THR I did it! Hello to the new me

Hi everyone! It's been 10 weeks since my THR. I'm walking without a limp now which is very liberating... I feel like my old self again. I've been doing physio and hydrotherapy twice a week which has been working well as I don't feel I'm overdoing it. I've still got pain and numbness on the side of my leg where the operation site is - is this normal? I can now walk up and down stairs which is another win for me- have not done that in over a year! My knee pain has subsided since my last update. Loving life with my new hip

Sounds like you are doing really well, @Bambi28! Getting rid of the limp is a huge accomplishment! Congrats!

Your are less than 3 months post-op and some pain is normal at this stage of recovery. If you noticed the pain increases after doing certain activities, back off for a few days and see if that helps.

That numbness can last for months -- it takes time for the nerves to wake up. I had a numb area for almost a year. It's gone now. It just needed time.

:flwrysmile:

3 MONTH UPDATE!!

I had my 3 month check up with the surgeon today, xray looked good. I've been walking every morning for an hour which I'm loving. My surgery hip is still sore on the side when I sleep and it still gets sore every now and then (not the same pain pre-surgery, but more a surgery kind of pain)

When do the aches and pains go away?

Not sure when they all go away but I’m nearly at six months and still a bit tender on the OS if I try to sleep on it.

Congratulations! That’s wonderful news. It’s amazing what modern THR can accomplish. Best wishes for continued recovery and many years of living life without hip pain.

You should plan on a full year, maybe even more before things fully normalize. We need to remember there was a big process involved in replacing on of our joints. Just because the incision looks healed doesn't mean it's all healed and recovered deep inside. The soft tissue take time.
I remember every month coming along and being thrilled with some other little gain in my recovery.
You sound like you are right on track and doing very well, congrats!

Hello Bambi, you ask, "When do the aches and pains go away?" I am 11 years post RTHR. I have had the world's greatest RTHR. But from time to time the ache returns, albeit very briefly. I suspect that with each passing week and month, the discomfort will be less and less for you. In the meantime, keep up your progress, positive attitude and good work.

When do the aches and pains go away?
Give yourself a year. Recovery can last that long and even longer for some, but the pains normally become further and far between.
Happy Three Month Anniversary!

Did anyone experience nail ridges, like bumps, on their nails after surgery? I have one on each fingernail halfway up my nail. I've read this is common after major surgery

No, Bambi, even Googling I can find nail ridges and bumps post surgery. May this be the only post-surgical trauma that you experience. May you have a smooth recovery from here on. :)

Hi everyone :) it's been nearly 5 months since my THR! How time has flown. I've been trying to stick to walking 10k steps a day and am starting to feel like my old self again. Still get pain on the operated side of my leg but I hope this should go away in time.

Does anyone have any recommendations for their scar? Mine is quite red/purple and raised. Not sure what cream or oil would be best. Would love your feedback!

I was recommended bio oil for my scar which is now quite pale and flat at 7 months. I’m not yet up to 10,000 steps a day so well done. It’s always good to read a positive report. :wave:

To Bambi: Your ORS or PA will have recommendations for scar minimization.
Congratulations on your progress. It is so much fun to introduce your new hip to others.
Post-surgery, I was so proud and happy that with my close female friends, I would actually raise my skirt and show my scar. Do NOT do this during a job interview. :loll:

Not sure what cream or oil would be best.
Some of the more common creams and lotions shared on the forum, to be used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.

I'm guessing given more time it will fade to more of a pale (white) thin line.
It seems you're doing well and it's great to read that you're feeling like your old self again.
Keep up the good work!

Hi Bone Smart family!

It’s been nearly 1 year since my THR!! Wow I can’t believe it’s been a year.

I’m feeling quite strong and have gone back to the gym to do regular workouts I was doing before the surgery. I’m starting to feel like my old self again. I travelled to Japan in November and was averaging 20k steps a day. Very different to how I was this time last year.

Thank you to everyone who was there along my journey. I hope you have all been well.

Hi Bambi & Happy almost one year anniversary!
Glad to hear everything is going great for you.

Hello Bambi, Congrats on your one-year hippiversary! May you continue to thrive!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson