I feel so defeated

moondove

Country
United States United States
I can’t find a Dr to help me with a knee replacement as I am only 38. I’ve been to two. The second one seemed more willing to help me, he told me that I would be the one to let him know when it’s time for surgery. Today, I let him know.

My breaking point was not being able to attend my daughters field trip to the museum because I can’t walk without extreme pain and buckling. His nurse called me back and wants to try injections and therapy to “stretch” this as long as possible.

I’m just unable to live my life and I have 6 children that I would like to be an active mom to. I am just tired of “stretching” this out and I want new knees. Am I being unreasonable to want to skip past “therapy”? What is the point when I have no cartilage? This is not an injury. (I have severe osteoarthritis and both knees are bone on bone).

Did I read somewhere in here that there is a list of Drs who are willing to work with people like me? I’m so discouraged, I cried all the way home.

Dearest moondove....please don't worry. We'll help you get to a person that can help you.

If you like this surgeon you've been talking with, I think your first step should be to make an appointment with him and tell him you're ready for surgery. It's really not up to his nurse to make this decision for you. And you have the right to say no and that you want to go ahead with a knee replacement. After all, if you're bone on bone, that is not going to get better no matter what!

Quality of life is everything and it's obvious that yours is suffering. If this approach doesn't work, give me your zip code and I'll help you do some searching for other surgeons. Be sure and tag me in your post so that I see it quickly.

Well your reply made me cry again! You’ve given me a bit of hope. I feel like the therapy, etc is their way of postponing. They are so concerned about my age.

My zip code is 77845. College Station, TX. I can access Houston, Dallas, Austin. I’ll drive anywhere though. Nowhere is too far!

Do you know anything about Texas Hip and Knee in Ft Worth? My dad went there and wants me to see Dr Ogden.

Thank you for being so helpful and kind.

Here are some options for you:

Dr. Stephen J. Incavo
(Houston, TX)

Plano, Texas

Dr. Richard G. Buch - Primary and revision knee and hip surgery
The Dallas Limb Restoration Center
4001 West 15th Street, Suite 290
Plano, TX 75093
Phone (469) 443-0924

Texas Center for Joint Replacement
- Primary and revision knee and hip surgery
(Call and ask which surgeons work with younger patients)
6020 West Parker Road, Suite 470
Plano, TX 75093

Phone: 972-608-8868

I can also probably find some options for you in Austin. But tell me what surgeon you're currently working with so I stay away from his practice or any of his hospital buddies. When you get additional opinions, it's important that they are not influenced in any way by your current doctor.

Dr. Ogden sounds fine as well. I suggest if you are interested in meeting with him, you call his office and ask if he is comfortable working with younger patients who need knee replacements.

This is an important step that will impact the rest of your life. Don't feel the least bit bad about taking some time and talking to as many doctors as you need to in order to be comfortable with your decision. What you should NOT worry about is the longevity of your implant. Even though you are relatively young, it should last 20 years or more for you. In fact, we don't have good statistics on the longevity of today's implants because the improvements in implants and surgical techniques have not had enough time to yield those numbers. But they are good and you should be just fine. After all, it's important to reclaim your life now so you can enjoy it....not wait for some magical date when you are disabled "enough" to warrant the knee replacement.

Please note how Bottomshollow tagged me in her post below yours. Be sure and put a tag like that in your post if you want me to see it quickly.

@Jamie thank you x a million! I am so grateful for your advice and Dr recommendations.

That is how I feel... that I’d rather be mobile now than later. What would people like me do without a resource like this site? I can’t be the only one who feels so alone and helpless.
Thank you!!

My current Dr is Coy Wright, here in College Station.

Last edited by a moderator:
My kneecaps started popping out of place in my preteens. Through the years, I've had 11 knee surgeries and tons of shots. These did extend the life of my knees. In my 20s, I was told that I'd have to have tkrs on both knees, but not until I was in my late 50s. So, I went through all these surgeries until finally, last year, I said enough is enough and had the right one replaced. The difference between you and me is mine wasn't bone on bone. I had birth defects. I think if you can find someone to do a total, you will have many more active years than if you don't.

if you can find someone to do a total, you will have many more active years than if you don't
I think this is key; if you wait the 22 or so years until they say it's OK (60 is supposed to be the magic number) (a) you'll be miserable for 22 years (b) you'll be so crippled TKR might not even help.

No, it's nonsense to say wait if your quality of life is ruined. There are plenty of high-quality people who'll do this for you, and you're (IMO) only discouraged because what you've seen so far seems to be the whole world. It isn't! You'll soon find someone, as Jamie's post illustrates. Good luck, go for it today!

BTW if both are equally bad then I recommend you consider having them done together; a challenge, but only one recovery!

Last edited:
@moondove - Don't give up. Keep looking for a surgeon who will look at the state of your knee and the effect that has on your quality of life before he/she looks at your birth date.

MY first surgeon was one who thought I was too young for a knee replacement. In those days, I didn't know any better, so I waited for 9 long, miserable years, during which time my pain increased and my mobility and my enjoyment of life decreased. I became a semi-invalid.

Yes, you are "too young", but only for these things:
  • You are too young to be living your life in constant pain.
  • You are too young to have your mobility so badly compromised.
  • You are too young to be giving up the lifestyle you enjoy.
  • You are too young feel so old.

Keep looking and pushing! I had my first tkr yesterday at 40. The second will happen in Jan sometime. I was tired of living in constant pain and missing out on life. Don't give up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some more choices. These are in Austin, TX. I especially would check out Dr. McArthur since his website indicates he routinely works with younger patients. Some of these other folks may as well and, if you call their offices, be sure to ask that question.

Dr. Jacob Manuel
(TKR, THR and revisions)
3000 N Interstate 35 Frontage Rd, Suite 500
Austin, TX 78705
737-202-2500

Dr. Tyler D. Goldberg
(TKR, THR and revisions)
4700 Seton Center Pkwy,
Austin, TX 78759
(512) 439-1001

Dr. Benjamin A. McArthur
(Specializes in younger patients; TKR, THR and revisions)
911 West 38th Street, Suite 300
Austin, Texas 78705
512-439-1002

Thank you all for your encouraging words! It really does help to know that others understand! Thank you @Jamie for the added recommendations. My appt with Dr Ogden is Tuesday the 28th so if that doesn’t go well I will definitely call Dr McArthur!! Austin is convenient! Happy Thanksgiving to all

Moondove, consider talking to my OS in Temple at Little River Healthcare. His name is Dr. Kevin Caperton. He will look at your medical situation and discuss it with you. He's not listed in Jamie's database, because he doesn't have the volume yet. He has performed 2 TKRs on me as well as a carpal tunnel release. I've been pleased with his work, and he has an excellent reputation locally.

His nurse called me back and wants to try injections and therapy to “stretch” this as long as possible.
Be assertive and say you don't want to wait. To reinforce this, try printing off and filling in the form attached below. Then take it to the surgeon to show him how awful your quality of life is now! You have to advocate for yourself, my dear. Be strong and stand up for what you want - not what they want!

Attachments

• A_Score_chart_-_how_bad_is_my_arthritic_hip-knee__v4.pdf
    138.9 KB · Views: 277

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics