THR I did it! Hello to the new me

Day 11 update: Hi everyone! The last few days I have increasingly less pain and have managed to only take pain meds when I feel I need them (usually once a day before bed). I had my first physio session on Friday which was very gentle and I only did what I was comfortable with. The physio didn't push me either and told me to only do things that didn't hurt and to go at my own pace. I will be doing physio twice a week. I am noticing small improvements in the strength of my hip (I can now lift my knee towards my chest (of course no more than 90 degrees) which I hadn't been able to do for a year prior to my THR. I'm walking around the house without my crutches but still have my limp. I'm hoping this will go once I continue to stengthen and heal. I hope everyone is having a good week!
My surgery is tomorrow and it's encouraging to read you are doing so well :)

Day 18: it's been two and a half weeks since my hip replacement. I am still walking around with one crutch but am walking with less of a limp. I've been going to physio twice a week and I feel stronger after each session. I can now lift my legs into bed (yay). Still getting pain and some swelling but nothing major. When did everyone start walking without any aids? I know everyone is different but just curious to know. I hope everyone is doing well!

Hi @Bambi28
Great to see you on the recovery side and doing well!:tada:
I can now lift my legs into bed (yay).
Yay! It IS the Little things these early days...:yes: getting small things done without asking for help!
Still getting pain and some swelling but nothing major.
Don't drop that glorious ice too soon...its a wonderful help.:ice:
When did everyone start walking without any aids? I know everyone is different but just curious to know. I hope everyone is doing well!
You are right that there is a lot of variability in the timelines, but usually we suggest staying with walking aides if you are limping.

After my BTHR, I could walk without aides at 3 or 4 weeks and did alot of cruising about the house using countertops and furniture...and short trips down the hall ... but babying that new hip for a while will likely keep it from getting so sore and angry...
I figured out early on... just because I could, didn't always mean I Should.

Oh my gosh I am soooo thrilled for you. I was where you are now a year ago. The worst part is over, now onto healing and recovering. Please remember that this is not a race. Take it easy and listen to you body! you will 100% get back to where you were or better, just don't risk causing damage, hurting yourself in the process. Be patient and kind to yourself. Your kick butt body will get you there, CONGRATS!

1 month update: hi everyone! It had been one month since my THR. I have been doing physio sessions twice a week which I am loving. I seem to improve and gain strength after every session. My limp has improved (probably a 3/10 on a scale of 10 being a bad limp). I walk around the house without an aid and with one crutch outside the house. I am yet to go on a big walk but being conservative and don't want to over do the exercise. The side of my leg where I have the incision is still numb - not sure if this is normal. My stitches are still on but the doctor said they should fall off on their own. The physio events me to start hydrotherapy however I am still cautious and am unsure when the right time to start is? Any suggestions from your experience?

@Bambi28 It is wonderful to hear you are doing well! Very smart to avoid over doing things - our ODIC (Over Did It Club) does get new members every day :heehee:

Yes numbness can hang on for a while but should fade away over time. As for starting hydrotherapy .... I'd check with your surgeon first since you still have stitches. My surgeon told me not to go swimming or do hydrotherapy until incisions were well healed - no pink around them - and all stitches were gone.

Thanks @djklaugh - given my stitches haven't fallen off yet I won't be jumping into the pool anytime soon (even if they do provide waterproof bandages). I have my 6 week check up with the surgeon in a couple of weeks so will ask him then

:wave: Happy One Month Anniversary!
The physio events me to start hydrotherapy however I am still cautious and am unsure when the right time to start is? Any suggestions from your experience.
I am glad you will seek permission from your surgeon, rather than the Physio. My experience was no pools, lakes, spas, baths, basically no submersion into any body of water until I was three months post op. My OS was rather strict, but I have also heard this from others here on occasion.

Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Here is a visual of heel-toe walking.
1670298055216-png.87073

I hope you have a nice week! :)
@Bambi28

6 week update: Hi everyone, it's been six weeks since my surgery and time has flown!! I can now get into the car without lifting my leg up with my arms YAY!! This is such a huge milestone for me as I was unable to get into a car normally for over a year. I am walking normally without a crutch now (I would say maybe 5% limp but you wouldn't be able to notice unless you really looked). I still have tenderness and numbness on the side of my thigh but nothing like the pain I was in pre surgery. I'm so happy with my progress. I have been enjoying going to the physio twice a week and can see such great improvements every time I go. I hope everyone has a great weekend

I am very much enjoying hydrotherapy although I was a bit nervous to start with. I’m not sure exactly when exactly I started but I think it must have been when I was coming up to three months. I am at four months and I started six weeks ago (for various reasons I’ve only done four sessions though). Six are included but I have asked to do more that I will pay for because I feel amazing the next day. So much looser.

What a positive update! Thanks for sharing. I can relate to accessing the car. I felt like I had to climb up / in.
Like you, I had to lift my leg, but it was when I was getting out. If I let it down on its own the pain was the worst! I'd yelp like a dog. I recall the first time getting out after surgery and it didn't hurt! It was actually quite emotional for me and made me feel confident that I did make the right choice in having THR.
Happy Saturday!

Had my 6 week xray and check up with the surgeon. His junior initially saw my xray and said everything looks great and then went to speak to my surgeon to ask about any restrictions/if I could do hydrotherapy now. When he came back to the room he said just to note there is something like a fracture (but not a fracture) that happened during the surgery near my pelvis an proceeded to show me the scan (looked like a small grey area or gap). He said not to worry about it and to come back in 6 weeks (3 month check up) to have another xray just to monitor it and hopefully the bone would have grown by then. Even though he said not to worry and I don't have any restrictions placed on me I can't help but feel disappointed and anxious. Has anyone else experienced this? I didn't even know of this 'fracture' that happened during surgery until now - which makes me think there is no cause for concern as they said my surgery was a success.

Any help/feedback would be much appreciated!! I also don't have any pain when I weight bear

Hi everyone, I hope you are having a good week. Did anyone experience knee pain after their THR? My right knee (inner corner) is starting to hurt when I put pressure on it. Is this cause for concern or just weak muscles that is putting strain on my knee?

I didn’t have knee pain with my first THR but I do with this one! It was excruciating that first week. Then it went away for a while (probably the Tramadol). Now that I am decreasing prescription pain meds and adding ibuprofen, my knee pain is a dull ache. I could walk without a cane now, but I keep using it because I am trying to give that knee a break.

One of my colleagues had knee pain (that eventually resolved) with both her THRs. I do think it’s normal, but not much fun! I told my husband I can tolerate hip pain far more than knee pain, maybe because hip pain is familiar.

@Bambi28
Knee pain is not uncommon...but you may also want to consider new shoes.
Mine had a bad wear pattern due to bad gait and also my new hips prefer some shoes to others now:shrug:
Just concentrating on proper gait can cause aches in other parts of your legs, in my experience.

I think the knee also gets weird messages about how misaligned it is compared to the hip, PLUS quad tightness pulls on knee connections and causes quite a bit of strain. Gentle massage of quads including near knee attachments may help.

The hard part about all of the pains we experience is figuring out if it's soft tissue or bone/cartilage pain especially in the knee. Sitting and icing will let you know usually if you get relief it can be muscles.

Hello Bambi,
Happy Two Month Anniversary! I hope you’re doing well.
We’d love to read an update and know how your recovery is coming along.
Hope to hear from you soon!
@Bambi28

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie