Bilateral THR I finally did it!!

Mgbwm28

Country
United States United States
Hi All- I made it through surgery 11/15 (Simultaneous BTHR) I can’t believe I did it. It has been a long three miserable years since I was told that I needed bilateral hip replacement. My surgeon was Dr Nicholas Mast in San Francisco, Ca.
I didn’t have bruising at first but 10 days out I have a large bluish-green bruise that has developed on my left thigh. This leg has been more stiff and painful since being released from hospital. I have been using the NICE machine (cold compression) without relief.
Is this something to be concerned with?

@Mgbwm28 Welcome to the other side! You are only a few days out of what is basically 2 major surgeries. Bruising can take awhile to develop. And as you are discovering, every THR recovery is different, even on the same person.

How long are your icing sessions? Ice for 45-60 minutes per session, several times per day.

Are you taking any medication for pain?

Here are your recovery guidelines:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:wave: new bilateral pal!
Welcome to the forum.

Early days indeed as Jaycey notes and I definitely had a "more difficult" leg... One that appeared to react to the surgery trauma differently (seemed to swell, bruise and hurt a bit more)
Not sure about the NICE machine, as I used gel packs (and frozen peas some:heehee:)
I had anterior approach for my BTHR and my quad muscles were so tender I don't think I could have stood any compression on my thighs!
Did your surgeon suggest the NICE machine? Does it squeeze hard?

I had the dreaded compression socks ordered for DVT risk along with daily aspirin but was able to chuck them after 10 days and first post-op check, thank heavens.

I suffered with my bad hips for years prior to my op too, and I know it is hard when you are worn out and sleep deprived going into this recovery, but All Temporary friend.

Lots of great advice and support here and several recovering bilaterals further down their recovery path - @Jad26 and @cold_brew are 2 that come to mind.

Hopefully more folks will pop by to lend reassuance.
You've got this!
Healing hugs XXX

I didn’t have bruising at first but 10 days out I have a large bluish-green bruise
This happened to me about seventeen days post op (yellowish green) and concerned me also because I didn't realize it could take this long for a bruise to appear after THR.

Welcome to the healing side! I hope the pain and stiffness eases for you soon. Try elevating also to reduce the swelling which will ease the stiffness. See article on ELEVATE under Number Two in the Recovery Guidelines, Jaycey, left you above. Stop back often, we'd love to follow your healing journey. Best Wishes!

@Mgbwm28 About the bruise... I had similar situation with my BTHR though my "bruise" went down the whole right leg! My surgeon explained that he had fixed the right hip first then I was turned over and repositioned so he could do the left hip. So right side was down and gravity caused some of the superficial bleeding to pool ... and he said it take time for that to be reabsorbed so it can look like a bruise ... but really is not.

For me this odd phenomena lasted for just a couple of days and then was totally gone. For you this is probably not a worrisome situation but do check with your surgeon if you are concerned about it ... or if it hurts or gets inflamed in any way!

Welcome to the Bilateral group! It is always a delight to meet another brave soul who is getting things done all at once! :yes!:
:cheers:

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: Hello on this one month anniversary of your THR. I hope you're doing well.
Please let us know when you have time. We'd love to hear how you're progressing. Wishing you a wonderful holiday season.
Happy One Month Anniversary!
@Mgbwm28

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kimmy63
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom