before my appointment. lol. OMG!
    My husband agrees, no more googling. I think I've read all there is bad and good, I'm googled out and I'm asking God to please make me more brave for just a little while anyway.

Also made my dentist appointment for next Thursday. I have 2 more crowns to get done and my dentist will do them both at once for me. OS said no antibiotic needed before, but he does want it for procedures after.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fit4Family

Fit4Family senior

Congratulations on your date! You are brave to watch. :shocked: The hardest part is waiting. Once you are there it’s more of a relief. Will watch for your updates. Take care.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Cecropia

Cecropia member

:loveshwr:I have to say the picture bottomshollow put for me in May hit right on. Last summer we had a mother skunk under our bird feeder at night and then she brought 5 babies who could barely walk good to eat with her. Every night the whole family came out from under one of our sheds. We watched them grow up and eventually leave the area and so did the mom leave once she weaned them. It was exciting to us and I also put extra food out every night and ws watched them eat. (I know you are not supposed to do that, but I could not bare to see them starve) and they did leave in the fall and did not come back....

• Like Like x 5
  7. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

So sweet! Another nature lover in the bunch :wave:. I have a pregnant squirrel that comes by everyday looking for her peanut (after she's devoured ALL bird seed). How can I say no! She needs her nourishment for the babies!!! :flwrysmile:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Cecropia

Cecropia member

:wave:Hi Florida.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Elf1

Elf1 member

@Cecropia great that you have a date, time will start flying by as you get everything ready for before and after. I'm a month after you and I'm already thinking I'm never going to get this all done on my weekends when not at work. I'm learning to prioritize what really needs done and what I want done. :loll:

Hang with the group, they are great at sharing, teaching and supporting!

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Elf1, hi. You are in June. I'm still processing....and hoping I wake up tomorrow feeling strong for this....
    When I get through the shock, I will start preparing.
    I wish it was tomorrow because I am terrible at waiting especially for something scary as losing my hip, may it rest in piece.:scary:

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

Don't think of it as losing a hip, think of it as getting your life back. Going outside, working on your bird bath, puttering in your yard......all pain free. The surgery can be a godsend and the difference can be felt immediately after surgery. The horrible gnawing pain is gone! You'll be on your feet and walking again. Through all the ups & downs, we're always here to support you and help you get through it! You are already strong, this will only make you stronger! :console2:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Awe, thanks SE, those little yellow guys are so cute.:SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Hi Cecropia

I had posterior too. Just celebrating my nine month anniversary of the op and things are So much better. I did not have the fastest of recoveries but being out of that horrible bone crunching pain is wonderful. I have indeed got my life back. You have a date now to “look forward” to and time to start planning to make the recovery as easy as possible. Just don’t try to go too fast too soon (as I did) and set yourself back.... your hip will soon tell you what it will and will not put up with during the recovery :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. jwadds

jwadds junior member

Canada Canada
    Hello May Marvel sister!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. CPH

CPH junior member

Just in front of you -May 23 for RTHR! Finally gotten past disbelief of the need for one, but happy to get it over with and be able to enjoy the summer and get back to an active life. Best wishes to you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Rhiannon89

Rhiannon89 junior member

You can do this! :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Thanks all for the encouragement! Unfortunately I too have to get over the disbelief that this is real...CPH
    Hi jwadds, you are almost there girl....
    Wow, 9 months, so glad for you SurreyGirl.
    I"ve been following you when I can, Rhiannon89, swimming at the gym, sounds great and glad things are coming along, hope the second hip gets you going for a long time of happiness when they get it scheduled. I'm afraid of spiders too. :yikes:

• Like Like x 1
  18. trenna

trenna junior member

Canada Canada
    I'm glad you got a close date! When I booked my replacements a year ago my surgeon was booking 10 months ahead into the new year.
    I'm 7.5 weeks out of my left hip replacement and I can already tell it's one of the best things I've done. You won't regret it.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Cecropia

Cecropia member

Am I the only one here who obsessives about the side effects. I asked my OS should I grow my nose piercing shut, he said no. I told him I like to go to a dermatologist and have brown spots lasered off my back, I cut my fingers while cooking sometimes, I get poked by fish when fishing while taking the hook out when they swallow it, (I fish a lot) sometimes my toenails get infected when I cut them too close, bacteria in dirt when I'm gardening and on and on about stuff that could cause infection. I even asked him if I got an infection does he do wash out, 1 stage or 2 stage, or just leave it in and do lifelong antibiotics. He just looked at me and said only 1% get infections and of course it is every OS concern. He said I was getting way ahead of myself and worrying too much and that fishing, dermatologist work, and other should be fine. I even questioned him about getting a cold virus. Ugh. I really like this guy and he feels like family to me. I even asked him if I was his wife what would he tell me to do and please be honest. He said he would tell her to have the surgery.....hummm. I really have a problem dont I.

My mom is 97 next week lives alone. She has 2 knees and 2 hips, the last one done at 94years old, spinal and stayed awake and yacked with the nurse through the whole thing. Never had infection and I know all her life she kept fishing, and cut her fingers all the time as she is dangerous with a knife when cooking and she even stuck her hand through a glass window and her one finger got really infected, no problem with any of her implants, but she took care of it at home instead of going to the doctor, but unlike me she worries not....if I could only be like her.... Boy do I ramble on sometimes...

20. julesglass

julesglass senior

Worry about "What if" will only keep you off balance in your mind. Sounds like your lighthouse to guide you safely is your surgeon along with your mother. I come from a long line of self sufficient farmers that took care and saw docs when needed for big stuff. If you cut your finger or fish bite your finger you know to wash, cover and keep an eye on it. 99.9 per cent of the time these heal just fine. Talking to Mama does help to calm unruly worry now as it did when we were little. You take care. I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together. :friends:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2