TKR I feel like a ping pong ball!

Thank you everyone who posts, it's been so reassuring to feel part of a group of folks who know what it is like to go through this.
I worked as a surgery coordinator 20 plus years and ortho was the main area but honestly we cared about our patients but I don't think we really thought about what people actually went through.

Its an elective surgery ( yeah don't believe that) so maybe no one thinks how much we really have to go through on the road to recovery.

There's nothing easy about this recovery but between the great administrators, moderators and everyone here it makes this a journey easier.

Congrats to everyone, you did it, now only can be better! I see a lot of people are home alone after surgery. I have to do knee surgery, but I´m delaying it because I live alone ..

I am horrid with doing PT at home and my knee feels like a chunk of cement
With a ROM like that, I wouldn't worry about doing a lot of PT. Just use your knee as you would normally do as much as it allows with extra swelling or pain. As you heal, your strength will normally come back.

Congrats to everyone, you did it, now only can be better! I see a lot of people are home alone after surgery. I have to do knee surgery, but I´m delaying it because I live alone ..
@jenn33 welcome to Bonesmart! Please start a thread of your own in the pre-op area of the forum and tell us more about yourself. We're here to support you on your journey! This thread belongs to Germaine2 and we wouldn't want to derail it, would we?

Questions at 6 months.

Hello all
I had my 1st knee Oct 2019 and my 2nd Oct 2020, with a complicated hilated hernia surgery thrown in between.

Both knees I had 125 ROM and straight leg in a couple visits to PT , my surgeon calls me his Golden patient on both my knees.

However I have no motivation to do anything. I do regular chores, errands, work in my shop, reorganize but I actually would rather sit on my butt read or watch tv.

This began when my knees started hurting before surgery and it continues now. Some has to do with covid isolating, depression etc.

I have gone on shorter hikes, bike rides of 2 or more hours and have no problems. No pain or real discomfort. BUT if I take my pups for a walk I hurt, get tired and joints feel like lead.

QUESTION? Are you all doing PT exercises at home? Do they help?

Any advice ?

Thanks so much?

I’m wondering how you manage to bend it so well. My problem is the tightness, lack of “give” as well... so I cannot get it near 90 and I’m many weeks ahead of you down the recovery path.
Oh my goodness I was thinking the same thing! I am 9 weeks post RTKR and I am at rom 109. My knee feels tight. I am miserable worrying that it isn't going to bend well. I can't flatten it either. I am at-3. I finally am sleeping way better taking naproxen and gravol.

Germaine, I can empathise wholeheartedly. It seems to me that you have two issues here, both feeding from the other, stuck in a rut mentally and with your knee recovery. With recovery, plenty of the good people on this forum will say that you are only half way or less towards full function. Believe them. I can’t comment, I am only 10 weeks out.
With the mental side, do you not have something outside of chores and work to look forward to, and to motivate you? Try to find something. I took up scuba diving relatively later in life, and it gives me a real motivation to stay fit enough for my next trip, and the staying fit gets me out to the gym, Aqua aerobics etc. and this in itself is good for depression.
With Covid cancelled travel and two freshly replaced knees, I have lacked motivation for a year now, it’s tough, but at least I possibly have next year’s travel plans to keep me going. My advice is try to find something different to do, and make yourself do it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom