BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] I had THR 10 days ago. Taking Hydrocodone for pain

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Mquagletti, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mquagletti

Mquagletti new member

United States United States
    Hello. I just had THR February 13th. I have throbbing while laying bed trying to sleep. I take the pain killers but I'm finding I need more and more. I last night my leg is numb and I couldn't find a position to release the numbness. Is this all normal? I was told by my friend that had it done to get off the pain killers ASAP. But I cannot sleep without them. I'm taking Hydrocodone 325mg 1 tablet every 4 hours. It's just not working. Pain isn't going away Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Mquagletti , Welcome! Did you have a hip or a knee done? You say THR, but you are posting in the knee section. I see this is your first post. You should go ahead and start your own thread and tell us all about yourself.
    As a quick response so we don't derail TKRLady's thread, 1 hydrocodone in my experience would not be sufficient pain meds for most of us at only a couple of weeks. You may need to check with your doctor. And don't listen to your friend. You won't get addicted this quickly. Most of us are on some kind of pain meds for a couple of months.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mquagletti

Mquagletti new member

Kneeper. Thank you for recognizing my new arrival. I've been trying to figure out how to post or thread. How do I go about it? Yes your right goofed on the reply. I did call the doctor today and they told me to stay on the Hydocodone. I'm going to take it tonight before I go to bed so I can sleep with no pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Mquagletti

Mquagletti new member

I'm not sleeping very well with the pain. Trying not to take the meds because of the constipation and fear of addiction But I have no choice if I want to sleep. Anyone having better luck with any other meds?

5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome to BoneSmart @Mquagletti ! At only 10 days out you are under medicated. You will not get addicted to pain meds. You need them to get more mobile and (more importantly) sleep. Take them on a regular basis until you start forgetting doses. Here are some threads from our Library that might help you:
    Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery
    Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
    Activity progression for THRs
    Home physio (PT)
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Constipation and stool softeners

6. ARHip

ARHip senior

@Mquagletti,

You need to take your hydrocodone. Especially if you can not sleep. I, and most people take it for at least a month. Constipation is a concern for all of us. Look at this thread for combatting that concern. The recommendations work! I simply ate bran muffins and prunes.

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constipation-and-stool-softeners.4899/

Don't worry about addiction. It won't happen. Follow the first link on @Jaycey 's post. It will explain it all. @Josephine does not lead us astray.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brave gal

Brave gal junior member

@Mquagletti I am 3 weeks post op today. I was given oxycodone 5mg tablets every 4 to 6 hours for pain. Today I am not taking any opiates just Tylenol.

Why do you worry about addiction 3 days out. Josephine the nurse here, will give you info to check out about addiction. In hospital and after was given 1-2 stool softners and ate fruit and veg and drink tons of water. Good luck and don't worry you will be fine

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  8. Mquagletti

Mquagletti new member

As of today I am 3 weeks out. When I slow down my dosage of Hydrocodone the pain is back. So I go back to 1 325 tablet every 4 hours. I wish I could go Tylenol. I assume most of your pain is now gone. What's unusual is one day it feels fine and then I think I'm out of the woods and back down and starts up again. Has anyone else experienced this?

9. Nannyannie

Nannyannie senior

Hi @Mquagletti Did you read the links that Jaycey gave in post #5? The first two articles (on pain management and healing) are very useful. Rest, ice and pain meds!
    Please do not worry about addiction, you cannot heal while you are hurting and not sleeping! Give the meds at least 6 weeks, take by the clock so you are not "chasing" the pain. And there was a long chat about the benefits of prune juice on this forum last year:heehee:!
    If there is one thing I've learned since my THR, it is that we are all different - our recovery rates, how medication affects us, how bad we were before surgery, our general health, etc!!!! We have all heard stories about the person who was back at work/dancing/cycling/running marathons within days of a THR - you don't hear if they were then back in for a revision or laid up with tendinitis shortly after.:umm:
    I am still on paracetamol (Tylenol) but now it is for knee and shoulder, I am wearing out!
    Look after yourself
    Anne

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

At three weeks out you shouldn't BE slowing down your pain meds. It's doing you no good keep messing about with the doses like that. Your body needs a regular intake to be effective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.