THR I can dance already...but should I?

rczone

Country
United States United States
Hi Everyone
I am new here and want to say hello to everyone. I had THR on my right hip 2 weeks ago and I am recovering well...aside from the expected pain issues. I would like to have a since of what other hip replacement folks are dealing with, mainly with mobility. I can move around very well and seem to surprise people when I say I'm 2 weeks post op. But maybe I shouldn't be so aggressive moving about considering the risk. I would like to understand what it is like for others at this stage, and maybe some encouragement to slow down...I think I am progressing to fast. I realize recovery varies from one person to another, but is anyone else progressing fast and how are you dealing it.
Thank you for sharing.

@rczone Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of surgery. At 2 weeks post op you should limit your activity to let that new hip heal. Here are some articles from our Library on this recovery. Item 5 should give you an idea on your activity levels. The chart representation of THR recovery may also help.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi and welcome to Bonesmart!
Glad you are on the way to healthy and happy and ready to dance, at 2 weeks!?:wowspring:
The above links Jaycey left you will be super helpful...I know I felt so much better very quickly post op that it was important to remind myself what my body was tasked to do with the energy I had.
The above articles on healing were very helpful to me. Especially this table:
I can dance already...but should I?

Some of my favorite reminders were
It doesn't hurt until I stop.
And
Just because I can, doesn't mean I should.
Patient recovery can ward off all kinds of unnecessary issues and is a great investment in a hip pain free future.
Dancing included.
:happyfeet:

Hi there
So glad your new hip is doing wonderfully well at just 2 weeks post op.. just a baby hip!!!
I’m 4 weeks post op & doing well too but this is my 2nd THR & know that overdoing things too soon can bite you on the bum later... [emoji51][emoji51]
Dancing! All that twisting your new hip wont go down well!
Of course, you know your body better than anyone... but I’d err on the side of caution for a while longer... this hip is going to last you a lifetime so what’s a few weeks in the scheme of things.
Keep us posted how you are getting on [emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for your replies everyone :)
After examining my first post I realized I may have overstated, much like l think I am overdoing things in general and sounding overconfident. I am still dependent on crutches, still have to lye down frequently, still dealing with fairly high levels of pain. I just want to get up and get around and do things, I'm impatient, having had to deal with this hip problem over 2 years with no medical attention(no insurance), was a nightmare. It's finally fixed, and now I want it to go well...and not overdo it, I want it to be my greatest comeback ever! And I admit I am bit of a showoff when it comes to physical abilities...like dancing, and perhaps not a good time to be doing that. When I examine the charts and protocols, It seems like I shouldn't be doing so many things, yet when I examine my pain levels, they are about the same when doing a small movement verses a larger movement...overfeeding my confidence. Thank you for giving me a reality check, and better guidelines to follow. Before my THR, I was working, walking, working out, yoga...ignoring my pain, and dealing with a double hernia on the same hip side, perhaps now, I should pay more attention. I guess I have a lot of problems with just laying around...there's so many things to get at. My sister is trying to teach me how to do more on the internet, work, etc. from my bed...and I am used to a very physically moving life.

I know... I do know ...all this laying/sitting around gets supremely boring... so many hours in the day unoccupied!
Even the smallest tasks that you CAN do are a luxury to while away an hour or so...
Once I was back to full health I fanaticised about getting half an hour with nothing to do.... ain’t no pleasing me...[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:welome: Hi Rczone, I admire your honesty in evaluating things about yourself that may impact your recovery. My surgery was just a few days before yours and it was 5 years of horrific pain and immobility coming.
I want it to be my greatest comeback ever!
You have made a huge investment in your new hip with blood, sweat and tears so taking things slow and steady will be worth it to protect it. Although we will all be here to support you if you end up in 'The Overdid it Club', ODIC, we would prefer if you coasted along at a steady pace. People that claim they ran a marathon just weeks out are either poor time recorders or just plain stupid in my humble opinion. It's not about hurting yourself to heal but about healing yourself to live. You alone have the power now to decide what quality of life you will have. I think some that push too hard too soon are more aware of their hip for much, much longer or perhaps forever where people that pace their recovery seem to forget they even have it by about 2 years (just my observations here).

When we've had long term mobility and pain issues it is normal to want to do everything yesterday; almost like a kid in a candy shop. But things will be there when your body is really ready. You see people on here quite able to enjoy going to a dance party at 6-8 months but maybe still pacing themselves. One guy uses some gentle dancing in his bedroom as his PT but a good bit further on than you. Anything that causes pain to exceed 3-4 on the scale is probably a warning you are overdoing it (again, my opinion). Groin and heavy thigh pain seem to be a common complaint if someone feels they might have overdone it a bit. You might want to try being in a comfortable chair for parts of the day instead of the bed. It might help you feel more a part of life especially if you can see outside from your chair. As the weather improves, sitting outside is a nice option too. I hope to be doing 10 minute walks outside once or twice a day starting this week followed by some time on the porch. You could explore a hobby to keep your mind busy (I bought my son-in-law a Lego Architecture when he had major surgery last year). I have seen some sad stories about getting into yoga too fast and would suggest you seek people out that do yoga for some advice. How long do you have off work?

Please try to readjust your thinking a bit. You are not "lying around." Your body is very actively healing itself in these early weeks! (refer to the chart in Mojo333's post above) Healing takes energy. Your body only has a finite level of energy to give to you. If you siphon off energy to do non-healing or living things like dancing, lots of walking, cleaning, running errands, going to a baseball game....whatever....you are cheating your body and slowing the healing process. So get your mind to understand that when you are engaging in daily naps or resting with your leg elevated and iced, you are working - at healing. Recovery is definitely NOT just lounging around eating bon bons. :heehee:

Don't feel guilty about your periods of less "productivity" and "activity" right now. You're doing the right thing for your body and your healing effort.

You can adjust, be patient and allow your body to heal. Or you can go for it and I'll bet you'll be sitting in pain waiting to get back to where you were before you went for it. It won't kill you, it will just hurt.

What kind of dancing? Tango probably not:;
Twist? Um no. Slow waltz? Maybe.
I’m almost 3 weeks out and having a great recovery AND I love to dance.... but I’m giving dancing up for a few more weeks. Put on your music... loud! And chair dance:). Your hip will be the better for it!!!!

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery. Thanks for joining us!
I'm in agreement with most stated above, no sense in repeating as I'm sure you've got the general message.
In a nutshell....S-l-o-w your roll.

Here is a article from the Recovery Guidelines you can use as a rough gauge to reel youreself in if you feel like you're overdoing it a bit -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

I hope you had a nice Easter. Wishing you a peaceful relaxing week! :)
@rczone

Thank you all so much,
It is so nice to hear from people who have actually gone thru this...your insight is appreciated. I think I was focusing on too much physical therapy, because I could, and not enough on the rest side of the recovery. Many years ago, I broke my pelvic bone(to which I think is related in creating the hip bone problem), but I recovered from that by being very aggressive with physical therapy...and I came out of that, becoming stronger than I had ever been in my life...constantly increasing the load, the sets, the reps, the range of movement, methodically, every single day. But I think on this hip recovery, it doesn't work that way...there's simply a "time clock" in the way that the artificial part(I like to call it bionic, ha ha), integrates into the body...a new "cushion sac" has to form, severed muscles have to mend, nerves have to adjust, etc. All those kind of things take time. The advice and therapies you've all suggested is just what I needed to hear, and I will follow that. I guess the ultimate question is....with this new "bionic" hip...will I be able to become stronger than I have ever been?
Many Thanks to All :)

Last edited:
I guess the ultimate question is....with this new "bionic" hip...will I be able to become stronger that I have ever been?
I think so...with a mindful recovery .
I certainly am.

But I think on this hip recovery, it doesn't work that way.
You are spot on...
Flex that patience muscle regularly...it's the one that counts the most right now.
Hope today is a Good Day!

Well, you may never match the virility and vigor of your 20's, 30's even 40's but you most certainly can be a exceptionally healthy and strong man in his 50's. Why not...right?
Wishing you continued healing and a wonderful Spring and Summer!
@rczone

I’m 8 days in and I’m doing 10-15 min walks 2x day outside on crutches now - I don’t necessarily get too far though. The walker is put away now. Clinic wanted me to do some simple physio exercises 4x day but I’d rather spend my limited energy walking outside but I do try to work thru them a couple times a day. And lots of naps still but I’m doing better than I had hoped
Sleep is improving but I really hate sleeping on my back.

I was an active dancer too, and when I realized that I was sitting out way more than I was dancing, I knew it was time to go dancing with my orthopedic surgeon. I learned early on in the recovery process that overdoing it often didn't show up until the next day...making it "painfully" easy to overdo in a big way. I learned that it was way better to do 10 minutes of walking 10 times a day, than to do an hour of walking all at one time. I learned to increase the ten minutes in small increments rather than large, and then to wait an extra day to see how my body felt about it. With my first hip, I resumed dancing at 4 months....and I eased back in slowly. It was a full year before I was back to full activity.

And by then the other hip was the squeaky wheel, so I did it all over again. The second hip was an even easier recovery, and I was back on the dance floor....just a little....at two months.

I am grateful that this surgery gave me back the enjoyment of experiencing music through dance. I have to be honest and say that I did not ever recover the full sense of precision or fluidity that I once had. I was in my 60s when I had the surgeries, and aging has brought a few balance issues into the mix. Arthritis still causes stiffness in other body parts. That's okay... I enjoy dancing differently, but I still enjoy.

You, rczone, have the advantage of being younger to begin with, so I think you have many years of enjoyable use of your body ahead of you... stronger or not. Word of warning: these years go fast!! It may seem counter-productive, but a year of patience now will pay off for many years to come.

It is wonderful hearing from all of you. I am definitely working a new workout physical therapy than what I'm used to. I suppose a body can get stuck in the time realm, limitations as we age. I only know, I was stronger at 26 than I was at 16, and stronger at 36 than I was at 26, and stronger at 46, than I was at 36...so it would seem the logical progression would be...stronger at 56, than 46. I once danced with a 96 year old granny at a campfire, I was amazed how agile and perfected she was...and how did she do that, at that age?...she must of had a routine, and a "comeback" routine, unsurpassed. I take seriously the caution, and the slow progression advice everyone is sending...I can tell my body needs it that way. Thank you all for slowing me down, making me realize, there is time involved and careful coordination, and being careful not to overdo it, and I've done that a few times with regret.
I admire all of you women, for getting back into life, dancing again...and beyond. And your experience and smarts about all of this.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009