Bilateral TKR I Can't Believe It...I Did It!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamx2

Hello everyone! Don't fall off your chairs...but I had BOTH my knees replaced on Thursday morning. Yes, the biggest baby in the world who couldn't make it through a single day or night without crying or having a full blown panic attack has crossed to the other side! I'm a bit loopy from the meds and keep falling asleep as I write this so will post more in a day or two. I will hopefully get transferred to a rehab facility tomorrow....depends if my low grade fever goes away. Hugs to all....and thanks for helping me get to the other side. I still can't believe I'm here. Will also be glad when it doesn't take two extra people to get me out of bed. Whew...I really can't stay awake now. Off to get the rest portion of the Bonesmart mantra. Getting ice too. Love the cryo cuff. Oh, and I took my pain meds. I will do a few of my bed exercises and then all of my Bonesmart Mantra will be covered!! :yes!:

Welcome Pam! I have one word for anyone who manages a TKR which is RESPECT but anyone who has both done gets a TOTAL RESPECT :)
Take it easy although it sounds like your doing EXACTLY what you should be doing! Wishing you all the very best for the rest of your recovery journey :flwrysmile: jaki x

Welcome Pam. Im in awe of bilaterals. So brave. Hope you have a very restful day, keep on top of the pain meds and I will look forward to following your progress. :flwrysmile:

Those who need having both done, I urge you to think of BTKR a different way; you only have ONE challenge, one surgery, one recovery. I couldn't have faced going through it twice. It isn't a brave option (or wasn't in my case, anyway) but a pragmatic one.

The risk(s) are apparently about twice as great as having one done, or very slightly more than twice. But of course you're only having one operation, not two, so it's about the same overall.

But the most important thing to me was that there was no question of marking time. I needed both done, and if I'd waited some months between them that would have been those months basically lost. As it was my recovery was pretty much done at 6 months, that's it, game over.

Congrats and welcome to the other side!!

Rest, enjoy the pain control and extra help while you have it!

Keep us posted and let us know what questions you have!

Best wishes,

Dawn

:happydance: :yay: :egypdance: Whhhhoooopppppeeeeee!!! Great to see you here!

BTKR as Roy said is ONE lot of everything! Ok, around day 3 or 4 I really didn't agree with that statement but now -don't regret it for a moment and you won't either soon.
I hope you are very PROUD of yourself, you should be!:yes!:

Carry on with the healing sleep and drop in & tell us how you're getting on when you feel like it.
Huge hugs :friends:
H x

WhoooHoooo......congratulations! You must be so glad the surgery is over! I know how wonderful that feeling is....the fear of the unknown is gone!

Now the hard work of recovery begins for you! Just remember that each day in recovery is one day closer to a great life with painfree knees! I am on week 4 of my first and will do knee #2 in a few weeks, so I'm envious that it's all over for you! You'll be so glad you did them both at once!

Take care, follow the BS advice to the letter, and this will all be over before you know it! Take good care!

stpat welcome 1.jpg
PAM to
other side 1.jpg
and to the wonderful world of recovery.

You keep following that BoneSmart mantra and you'll be fine. We'll all be looking forward to further posts when your brain is functioning and you can keep your eyes open. (I've taken the liberty of giving your title the Bilateral TKR prefix)

Take care of yourself and those two new knees. We care. hugs 15.jpg

One and done! No more surgery to think about! Get all the help you can and think how happy you will be this fall when you are going for walks and enjoying the outdoors. Congratulations!

Pam I am so happy for you. Now is the time for rest, ice, elevation and pain control. Welcome, The waiting for this to be done is the hardest part emotional. Now you are on the right side for recover. YES. Welcome Again. Tashia

Hello everyone! Before my pain meds kick in and I start falling asleep while I'm typing, wanted to let you know that every day things get a little better. I've been running a low grade fever...but I feel fine. Everyone thinks it's because of inflammation from the surgery. Seems like most the patients here just have one knee done...and they run a low grade fever too. I'm looking forward to the little things...like not needing help to get out of bed. My nurses say I'm already doing most of the work myself. With the help of a PT I walked down to the nurses station last night. Wow...would not have expected that just 3 days post op. You are right everyone...one and done is a good thing to be able to say! Ok...those pain meds are kicking in and who knows what I'll write. :)

Congratulations on your BTKR , I think you have done brilliantly! Take care and keep on with the mantra.

Hugs and very best wishes :friends: :flwrysmile: Fernie

With the help of a PT I walked down to the nurses station last night. Wow...would not have expected that just 3 days post op.
Sounds about right. If you are like me, walking will itself not be too much bother, neither will standing. Not far, obviously, because of weakness, but it shouldn't be hugely painful. Those new knees take the pressure. It's getting to a standing position, and sitting down again, that causes pain. It's why a nice high seat is a huge benefit.

So pleased for you Pam! Slow & steady, which is all you can manage with both done :) Hope you managed a good rest earlier & enjoy another trip to catch up on the nurses gossip later :snork:

Forgot to say...thanks bottomshollow for giving me the bilateral TKR prefix. I'm so happy that I can say I've earned it!!!! :spin: :happydance:

Well done Pam. I'm 5 weeks out after bilateral TKRs. I'm doing well and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

I agree with Roy. I knew I needed both knees fixed and I thought only going thru surgery / recovery once was the way to go. I really didn't even consider it the "braver" option as I think it would take a lot of strength to get it done twice separately.

Glad you went thru with it and you'll be surprised at how quickly you progress. It's hard to get anyone to tell you how long it takes, as everyone is slightly different. I can tell you at my stage, I'm not in pain all the time, walking doesn't really bother me. It's already better than it was before the surgery. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it's not so far away.

Good luck and congrats,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties