Bilateral TKR I Can't Believe It...I Did It!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hats off to anyone doing BTKR! Hard to imagine in view of how much of a challenge one has been. My right knee would only need a partial at this point. OS advised to see how I did with my "new left wheel".....will hopefully take some of the load off my right since I was favoring my left leg so much...

Again, BTKR's are to be admired!

Hi Pam! I've really enjoyed reading about your success! I, too, am scheduled for a BTKR (mid-May) and am so very encouraged by your recovery story--positive, uplifting, and full of relief! I've had many a doubt about doing a BTKR, but after reading your story, I'm actually, for once, much more at ease about the whole experience. Thanks! :)

Hi, Pam, How are you? Still making excellent progress, I hope. Just wanted to check on you, haven't seen any posts in a few days. Take care

Hello All! Haven't been on in ages...just busy getting better...and busy! I will be 6 weeks out from surgery this Thursday. I thought I've been doing well. I'm back to light housework, short grocery shopping trips and errands (I started driving during week 4 with no problems), making dinner, and up and down the stairs doing laundry. I started outpatient physical therapy last week...three times a week and for two hours a session...and just finished my 4th PT session this morning. I've got to say that PT is definitely a challenge. I work hard...and it's not always fun when my PT is massaging my knees and scars...but I seem to be getting good results. My PT said something to me today that has made me a little upset...so wanted to ask you all what you think. When I walked into PT a week ago I could only get 65 ROM with my knees just bending them myself...without someone pushing them farther. Today...just 4 sessions later...I'm up to 80. I see my OS on Friday for my 6 week check up, and my PT said don't be surprised if my surgeon suggested MUA. I know from Bonesmart that ROM will come. My PT thinks my knees are stiffer than his average patient. But I think I'm progressing great. What do you think?? :umm: Do you think my PT is going a little overboard...and shame on him for scaring me? Or is there a possibility I"m going to need MUA? :yikes:

Pam, you are doing great!!!!! ROM will come, just keep working at it. Frankly, with your improvement AND Bilateral TKR on top of that is huge! Hang in there......

My compliments for your success! Just remember patience.......

Hi Pam! Amazing I've not been on here for ages either & suddenly we're both here together!! I too have been busy healing...!
I think we need to remember that we have twice as much healing to do so it will take a bit longer, something I think PT folks need to remember that too.

I found that as I started to lead a more 'normal' life my bend did slightly slow down, but as I'm still working doing my exercises I'm now up to 90 at 10 weeks & my Physio is more than happy & doesn't want to see me again unless I want to see her. So, my point is if you're happy with your progress just remind your PT, your knees your progress so butt out! Don't let him/her push you more than you want.

I'm 10 weeks now & it IS improving, I'm getting stronger & bending better, you will too!

Hugs my friend, :friends: you are doing BRILLIANTLY!:happydance: :egypdance:
H xx

Hello Dear Hilary! So glad to hear from you! And good to know that you are hitting 90 degrees ROM at 10 weeks. You made me laugh out loud...yes, sometimes those boys do tend to talk rubbish...haha! Thank you amab for your encouraging words too. :)

april cat 8.jpg
Pam, you're doing great---some of us just take longer than others---we're all unique!
Would you please put your surgery date in your signature, as well as what surgery you had (i.e., LTKR, RTHR) like the rest of us do? You can find the instructions here: How to create a signature. But please also remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being Jan. 10, 2013 or 10 Jan. 2013 rather than 1/10/13 or 10/1/13. Thanks so much for your cooperation.

Thank you bottomshollow for telling me how to put my BTKR in my signature. I always meant to ask someone about that....but forgot. :ok:

Hello All! Wanted to update you and let you know I saw my OS on Friday for my 6 week appointment and he thought I'm doing fantastic. I told him how my PT thought I would need MUA...and my doctor thought that was ridiculous. I was sitting on the edge of the exam table with my legs hanging down...and my OS said, "You look like like your at 90 degrees to me. And if your not, you're close enough!" he told me I'm doing just fine, and it's ok if I'm not exactly 90 degrees at 6 weeks, especially since I had both knees done. He told me to keep up the good work and he'll see me in 6 weeks. I went home with a big grin on my face and called and cancelled my future appointments with my over the top rough PT...and made an appointment with a group recommended to me by my surgeon. I finally go to see this new PT tomorrow. By the way...I noticed that I never mentioned what happened to me a week ago Tuesday with my original PT who said I'm going to need MUA. He massaged and bent my knees so roughly last Tuesday that I was in agony...breathing like I was delivering a baby and in tears. I should have spoken up and told him to stop...but thought that maybe I was being a big baby. Well...I wasn't...and I should have followed Bonesmart advice...because my knees swelled up Tuesday night even though I had iced them most of Tuesday after PT...and I was in tears. I hadn't taken Percocet in weeks but needed it that night. And I could hardly walk Wednesday and Thursday and had to take both Percocet and Tramadol like I did for the first two weeks after surgery to keep on top of the pain. I was so mad that this PT did this to my knees...and now I know that PT might be uncomfortable at times...but not painful. I've learned my lesson and know I need to be in charge of my knees!!!

Hello! Had physical therapy at a new place today...and what a difference! My new PT understands the Bonesmart philosophy. Was there for only 1 1/2 hours (instead of 2 1/2 hrs at the other place), and I did gentle stretches and exercises. My PT gently manipulated and massaged my knees...bending them through the stiffness just to the point where it started to hurt...then he would ease up. Piece of cake compared to the other PT office. Even though they iced my knees at the office...I'm now home icing my knees and keeping them elevated awhile before I start on a little housework. Yes, it's sad, the housework fairies did not visit my house and get chores done while I was a PT. :heehee:

Hello Bonesmarties! Was thinking of buying a typical stationary bike or recumbant bike in my near future. I use one or the other at PT. Of course, right now I'm almost to the point of making a full rotation with the pedals...but not quite there yet. Does anyone prefer one type of bike to the other?? I was thinking a recumbant bike looks more comfortable to sit on while riding. :bicycle1:

Your choice, but the main thing about home fitness equipment (especially for cardio equip like stationary bikes or ellipticals) is to buy a quality machine. I would look at the many reviews on the Internet and check out your local home gym stores. I have a 12+ year old spin bike that cost $900 in 2000 that is still good for long workouts. A cheaper bike would have long been out of workable usage.

There are some good, high quality recumbents and even more uprights. I think it would be something you will enjoy and use often if you get the right piece of equipment. Good luck.

Check out the EliptiGo. Pricey product but appears to be a good alternative, especially for former runners (my situation). Still trying to determine if I want to spend the $$$. But I'd like to supplement bike riding with another outdoor item.

Check out the EliptiGo. Pricey product but appears to be a good alternative, especially for former runners (my situation). Still trying to determine if I want to spend the $$$. But I'd like to supplement bike riding with another outdoor item.

This is a new product and you are right about pricey. Maybe if these things take off, competition will lower prices. I saw a blog recently about a football coach (I think??) who did a long tour across the SW USA on an elliptical bike. I suppose it could be fun...my gym still have a promo model, but I would see if there was a way to try one out for a reasonable period of time. You can buy a really great bike, high end touring kayak, and other outdoor stuff for the price or much less.

Good job Pam! I am three weeks out from BTKR. Today I feel a bit tired and keep wondering why I want to sleep...well, because I'm still recovering!

I'm with you on one and done. All the people who call me "brave" don't understand what a wimp I am and how much I dreaded having to go through this twice. As it is, my energy/attitude are positive because by late summer I'll be walking, doing water exercises, etc. - things I have not been able to do in a long time.

OK! On to a nap for me. Congratulations again, Pam! :SUNsmile: :flwrysmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads