Bilateral TKR I Can't Believe It...I Did It!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Bonesmart Friends! It's now been 2 1/2 weeks since having both knees replaced...and I just got back from going out to lunch....with just my walker...no wheelchair. ... I've been sleeping upstairs in my regular bed with my dear hubby for the last 4 nights. I take a shower every day...and make sure I have someone with me when I go up or down the stairs. I can get my own breakfast and/or lunch...We have a 75 or so foot long driveway...so I can walk up and down the driveway to or three times...then back in the house.

PT is going fine. But boy...it's a slow process!...but it seems like it's going to take forever to get back my ROM. You all were right....this is a slow process...and it requires patience.
SLOW PROCESS!!!

My goodness if you think that's slow progress then Chuck Yeager piloted a hang glider and Lewis Hamilton drives a gokart.

Fantastic, you obv have The Right Stuff.

Hi Pam!

SLOW? What are you on? You're doing really well, I cannot have imagined going out for lunch at 2 1/2 weeks! Having my hair done which took about 1/2hr was hard!!

By the way do you remember this statement you posted on my thread before I went in.....?
By the time we get to the big drop off I'm ready to jump out of that log. Then over and down we go...and we all scream....THEN...we laugh and laugh and I think to myself...why the heck was I so scared...it wasn't so bad.

So, so true isn't it....... now! I can't believe how pathetic I was:scary: :cry:

Hugs :friends:
H xx

Hi Pamx2 and HilaryP
You are both doing brilliantly. Neither of you were pathetic, you were facing major surgery on both legs, you had every right to be scared! I am sure that none of us went into this surgery without some fear, anxiety and trepidation. You are both well on your way to pain free knees.
That is wonderful news about your daughters engagement Hilary, congratulations. Exciting times ahead.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :spin: :happydance: :egypdance: :dancy:

Pam - I understand so well the need to keep moving. It's like the new knees have a mind of their own when it comes to what we are doing. I laughed when I read your description about lying down, then sitting up, then walking around the island. It sounded so familiar. The biggest problem I faced with that same situation was at night. My knees didn't seem to want to spend very long in one position - even at night. So, like many others on this site, I would get up and wander around in the middle of the night. I finally realized that my husband was losing sleep because of my restlessness, and I ended up letting my couch or recliner become temporary beds. I would start out in my bed, but move to one of the others when the restlessness began. It's a little crazy, but it works. I figure if he's the one getting up and going to work, he needs the sleep. I can doze during the day.

I also went out to lunch at 2 1/2 weeks. It was my sister's birthday, and all the family was gathering to celebrate. I couldn't miss that! The only problem was that with such a large party, the service was slow. We ended up being at the restaurant for 2 hours! By the time I got home, I was exhausted. But being the crazy person that I am, I got up the next morning and went to church. I figured that church wouldn't last as long as the lunch, and I wouldn't be sitting the entire time. Again, I was tired when I got home. I think what I learned from that weekend was that my body might not have been ready for all that activity in one weekend. So I've been pacing myself better since then. But getting out of the house is good medicine - especially if the weather is nice. I even look forward to out-patient physical therapy because I get to leave the house.

My next big event is my grandson's wedding on April 6. I will be at 7 weeks post surgery by then. I should be able to handle a wedding and reception. I just probably won't be doing any dancing at the reception.

I love reading your posts. You are so positive and encouraging. Looking forward to the next one.

Pat (TNSquirrel)

By the way do you remember this statement you posted on my thread before I went in.....?
By the time we get to the big drop off I'm ready to jump out of that log. Then over and down we go...and we all scream....THEN...we laugh and laugh and I think to myself...why the heck was I so scared...it wasn't so bad.

So, so true isn't it....... now! I can't believe how pathetic I was:scary: :cry:

Hugs :friends:
H xx

Hi there! Hilary...I was SUPER pathetic!! HAHAHA!! Boy are we laughing now...what a relief!!! I'm am officially three weeks out from my surgery today...and I'm shocked everyday how much more I can do. I have graduated from the walker to the cane. This evening instead of walking up and down my driveway (which has gotten boring) I walked around my house on the grass. It was good exercise because I had to step a little higher because of the grass...which was good for bending my knees. It was so nice to go for this evening stroll!! Now I"m back in the recliner resting. How are you doing Hilary?? You must be six weeks out...and loving the spring in your step!!

My next big event is my grandson's wedding on April 6. I will be at 7 weeks post surgery by then. I should be able to handle a wedding and reception. I just probably won't be doing any dancing at the reception.

I love reading your posts. You are so positive and encouraging. Looking forward to the next one.

Pat (TNSquirrel)
Hello Pat! WOW...that was a lot for you to do at 2 1/2 weeks...a 2 hour lunch...then church the next day! It's funny how we push ourselves...but find out we may have overdone it a bit! It's so nice though because every day I seem to be able to over do it a little more and a little more....with some rest in the recliner in between. I hope you get in at least a slow dance at your grandson's wedding! How exciting for you to be able to go just 7 weeks post op...and to know that you can handle it. Who would have thought before surgery that you can do that so soon after surgery. And isn't it funny how it would have been really horrible to attend your grandson's wedding with bone on bone pain. I had to attend several weddings in the last year...and I spent most of the time having to sit instead of standing and mingling with everyone. Be sure and let us know how the the wedding goes!! Pam

SLOW PROCESS!!!

My goodness if you think that's slow progress then Chuck Yeager piloted a hang glider and Lewis Hamilton drives a gokart.

Fantastic, you obv have The Right Stuff.
HAHA...thanks Roy...you always make me laugh. :rotfl: And at 3 weeks...I'm already SO GLAD I had both knees done at the same time. Every time I have PT...I'm so thankful that I'm getting all this exercise work done all at once...and it doesn't seem to be double the trouble at all.

Just remember those who try to rush this just end up further behind.
Hi there Bottomshollow!! I just wanted to let you know I LOVE this quote. Have added it to my quotes I keep in my head and repeat to myself all the time. It seems like my physical therapist is on a mission to get my knees to 90 degrees ASAP. I keep telling her that my doctor said he'd like to see me at 90 degrees by 6 weeks...BUT my friends on Bonesmart say not to rush it...and I quoted you! Because I'm doing so well getting around at home my PT lady says I can start going to outpatient PT maybe starting next week...which sounds just fine to me. It will be better to get out the house...and the physical therapy place has more things I can do to exercise. And it will be nice to get a new physical therapist...hopefully someone who isn't so aggressive. I figure I'm doing really well just 3 weeks out...and with all the moving around I'm doing...walking..helping make dinner...other little chores...the bending of my knees will come. Again...thanks for the great quote!!

you're welcome 1.jpg

Hi Pam, I'm back from vacation, Disney and all. I even golfed 18 holes walking and pulling the cart (albeit only par 3). I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing at 3 weeks! I also am thrilled to death that I had both done at the same time! Just don't over do!

Hi Janet! Welcome back. WOW...you golfed 18 holes...and walked!! That is so wonderful!! It's so hard to imagine. Just to be able to walk around the house...either inside or out...is so amazing for me right now. The knees are stiff...but they don't hurt...which is so amazingly strange! Can you imagine being able to golf before surgery...no way! I couldn't have even golfed 18 holes 2 years before my surgery...my knees would have hurt too much. Thanks for your encouragement!! :yay: Oh...and YES...I'm SO GLAD I had both knees done!!!

Pam, I should have disclaimed my golf story by saying it was a par 3 and Florida flat, but still! I was only golfing a par 3 9 hole course with an electric cart the year before my surgery, and at that, had to quit playing completely in July, so I'm really looking forward to golf this year! But at your stage, just walking around the house pain free is equally wonderful!

Hi Pam, it's so awesome reading your posts. Sounds like you're doing really well and on your way to a complete and pain free recovery. I'm glad I decided to get both of mine done in May-one time to be put to sleep, one recovery. I pray that I do as well as you are doing. Take care and remember slow and steady wins the race.

Hello Deb! Good for you getting both knees done together! I will pray that you do well too!! I'm sure you will. Just keep the mantra going...one and done!!! I tell myself all the time "one and done!!" Each day post op that I complete...it's DONE!!! And post op days are not bad at all. They mostly get a little boring. I've got all kinds of things I could be doing just sitting in my recliner chair resting....but I'm getting to the point where I want to be doing all kinds of other things...even housework or walking the dogs. I can do simple things...I even help make dinner now...but of course, I want to do more. But all that will come. You are right...slow and steady is the key! The biggest problem I have now is with pacing myself. If I do too much during the day...then in the evening I am completely wiped out tired. I reach a point where I feel like maybe I'm starting to come down with a virus or something...I just feel like I'm in a funk. But then when I wake up the next morning I'm fine. I thought before surgery my knees would be in agony after they got replaced and pain control would be my biggest issue. Who knew that painful knees would be my biggest problem BEFORE surgery, but not after! I keep up with my pain meds...and the rest of the Bonesmart rest elevate and ice mantra! I've weaned off the Percocet...just didn't feel like I needed it anymore. Now I take one Tramadol before bed. I take an 8 hour Tylenol when I tend to wake up around 4AM. I take 400 mg of Motrin with breakfast around 9AM. Then an 8 hour Tylenol with lunch. Then another 400 mg of Motrin with dinner. That combination seems to be working well with me at this stage of the game. Well, had better close. I've rested for a bit. Now time to do my PT exercises! :dancy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom