BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

I have a date! Finally

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by beachy, Aug 6, 2018.

1. beachy

beachy post-grad

United States United States
    October 11 @ 10:30 AM Eastern Standard Time
    No more waiting in limbo!

OS #2 is doing a LTKR. No BTKR and I'm fine with that. Several new xrays were taken. Last set was from Jan 26, 2018. Those are the ones OS #3 told me to bring with me to surgery for BTKR. OS#2 saw me for at least 30 min and his PA for 20 min prior. PA pointed out some changes from Jan xrays as did OS. They actually went over each film with me!

He said he will begin to research implants specific to my metal allergies. He congratulated me on getting the allergy testing and was very interested in the process.

We are going to wait on right (Thelma) knee. It's not nearly as painful as Louise. It will have to be done eventually. I'm ok with that. With the impending move it's really a load off my mind to have to cope with just lefty (Louise) for now. I think I was trying to be braver than I am regarding BTKR. I have been a wreck but, I can always find humor in most situations.

I am relieved at the thoroughness of everyone from the PA to the OS to the scheduling office. As luck would have it the scheduler was with OS today. She said she always comes to this particular location once a week and generally works out of the hospital. Interestingly, we discussed the fact that I will be starting Medicare Oct 1 and there are some changes to be aware of. As of Jan 2018 TKR is considered outpatient surgery. But, she told me not to worry. If pain isn't managed and PT isn't managed or BP is high or low then I will stay until all is controlled. It is up to the OS. Medicare will pay for more time in hospital per OS report but, it's initially considered outpatient. Crazy.

All in all it was a terrific appointment and my stress level is.....let's just say I can exhale now. This appointment was the complete opposite of #3. He can kiss my (fill in the blank)

My surgeon is Dr. Robert McKinstry with MedStar Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore. I saw him today at one of the suburban offices. I guess it's ok to post that?

I am leaving shortly for the beach and a nice dinner and adult beverage(s).
    Cheers:martini:

• Like Like x 1
  2. beachy

beachy post-grad

PS.....no staples!!!!!
    And anesthesiologist will discuss spinal or general with me.

3. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew supremo

:yay::yay::yay: Ahhhhhhhh.............too bad it wasn't on the 31st....I was looking forward to seeing pictures of your costume as you went into the pre-surgery area.:heehee: Seriously, I am glad you finally have a date.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Laurenkate

Laurenkate graduate

Ha! That's so interesting that Medicare is requiring that it be outpatient surgery unless something comes up. (It isn't just a requirement my hospital decided to put into place). It's great you have a date now and can work with it - and honestly, I think it's really good you aren't having both done at the same time. Regardless of how easy it is, moving is a big change, stressful and although you'll feel much better 6 months out, you might not feel entirely up to par. You can see how this one is going and then schedule the second one.

Yay for no staples too. Looking at mine made me vaguely queasy - and not too many things like that bother me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Great news!

• Like Like x 1
  6. beachy

beachy post-grad

Thank you Ladies!
    @lovetocookandsew you know I would have done it, too! Stay tuned though. You never know if Thelma and Louise might show up in costume on the 31st!

@Laurenkate
    I’m not gonna lie. I was stressed out about the surgery and moving. Pretty sure I will be better off with one at a time.
    I know staples right? He said it’s that mesh stuff on the outside. Sounds more comfy. We’ll see.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. beachy

beachy post-grad

How could I forget to share this!

PA said they like to see 90• flex by 4 weeks. How does that sound to you all? Seemed reasonable to me.

Asked her about extension. She said no worries because “you look small and should be ok”. After I kissed her LOL she said smaller people usually get good extension. Sounds like a load of :censored: to me. And I’m not small. But she did say good ROM before surgery is a sign of good ROM post op.

We had the PT talk. I told her I’m good with gentle PT and won’t abide pushing with pain. I grew a set from reading Bonesmart :loll: She said that’s good because we don’t allow that either.

8. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Make sure the PT knows that. They are not always on the same page as the surgeon.

9. beachy

beachy post-grad

No worries. The PT will definitely know who’s driving the bus.

• Like Like x 3
  10. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy to hear you have a surgeon you like and a date! :happydance:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Neehutchy

Neehutchy member

Sounds wonderful! I'm so happy everything is working out for you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Desertgal

Desertgal member

So happy for you! Sounds like you have a good team. We will be 16 days apart. I will be elevating, icing, and relaxing; waiting to hear from you! Best wishes on your new journey. You can do this!

13. beachy

beachy post-grad

Aw thanks @Desertgal !
    Same to you!
    I will definitely be following your recovery!

14. Eeek

Eeek senior

Switzerland Switzerland
    Excellent news! I had mine done 5 months apart, and while I see the benefit of btkr, I was too anxious to push for it.

I think I had barely 90 by 4 weeks and then skirted between 90 and 100 over the next 2 months.

Staples are rather ugly. But also if you have a metal allergy, they would be unwise I think. I‘d make sure you have good info about showering and possibly changing the dressing during the first few weeks. No problems with metal, but the adhesive can be tough on one‘s skin.

15. beachy

beachy post-grad

@Eeek
    I was glad to hear 90 at four weeks. The BTKR doc said 90 by week 2!
    I'm not concerned how my "battle scar" will look but, staples can be so uncomfortable. I've had them for a rather big surgery and it's not fun. I'm sure there are challenges with any type closing.

Has it cooled off in Switzerland yet?

16. Eeek

Eeek senior

Switzerland Switzerland
    @beachy

Thank you! Yes, it is lovely...mostly 70s and low 60s at night. Gorgeous days, although I‘ve been tired the last few days, so no out very much.

My left knee was my worse knee. I could not even make a revolution on an exercise bike before surgery. That one was 90 at 4weeks. My right one was at 100 last week, so two weeks out.

Knee‘s going to do what it‘s going to do. What the OS wants and what your knee want are two different things and the knee wins.

• Agree Agree x 1