THR I had my pre op appointment yesterday

Ocean

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
My surgery is on 11th July hopefully but at my appointment my blood pressure was really high, they said to monitor it for a few days then get in touch with my GP if it is still high incase I need medication. I take my blood pressure regularly so hopefully it’s what they said might be white coat syndrome.

My urine sample showed traces of blood, they have sent it away for further analysis incase I need antibiotic.

My ECG was normal, and I hope the blood tests don’t bring any nasty surprises.

I saw the Physiotherapist too, and he’s worried that I have very little use of my right hand so thinks I will have to use the walker for longer than usual before going to crutches. Usually it would be one crutch but he said that I would need to use two to be safe and gave them to me to bring home to practice.

All this has made me nervous that the surgery will now be postponed.

:hi: @Ocean
My surgery is on 11th July hopefully but at my appointment my blood pressure was really high, they said to monitor it for a few days then get in touch with my GP if it is still high incase I need medication. I take my blood pressure regularly so hopefully it’s what they said might be white coat syndrome.

My urine sample showed traces of blood, they have sent it away for further analysis incase I need antibiotic.

My ECG was normal, and I hope the blood tests don’t bring any nasty surprises.

I saw the Physiotherapist too, and he’s worried that I have very little use of my right hand so thinks I will have to use the walker for longer than usual before going to crutches. Usually it would be one crutch but he said that I would need to use two to be safe and gave them to me to bring home to practice.

All this has made me nervous that the surgery will now be postponed.

It sounds like your preop was very thorough and IF there is a UTI they should be able to get you cleared now that you have some time.
I was just thinking...My Preop was the Friday before my Monday Surgery. That would've been cutting it too close!

I take my blood pressure regularly so hopefully it’s what they said might be white coat syndrome.
My husband has had some heart issues/procedures but his BP is well managed with medication, but at every Dr. appointment he exhibits high BP.
Definitely white coat syndrome, stress related.
It sounds like the walker will be your most helpful assistive device.
I'm just trying to visualize your situation.
Left hip replacement and which hand is your trouble hand?
:fingersx: there is no delay..

@Mojo333 , thank you for the reassuring reply.

It’s my right hand that has little use, I’ve always just managed with it and was a teacher before running restaurants so it’s never held me back.

I had to use my walker quite alot as I did both hips at once.
Not a fan of the optics....made me feel like I looked more "disabled" but it was temporary and well worth the end result.
Within a few weeks, I was shocked that my hip joint actually felt very strong (and pain free:happydance:) and it was the incision and muscles that were sore.
I could do some cruising along the countertops and back of the sofa solo to check it out....

Hello Ocean,
I’m also scheduled for July 11th. Hoping that date holds for you.
I find myself ready to get it done, then nervous. There’s only so much I can do to prepare. The rest is up to my body. It’s been a good body for all these years. Most important to me is I know I’m in God’s hand. I pray a lot.
Wishing you the best as you wait
Kathy

@Poodle3, hopefully we will be recovering at the same time. I have done as much as I can to get ready but as you say, there’s only so much you can do.

I was more excited than nervous although the pre op appointment yesterday has flipped me to terrified!

Thinking of you as you wait.

:hi: @Ocean
(I love the ocean!)
I know you are anxious as you move closer to your surgery date, and really, who wouldn't be?
It floored me when I was told that the only solution to my horrid hip pain was replacing my body parts.
But I had been in ever increasing pain for several years, and was getting depressed and sleep deprived.

I am still so thankful for my BTHR and I am healthy, active, and happy because of this surgery.
All well worth the temporary recovery struggles.
You can do this.

I hope these final hurdles fall away and it is all systems go for the 11th.

Don’t worry about the walker at all. I also used mine full time for three weeks, having had both hips replaced at once. After that, it was just a few short days using hiking poles, then a cane, then I was walking well unassisted.

The walker was still great for all of those countless middle of the night trips to the bathroom. Now the walker makes a great blanket holder as I am constantly switching between my comforter and summer blanket. Seattle weather!

I had my last blood test and a covid test this morning so fingers crossed it’s all systems go for Monday.
I’ve been getting things ready for a while but now I think I haven’t done enough.

I am sure you will be fine. I was very unprepared the first time round, having not wanted to think about it, but I managed. The main planning I did was to cut my toenails as short as possible while I still could. @Boofit is super organised so if you look back to her pre-op thread that has a useful checklist. Mind you, she also has a Filipina (IIRC) helper! Us folk in the UK can only dream of that. So you might need to add to the list stocking the kitchen with snacks and frozen meals.

Best preparation may be to get outside and enjoy this sunshine while it lasts!

Hello Ocean,
Best Wishes on Monday. You’ll be in our thoughts and we’ll be watching for your first update on the healing side. See you there soon! :wave:
@Ocean

@Ocean It's almost 10am on 11 July where you are, and I think your surgery is shortly after noon today. Let us know how it went when you are out and are feeling well enough to post! Thinking of you and praying for a successful surgery!

How many days will you be staying in the hospital? Hope constipation does not hit you like it hit me post-op!

Lots of hugs:friends:

@Boofit, I will be staying in hospital up to two nights according to my admission letter. I will be leaving home in an hour’s time. I will be glad to get it over with.

Sending Healing Mojo your way, dear Ocean!
See you on The Healing Side!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom