Bilateral TKR I had both knees tkr and am struggling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the sleep. Do you think you had the wrap too tight?

Last edited by a moderator:
No the wrap may have tightened from leg swelling some in the night, but leg wrap had slid down my leg somewhat so not too tight.

When I did get up and unwrap the knees, they were stiff (perhaps a bit less than normal) but were a very odd grey/blue color.
Do be careful. That is a sign of restricted circulation.

Hi Perry, I am not on the site much anymore but read your post and thought I would comment to a few things. First I too had bi laterals and stomach problems so dropped the meds. It was difficult with a yo yo affect on pain and like others that wrote it is best to have the pain under control then yo yo affect. I bought a tens machine like the one the PT use but a home version and found that to help with my sleep, pain, jumping nerves and other problems that made me uncomfortable. Take it with you to your PT session and have them help you with the settings. I now use the tens for all types of aches and pain not just the knees and have lent it out on many occasions to my friends. I found it to be a great investment. My unit actually was the combo tens and EMS but I mostly use the tens. I bought it from Amazon.com around $100.

Hey, Nancy - nice to see you.

Thanks Josephine I thought this also about the color
---
Hi Nancy,
I have a tens unit that I had used before for other issues and have been using it on my lower right leg tendon which is a constant nightmare in itself.
Did you use the unit directly on your knees , or below , above .... please elaborate as I have been wondering
if this was a good idea ?
---
Yes, I am having the yo yo effect of pains and am considering taking Cymbalta ,,,,, any thoughts Nancy or Josephine ?

Also Nancy I see all the operations you have gone through ,,,,, you are a super-woman !!!!!
I continue to question my will and strength to get through this operation of mine..... I know I could never handle all you endured!

Well Glad to hear you got some needed sleep!! :alarm: Maybe you wrapped them just a little bit too tight and thats why your skin turned blueish/gray. Tonight try wrapping a bit looser and see what they look like in the morning. And try not to take too much anti anxiety medicine, we don't want you to become addicted to that stuff.
Can't wait to hear how you do tonight.. Good luck.:flwrysmile:

Never directly on the knee always below or above. This is depending on what you want. Your PT can help with that but for me I used 4 placing them just below and above to help with the pain from the joint. If it was muscle problems I would space them on the muscle. After awhile of using it you will get good at placement and of course you know when it works or doesn't work so you make small changes.

The only answer I can give for you for the yo yo affect is to stick to a planned schedule that seems to work best and stay on it. We all forget to take our meds at a certain time so that for me was an indication if I could try extending the time between or try cutting down. Also, predict that you will need something more when you push yourself to be more active. I always am ok during the activities but after is when I notice pain or discomfort the most. At 1 year 2 months after my latest revision I still need to take ibuprohen when I am active. My doctor told me to take it before I do an activity as a preventive which does help more than taking it after. I know you are not far along but you do need to find something that works for you (medication). I experimented with a lot of different drugs in the beginning but in the end my stomach seemed to do best on not a combination of drugs but one hard drug (percoset) which I had on my last surgeries. My body hates DRUGS it is very sensitive, I think like yours.

Also Nancy I see all the operations you have gone through ,,,,, you are a super-woman !!!!!
I continue to question my will and strength to get through this operation of mine..... I know I could never handle all you endured!

No Super-Woman. Determination is what it is! I am determined to win the battle to get my quality of life back. Patience is another issue which I had to deal with. If you want to win the battle you must have patience! Not EASY! TKR takes time and if you have complications it takes a lot more time. Hang in there! I think FINALLY I will not see another surgery for a while (at least I have made it past one year now).

@Perry --- I had both of my knees totally replaced (BTKR) a week before you had yours done. Things will get better. I can walk, do stairs, ride a bicycle, drive, and do most yoga poses. Going downstairs still hurts a little bit because my quads feel tight but other than that I feel "normal" most of the time. I only go to PT once a week and only have 4 more appointments.

I believe that you will feel better very soon. And I will keep your recovery in my thoughts and prayers.

We all have suffered the sleepless nights and the tightness and stiffness. Take care. This recovery demands a lot of us! :loll:

Hi Wellness in Virginia,
Up tonight after a couple of hours in bed.
Great to hear of your progress.
I can walk fine, and drive and do stairs. "But" you said yoga and ride a bike ???
You can ride a real bicycle ? Your range of motion must be 120 in both legs ?
I cannot ride a stationary bike or a recumbent bike I purchased because my left knee is still too stiff.
I am going to PT 3 times a week and the range is barely R110 and left 105

I am almost at 8 weeks out from surgery and most of the swelling and pain has gone down.
But the area above each knee cap seems to have increased in tightness and my stamina for walking or standing seems to be decreasing. I am do all the exercises as directed, and icing, but the elevating not so much , (but that is because my right lower tendon will scream when that leg is elevated in a seated position. )
Is this normal for others at the same stage as I am ?

@Perry --- Hi! My extension is 0 in both legs and flexion is 135 in both legs so Yes, I can ride a real bicycle. I live near stores and gyms so if there is no threat of rain, I ride a bicycle to go pick up little things from the grocery stores, etc. And I teach yoga for a living so I plan to go back to teaching in another 7 weeks which will be a full 4 months from my bilateral total knee replacements. Well, I said "PLAN" it may not happen. I may not be well enough to resume teaching yoga in which case I will simply have to wait a bit longer. As you may have read on Bonesmart---The knees dictate what we can and cannot do.

There are so many on this Forum who know so much more than I do so I hesitate to give advice but this is what I found to have worked for me to gain more Range of Motion. Here's what I do to quickly gain extension and flexion:

1) Relax first, don't worry about what the knees will let me do or not. Consider watching a comedy, a funny video on You Tube, read a joke from the internet, play with your pets, whatever gets you in a relaxed and happy mood. Do this first because it naturally loosens your body all over. Tightness dissipates on its own from your feeling good and happy. If you can laugh, all the better. That really loosens you up.

2) Then just do heel slides but the first few reps, don't go to the point of pain or tightness, just do what feels comfortable but do slide the heels back and forth to get the motion going.

3) Then slide the heel to the point where you feel tight. Then HOLD it there. Don't push past that point of tightness. Just stay there where you first feel that hint of tightness and breathe in and out comfortable for 15 or 20 whole breaths then straighten your legs and really exhale. Relax for a few breaths. Then slide your heel toward your buttock again to the point of tightness and breathe for 15 or so breaths again. You will find that that point of tightness gradually shifts gently painlessly and your foot will get closer and closer to your buttocks and you gain so much more flexion without frustration or pain. The key is to only go to the point of tightness. Be kind to yourself don't push past that. The body will start to learn to feel comfortable at that degree of tightness while you relax and breathe all those breaths. Then that point of tightness will keep progressing where you gain more flexion. The body relaxes if it can trust that you won't do anything to hurt it. If you push to the point of pain, the body's natural tendency is to contract the muscles, tighten up to protect itself from "harm!" And you will not gain ROM (Range of Motion).

All of the above I use when I teach my yoga classes. Gradual, relaxed, and kind to the body. After a while, you'll be amazed at what the body will allow you to do.

I am sorry you did not sleep well. Sleep was a challenge for me for many many weeks. Stay happy. I am sorry if I seem preachy. Do not mean to but this is why we go on Bonesmart, right? To learn from one another and help one another through this journey.

Please smile, laugh, and have a good day in spite of all that you are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with your recovery.

Did you use the unit directly on your knees , or below , above .... please elaborate as I have been wondering if this was a good idea ?
I was going to gve you a link but I see Punpkln already has!
The key is to only go to the point of tightness. Be kind to yourself don't push past that.
Perfect BS protocol there, WiV!

Hi Josephine,
Thank you for still following me and offering advise. I know I am a hard headed case as it comes to
not wanting to take the hard pain killers.
However, I have been having some more intense pains of late and increased stiffness and burning.
I have revisited "ALL" your threads and links and have decided that I need to listen to you and try to control the pain to help me proceed in my recovery, and help my body help me.
I have decided to try Tramadol to control my pains. (So far I have only tried one pill )
I am at 8 weeks and what I have at present is 50mg tablets (from a friend who had some to spare and suggested I try these)
Question ?? Because I am 8 weeks along, can I take these (Not on a set regular schedule), but, counting on the effect to last 6 hours, and take them at that time and/or wait until I actually feel the pain symptoms building and feel I need the pain med help, and then take one ?.
Thanks again for not giving up on me..... I have bleeding stomach problem, and the codines made me feel so bad
that I have a fear of the strong pain drugs is why I have wanted so bad not to take them.

Since I recovered with tylenol, Im really not the person to answer your question, but I've read enough on here to know that you are supposed to stay one jump ahead of the pain.. So take your pain meds on some sort of schedual and don't wait for the pain to hit you before taking a pain pill......

Yes take the tramadol with Tylenol every 6 hours. Don't wait for pain to take it - stay ahead of the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
EverHopeful
Recent bookmarks